Just thought of something I wanted to ask about a '55 Lincoln

John_Maine

I was at a car show last month and was looking at a '55 Lincoln Capri 2 door hardtop. Looking at the dash, I saw a starter button to the left of the steering column. My first thought was that there was something wrong with the ignition switch or something, so the owner installed this starter button. As I was looking, the owner came up to the car so I asked him about it and he said no, that Lincolns still had a starter button in '55. I thought starter buttons had gone away by '55 and was really surprised that Lincoln, of all cars, still had one. This has to be the last use of a starter button until recently. Now they seem to be all the rage again. Just wondering if Lincoln was the last to use one back in the 50's.

The 'Carter Carstarter' carburetor based switch was in use on Buicks from 1939-54 and on Packards from 1941-53.

Edit: Just realized that the date range I used above for the Buick is from a Motor's Auto Repair Manual from 1954... so the 1954 end date for Buick ain't necessarily so. 1953 is correct for Packard. I should stick with what I know! :o

Edited by JD in KC
another correction (see edit history)