Auction? Much more than that!!!!

Steve Moskowitz

I like the first of Packard32's video links above which begins with what appears to be Mr. Hartung's ashes.

While a bit dusty, the collection seems well organized and displayed. A list of categories alone would take a couple pages!

Phil

I keep wondering how this auction will be handled. Open the door and sell the items closest to the door then move in to the next item after the first is removed until the building is empty? The A.K. Miller collection is the largest collection I ever watched sold off and that was nothing compaired to this.

I posted this on Fordbarn but thought I'd add it here.

Everyday that I wake up there is more information coming to light.

Hemmings' Blog posted a short story which included the attached picture; a sign that stood at the entrance to the museum listing the cars on display.

So, whilst drinking my morning coffee, I went through and typed out all of the cars, 81 total including 39 Model A's. There are still a bunch of little things that I can't make out, those are mainly the motorcycles and bikes. Also; these are only the cars/trucks inside the building. He has a lot more scattered elsewhere.

hartung_03_1000-700x933.jpg

? marks indicate I can't decipher the sign.

Top Row, Left to Right

Horse Drawn Sleigh

1959 Edsel four door sedan

1941 Lincoln Zepher 12 Cylinder Continental

1936 Lincoln custom twin nose sedan Zepher

1927 Henney Limousine Four Door

1928 Model A One ton truck w/??? Rear end

1921 Model A City of Chicago Paddy Wagon

1937 Pontiac Four door sedan

Left Column

1909 Model T ??? Body

1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

1937 Ford Two Door

1941 Ford Four Door

1938 Ford Two Door

1935 Ford SW Coupe

1934 Ford Phaeton

1932 Ford Two Door (??)

1932 Ford Two Door (??)

1932 Essex Terraplane

1924 Model T Four Door

1914 Model T Touring

1 Model T Touring

1916 Model T Center Door

1928 Model A Two Door

1931 Model A Sport Coupe

1930 Model A Coupe

1931 Model A Cabriolet

1928 Model A Phaeton

A/T Model A/T Touring [I believe this is an A body on a T chassis]

1931 Model A Roadster

???

19?9 Popcorn Wagon

Center Left Column

1949 Veritas Roadster Convertible

1926 Hertz Touring

1924 Model T "C" Cab

1940 Mercury Deluxe Conv

1936 Ford Cabriolet

1947 Crosley Station Wagon

1931 Model A ???(1911 Pope, 1901 Wagner, 1902 "FN", 1928 Henderson)

1929 MOdel A Couple (Blk)

1934 Armstrong Sidelle

1924 Model T Peddler's Wagon

1928 Model A Special Coupe

1916 Model T Police Car

1959 Fiat Spyder

Center Right Column

1958 Cadillac Eureka Hearse

1933 Ford Model C Truck

1931 Model A 1 1/2 Ton Stake Truck

1922 Studebaker Truck

1930 Model A Truck (Flatbed)

1926 Model T Two Door Sedan

1915 Model T Touring

1937 Rolls Royce Alumninum Body

1959 Bentley Four Door Sedan

1934 Sunbeam Talbot Four Door Sedan

1932 Worthington Tractor

1950 Edwards Roadster

Right Column

1929 Model A Roadster Pickup

1930 Model A Four Door

1930 Model A Fire Dept Truck

1931 Model A Slantwindshield Four Door

1930 Model A Cabriolet

1928 Model A Four Door

1930 Model A Two Door

1931 Model A Coupe

1930 Model A Four Door

1928 Model A Two Door

1929 Model A Roadster Pickup

1931 Model A Four Door

1931 Model A Four Door

1931 Model A Victoria

1930 Model A Coupe

1931 Model A Pickup

1931 Model A SW Four Door

1930 Model A Coupe

1928 Model A Sport Coupe

1930 Model A Pickup

1931 Model A Panel Delivery

1931 Model A Slant Windshield Cabriolet

1930 Model A Four Door

1931 Model A Two Door

1929 Model A Phaeton

-Tim

Guest Dave Boyer

The more I see, the more I want to go....

