Select 60...for sale??

Bushwack

"All the guys from the Reatta club kept calling him and telling him it was worth $15,000".

I suspect it was not folks from the "Reatta club" but general folks who read about this car here in this forum that made all the calls. I don't know the percentages but I would guess about 50% of the folks on this forum do not belong to the Reatta division.

"All the guys from the Reatta club kept calling him and telling him it was worth $15,000".

I suspect it was not folks from the "Reatta club" but general folks who read about this car here in this forum that made all the calls. I don't know the percentages but I would guess about 50% of the folks on this forum do not belong to the Reatta division.

That's probably true, Jim. But nonetheless...

Jim,

Marck is indeed correct. I'm probably the only person who didn't talk about the car here, but actually had a good friend who lives in Houston go look at the car, and take multiple photos that he sent on to me.

when he arrived at the lot, the first thing the guy said was: "you must be from the Reatta club, because I've gotten over 50 calls from guys in the club, and they told me it was worth a lot more than I originally wanted".

as Marck mentioned, the starting bid on eBay when the dealer gets it listed will be $9,500, which is a far cry from the $2500 he originally wanted, and before the well was totally poisoned by all of the calls from non-buyers.

this is exactly the same "trial by forum" we had here with that last Select Sixty in Cincinnati a little over a year ago. we had a lot of pipe-puffers speculating that it just HAD to be rusty underneath just because it was from Ohio, in spite of the low mileage, and the fact it wasn't winter-driven.

I had called and warned the dealer in Cincinnati the phone would ring off the hook with non-buyers, and it sure enough did. he called me two weeks later, and said they all said they were "Reatta club folks".

the total irony is the guy who ultimately bought the car was the real winner. in spite of the pipe-puffers positive speculation about that gosh dern undercarriage rust, the car went on to win first place at the Reatta show in Ames, and after that was for sale for several times what he paid for it.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Some of Mike's story is correct. the Cincinatti car sold to a fellow in Springfield MO for $8,000. The car scored between 385 and 400 points at Ames and received a gold award (not first place). About 6 months after Ames he sold it for $14,000, not "several time what he paid"

Now lets address the seller in Houston. Is he greedy or just a typical used car dealer that will do whatever necessary to make a profit?

I know of at least two serious buyers. The seller did not sell to them, even in a bidding war because he was uninformed about the car and some of the callers probably over exagerated the value of the car.

If Tom is correct, and it is a hurricane car, what might be wrong with it that you cannot see?

From the pictures, the front and rear black painted rub strips appeared to be peeling, we could speculate why, such as it might have also been wrecked and repainted at some time and the hurricane winds caused the damage. The airbag shows signs of flaking paint, that would indicate that it has been replaced and repainted. I have viewed lots of Reattas and have never seen one with flaking paint on the airbag.

Also the Houston car was not running at the time the ad was placed. As a experienced used car dealer, he place a price on the car then reneged.

I just talked to the Dealer Ship that has it and they still have it and like some one mentioned they found out what they have. The problem with it is that the gas in the tank, carb and fuel pump had turned to goo because it had set for along period of time. They cleaned everything up and it runs like a watch. Also they found that it only had 39K miles on it. They are continuing to work on it and then plan to put it on E-Bay. They have a list of about 5 serious so called buyers including my self. Should have snappep that one up a month ago.

I just talked to the Dealer Ship that has it and they still have it and like some one mentioned they found out what they have. The problem with it is that the gas in the tank, carb and fuel pump had turned to goo because it had set for along period of time. They cleaned everything up and it runs like a watch. Also they found that it only had 39K miles on it. They are continuing to work on it and then plan to put it on E-Bay. They have a list of about 5 serious so called buyers including my self. Should have snappep that one up a month ago.

No doubt if someone had gotten to it early on they would have walked (well towed anyway) away with it for $2.5K. Hey thats what the dealer wanted before he was deluged with questions - whats fair is fair and if I had been in the Houston area I would have jumped on it (even though I have no place to put it, LOL)