16V Masi engine project

I finally have been able to start this project. I've started the detailed documentation over on turbo-mopar.com and it can be viewed here:

My Masi engine build - Page 2

I also have pictures on Facebook and am attempting to figure out how to get some videos from my phone uploaded to Youtube.

A quick summary: so far I've found only a few external issues, mainly broken or missing bolts. A cylinder leakage test I performed today indicated massive amounts of cylinder leakage in all cylinders. I'm thinking right now that it has a blown headgasket at a minimum, and it possibly has bent intake and exhaust valves, but I won't know that until I get into it more.

I've not seen a bunch of 'bent' valves but they sure as heck go 'out of round' THe early 80's exhaust valve metalurgy was not all it coulda been:o You will no doubt be putting a set of RDI's valves in it? Uh, funds permitting that is:D If not and any of your stockers are beyond service limit, I'm sure I can be persuaded to part with a stock valve or two... You're the brainiac kind, do some searching and find a set of springs that will give more than 40lbs on the seat:confused: THey need more spring if you want to rev the motor and the RDI dual spring offering is a little bit heavier than I'd like to have. I run them but I fear that I may have several lobes like that one you have (or worse)after 5K miles or so.

I've not seen a bunch of 'bent' valves but they sure as heck go 'out of round' THe early 80's exhaust valve metalurgy was not all it coulda been:o You will no doubt be putting a set of RDI's valves in it? Uh, funds permitting that is:D If not and any of your stockers are beyond service limit, I'm sure I can be persuaded to part with a stock valve or two... You're the brainiac kind, do some searching and find a set of springs that will give more than 40lbs on the seat:confused: THey need more spring if you want to rev the motor and the RDI dual spring offering is a little bit heavier than I'd like to have. I run them but I fear that I may have several lobes like that one you have (or worse)after 5K miles or so.

Yes, I do plan to run RDI valves, springs, retainers, and guides. After talking with Rick about his offerings and what is needed to meet my goals, I believe that he's done the needed legwork and that he's come up with the best compromise beyond going ballistic crazy custom.

I eventually will be running his buckets as well, but not right off as they are expensive and go a little beyond my needs at the moment.

I've been told that the wear on my lobe is due to improper valve lash or an out of spec valve that is sticking in the guide. I honestly don't think you'll have an issue with higher spring pressures as long as you have good oil. There are so many other engines out there that use this kind of design, I simply think things will be fine.

I did just find out that Royal Purple has finally succumbed to having an API rating of SM, meaning they've reduced the amount of zinc. So, that means one of three things; either I'm going to have to switch to Red Line, run Royal Purple Racing oil, or run Royal Purple street oil with STP Oil Treatment. Uggh...I hate decisions like that! :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the rest of the engine apart. If you follow the link in my above post you can read about the progress!

I will be bringing the disassembled engine to the Masi meet in Melbourne on Monday. It will be handed off to Rick Diogo at that point and the build can officially begin!

BTW, I decided that due to this engine not being in pristine shape that taking detailed noted on clearances and such is pretty pointless, so that will be done when reassemble commences! :)

• 9 months later...

WOW!! I didn't know I hadn't posted here for so long!!!! Sorry about that!

I've had some good progress with this project and it can be seen on the links given above. Here are some quick pictures of how the engine sits at the moment.

Masibottomend1.jpg

Masibottomend3.jpg

RDIMasihead4.jpg

RDIMasihead6.jpg

I'm more than willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability, so feel free to ask! :)

It's gonna be one bad mother! Alan....take a close look at the area right near the seats....see how the "shrouding" is gone? You should see the tool I use to remove that material from the head. It's so tiny...in fact, it's almost like something you'd use in your line of work. (i.e. precision instrument)

Note: He will not be running those plugs. Those were just his old plugs. I'm setting him up with new factory NGK (one stage colder) plugs, since we'll be running a considerable amount of boost through this baby. Chris and I set the lash and he can tell you, it's dead nuts on. In fact, we agree with Alan and we tightened up the spec a bit on this head.

Also, you might not be able to tell by the pics, but Chris had me ceramic coat the pistons for him (something my buddy Mike Stimac swears by as well).

Note the Billet four bolt main caps....and on the ends...Billet MP main caps. These will keep the crank in place at the kind of power levels Chris will be running.

Another point to note: The rods (4340) with upgraded 7/16" ARP fasteners. Not taking any chances. As long as he keeps his A/F in check, this long block should be able to handle big power. The motor in my GLHS is very similar to this one and the short block in my CSX is nearly identical to this one.