I've been to other RM auctions in the past, what they do, is print up a program, and go through the list of items. Generally they have everything open for viewing, but nothing runs through a ring like Barrett Jackson.

The more I see, the more I want to go....

I've been to other RM auctions in the past, what they do, is print up a program, and go through the list of items. Generally they have everything open for viewing, but nothing runs through a ring like Barrett Jackson.

That's gonna be one THICK program!!

Guest Dave Boyer
That's gonna be one THICK program!!

The last one I was at, had over 100 cars, it's was as thick as a car magazine.

It was nicely run, and after that, for about a year and a half, RM mailed me regular catalogs....probably had nothing to do with the bank letter I turned in at the auction :rolleyes:

I want a Model T in the worst way, but I doubt this would be the place to go buy one...

Gentleman, no catalog. No time! I have been told by RM the newspaper style "program" is what they are going to do. They will hand those out at Hershey plus I am sure send it to all their regular customers. This is actually an Auctions America sale (part of RM). As I previously said, I will be at the site on Friday and will get more facts. Also, as usual, they will probably have the program online as well.

Thanks Steve!Will you be able to find out how they plan to sell stuff? The model A Fords have shelves of stuff sitting on the hoods, will that be sold in box lots and removed from the building, then the bicycles, motorcycles etc to allow a good look at the cars? Just keeping track of the items and seeing that they get in the hands of the winner bidder looks like an overwhelming task. Have fun! Bob

Guest Gary Hearn

I think that I should send my wife to this sale. She will learn firsthand that:

A) I have very little "stuff" in comparison with others,

B) "Stuff" is actually valuable, and,

C) There is a way to dispose of it after I am gone.

We...we visited the site today. Just overwhelming. The building is old Bob and certainly Lee had been stashing things away forever. RM's staff are already on scene and were getting dumpsters to remove much of the real junk and the tree company will arrive on Monday to cut the trees down. The property (I'm guess 4 acres or so) has to be worth a fortune. RM is planning about a 40 page newspaper to list much of the material in categories. You Model A guys will love this sale and the license plate collectors will go nuts. The will sell the license plates by state (all the plates per state in one pkg) Out of respect for Marge and her son who were there we did not take pictures as they will be plentiful in the days to come. Of course the one item I really want will not end up in my GARAGE, if you get the hint. There are a ton of affluent buyers already interested in this item. The Bikes and motorcycles are amazing! Anyway, the RM staff have a real challenge ahead of them. It was nice walking down memory lane as Marge knew a lot of my friends and we looked over old Illinois Region newsletters. Make sure you get this newspaper while in Hershey.

I spent some time reviewing videos of the "museum." One item I did notice was a dealer license plate frame from the dealer who sold my 62 Olds originally, and also from whom I bought it in 2005 after it closed.

Needless to say, that piqued my interest, and I am toying being in attendance. Of course the real question is, "How many license plate frames that I do not want/need would I have to buy to get the one I want?"

I have to agree, RM has a real challenge here. Items will have to be sold in very large lots, or they will never be able to get through all the inventory in a month of auction days!

Thanks for the update, Steve. I was talking with some historian friends who said that word of the auction has spread beyond the wheel-centric crowd to the police/fire historians and keepers of local Chicagoland history - if it's true that Mr. Hartung acquired most of his items within a 15-mile radius, there's bound to be plenty of things that the local museums might be interested in too; the photo of the radiator with the 'Northbrook' badge (well, the badge itself) comes to mind, and the airplane engines might well have come from the old Sky Harbor airstrip not far from there.

Do you think this will be something a spectator like me could attend or will it be bidders-only?

Edited by Malo48 (see edit history)

I posted a link to the auction on the Ford Barn website, and others have posted YouTube tours of the collection, it is truely amazing. From the sound of things the walkway is gravel, is there a concrete slab that everything is sitting on? I'd really like to know how the auction will be run, on site or in an even larger warehouse were items could be viewed?

the entire garage had a gravel floor and the stuff in the far west corners were sunk down to the axels

The Lee Roy Hartung Collection will be offered for sale by Auctions America by RM in partnership with RM Auctions during a multi-day sale in Glenview, Illinois, November 3-5, 2011.

