reatta interior light problem

Guest philhumfrey

Guest philhumfrey

I have a 89 reatta, and the interior courtsey lights (dome, door panels, footwell) will not turn off. I replaced the relay for the courtsey lights, but the problem still exists. Suggestions?

Guest philhumfrey

NCReatta Marck Barker:

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate the help. I checked the slide switch on the panel dimmer, and it is NOT all the way to the right. Last night on the way home the dash lights would all of a sudden get bright, and the lights that illuminate the descriptions for each of the switches on the dash would go dark. I could get the lights to go dim and the switch descriptions to light up again if I turned the fog lights on, or stopped and turned all the lights off, and then turned them on again.

I don't know if this is a separate problem, or if it is connected with the dome, door panel, and footwell lights not utrrning off when the doors are closed.

Again, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Guest philhumfrey

Okay, I've replaced the headlight switch and that seems to take care of the panel lights, but the dome, door panel and footwell lights still won't turn off. What should my next steps be? I have already replaced the relay for those lights.

Thanks,

Phil

Guest Mc_Reatta

Agree your now down to a courtesy light switch problem.

The relay is activated by the BCM in response to either door's handle switch, jamb switch, or the keyless entry module or the dimmer slider switch in the headlight switch. At least one of them is probably telling the BCM to turn them on. Use the diagnostics as suggested to see the if its from a door switch or not.

Guest philhumfrey

okay, I've done the dianogstics (B103, 104, 105,106) as suggested in previous posts. The door switches checked out okay. I switched the relay in the truck for a new one, as well as the relay in the console. When the ingnition is switched off the lights will go out in about 10 minutes. They come on when you open the door. They go out as you are starting te engine, but come back on once it starts. They won't go out when you switch the transmission from Park to either Reverse of Drive.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do the lights go out when you pull the relay and come back on when it is plugged back in?

Check Fuse #9 and make sure it is OK

Go into diagnostics mode BCM Input and select BI01.

Ignition Switch in RUN:

Does display say HI?

Switch to BCM Output Mode go to BO04

Ignition Switch in RUN:

CRT display should alternate between HI and LOW. Does it?

Lights should switch on and off. Do They?

Guest philhumfrey

Hi Mc_Reatta:

I have performed the tests you indicated above, here are the results.

Fuse #9 is okay.

BCM input B101 says Lo NOT Hi.

BCM Output B0004. CRT alternates between Lo and Hi, and the lights turn on and off.

Since the B101 is saying Lo instead of Hi, what is that telling me? What should I do next?

Thanks,

Phil

Guest Mc_Reatta

BI01 is saying the courtesy light switch in the headlight switch Dimmer slider is commanding the BCM to turn the lights on.

Make sure the dimming slider isn't all the way to the right, and slide back and forth several times. IF BI01 doesn't come off LOW, and switch to HI, then the headlight switch needs to be repaired or replaced again. You might try BI01 carefully with the switch disconnected to make sure the wire from the switch to the BCM is OK. If it still reads LOW then wire has a short somewhere.

At least the BCM and the rest of the switches/circuits are OK.

• 3 weeks later...