The Hartung Collection was amassed over five decades by the late Mr. Lee Roy Hartung for display in his private museum. From motor cars to motorcycles, bicycles, license plates and other vintage memorabilia, the collection is comprised of items Hartung acquired locally, many from within a 15-mile radius of his Glenview location.

Following his passing in May 2011, Hartung’s collection will be offered without reserve in November, presenting a range of ownership opportunities for those looking to continue his legacy. In fact, in Lee Roy’s own words and sentiments, he always viewed himself as a caretaker to the items in his collection, and he anticipated its dispersal to appreciative collectors greatly.

“Lee Roy Hartung was the ultimate collector with an incredible passion for history and a remarkable eye for originality,” says Rob Myers, Chairman & Founder, RM Auctions and Auctions America by RM.

“We are honored to have been entrusted with the sale of his vast collection. In terms of its originality and diversity, it is unmatched, presenting a true treasure chest and range of exclusive ownership opportunities for the savvy collector,” Myers adds.

For the motoring enthusiast, the collection is highlighted by a series of highly-original motor cars, from a rare BMW Veritas Convertible with a Spohn body to a Edwards that won two races in its class at Pebble Beach, as well as a collection of Ford Model T, Model A and V-8 motor cars, many presented in all-original condition.

Those with an affinity for classic two-wheelers will appreciate the collection’s series of vintage motorcycles, including an all-original 1911 Pope, a 1912 Sears Twin and a time-warp 1913 Flying Merkel Twin, which with its original paint and lettering is believed to be one of the most original examples in existence.

Beyond motorized vehicles, Hartung was also known for his avid love of bicycles, which like almost everything in the collection remain in time-warp, original condition. Highlights include a like-new 1934 Iver Johnson, an Elgin Bluebird and a Schwinn Aerocycle.

For the mechanical engineering enthusiast, the collection boasts a large assortment of NOS Ford parts, highlighted by Ford “Speed Equipment,” including heads, carburetors and upgrade kits, many of which have never been used.

Rounding out the collection is an diverse assortment of other collectibles including: an extensive collection of hit and miss engines; vintage outboard motors; vintage toys and antiques; aircraft engines; promotional models; automotive mascots and motometers; automotive badges and emblems; political buttons and ephemera; porcelain signs and advertising; typewriters and housewares; fire and law enforcement memorabilia; and petroliana and gas pumps.

The Lee Roy Hartung Collection auction will be held on-site at the Hartung Museum in Glenview, Illinois November 3-5, 2011 with a two-day auction preview on November 1-2.

For more information, visit www.auctionsamerica.com.

We went to view the Lee Hartung estate in August 2011 and took hundreds of photos of the collection and have taken addional photos the last few days showing how Auctions America by RM has cleared out the building and started the sorting process and I am working on the video right now and will be posting it. You know how I love to make my videos!

Auction - Glenview, Illinois, November 3-5, 2011.

Debbie:eek:

Just how do they plan on sorting things, will they rent tents and turn the site into a Civil War encampment replica? The size of the collection is just overwhelming. Looking forward to photos & videos! Bob:)

We went to view the Lee Hartung estate in August 2011 and took hundreds of photos of the collection and have taken addional photos the last few days showing how Auctions America by RM has cleared out the building and started the sorting process and I am working on the video right now and will be posting it. You know how I love to make my videos!

Auction - Glenview, Illinois, November 3-5, 2011.

Debbie:eek:

My eye in the area tells me the entire area has security fencing around it now. Security day and night. An estimated 300 x 300 ft tent has been set up. Sounds like it may end up the auction of the year. Went on the RM site to see about registering as a bidder just in case an a item would attempt to follow me home. $50.00 fee to sign up and requires proof of about $2,000.00 to your name.

Standard op at their auctions.

Hey Steve, I was wondering if you wanted to send me your wallet so I can run with the Big Dogs? :D:D:D

Mark, you are welcome to my wallet. This will allow you to run with the Chihuahuas not the big dogs. Besides the wallet has nothing in it.:P

They cut down the trees on the property in order to put the tent up. This is going to be quite the spectacle and I guess a treasure hunt for the motorcycle guys as they found a lot of buried parts when they started moving the cars out.

Alas, no major Oldsmobile treasures! 1 very cool Hubley truck in the original box though for you truck guys. 1 "erector set" in the original box caught my eye as well as I think it was one of the first ones. As you can see I tried to concentrate on what I MIGHT be able to afford.

$50.00 fee to sign up and requires proof of about $2,000.00 to your name.

Standard op at their auctions.

Hmm? Seems to me the last time I checked the sign up fee was only $20? I'll have to go back to the RM site and take another look? I do not know if I want to pay $100 for me and the Mrs. just be a part of the onlooking crowd?

Guest Dave Boyer

I'm going to call RM this week, and see if they will send me one of those "papers"

Depending on the weather...I may just go for the experience, of seeing it all.

When I was much younger, I got to experience something along the same lines up here in Ontario, 3 different properties owned by the same guy, that were pretty packed with cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll pass on this one due to the up front expense, but I'm glad they're setting up some security. At the recent Edmiston sale some desirable items "walked off" between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Most folks in the old car hobby are upstanding, but unfortunately, as in other human activities, there are a few weasels.

I've had more Veritas Automobiles than most anyone else. I'll not be there... this one is going to get stupid. My guess is the whole thing will be a Zoo........ and honest there's my memory of Lee.... this would have been his best story ever if he'd lived to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I originally posted this on Fordbarn but will repost here.

Wow.Wow.Wow.

I had set aside 2 hours to see the auction preview yesterday. 5.5 hours later I was walking out of the place and still didn't get to see everything I wanted to.

RM/Auctions America did a lot of work on the property to get it to the point where they are able to start auctioning stuff off. I spoke to one rep who has been on site for the past 8 weeks and another guy who has been there since June.

I took about 360 pictures and posted them to Photobucket. Hartung Auction pictures by ModelAYouth - Photobucket

The old museum has been emptied out and all of the stuff that at one point was buried and hidden and unknown, is out on tables, to touch and play with.

IMAG0053.jpg

A lot of vehicles were outside.

DSCN4619.jpg

DSCN4621.jpg

DSCN4417.jpg 20,XXX engine number with a winfield head.

DSCN4426.jpg

DSCN4448.jpg

Parts everywhere

DSCN4386.jpg

DSCN4382.jpg

Cars inside, about 40 of them.

DSCN4535.jpg

DSCN4540.jpg

Just all around interesting stuff.

DSCN4664.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg 1st issue.

DSCN4498.jpg

DSCN4365.jpg

I registered to bid at 6pm last night and was bidder number 238, so there will be a lot of people there. They have 1,700 lots that will be auctioned off. They were still auction people running around putting lot numbers on items all day. A lot list was available around noon and runs about 20 pages front and back.

Overall it was an impressive amount of stuff that will be hard pressed to find such a collection in the future. I'll be at the auction these next three days, more as an observer than a bidder, I'm sure things will go for crazy prices. Will be interesting to see how it all goes. The one item I had wanted and the main reason I've been so excited about this auction is not up for bid, it was kept by the heir as it had been a present she had bought for Mr. Hartung and she wanted to keep it. Can't fault her for that.

Oh, and I'm sure people were wondering but the one guy with the auction company we were talking to told us the auction company is estimating $8 million total sales. The property is for sale at $4 million. Not bad for a junk collector who lived in a trailer.

-Tim

End of day one. Prices are extremely stable and possibly very inflated. Many nice parts here. It makes you wonder where the rest of the cars went. Most stuff was bought and stored.

This fellow was a collector. Not a restorer or dealer.

This sale has no on-site parking and AA has had a huge challenge to pull this off. However,

I did expect more from them given their expertise. Checking out and pick-up could be smoother and quicker. Looking forward to tommorows lots. The quantity of parts here is i

ncredible and an experience in itself. More later.

Dennis