Sign in to follow this  
Ken/Alabama

39 Zephyr progress

Making progress again on my 39 Zephyr Coupe. Today I lifted the body from the frame. Now I can clean the frame and make necesary repairs and clean the underside of the body.

post-31739-143138641345_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143138641347_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143138641348_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143138641349_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143138641351_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143138641352_thumb.jpg

It looks like you have a nice pair of 1940 Fords as well!

While sorting through my 1939 Zephyr pictures (I'm a pack rat!) I came across some old photos. Is this your 1939 Zephyr?

post-31768-143138643528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

While sorting through my 1939 Zephyr pictures (I'm a pack rat!) I came across some old photos. Is this your 1939 Zephyr?

Must be since the license plate is the same.

Thanks, I have three 40s,Coupe , Convertible and a Fordor. That picture is in fact my 39Zephyr. A friend of mine bought that car from N.Y. area a few years back and I got it from him. I have replaced the Floorpans with new ones from Paul Bradley and rebuilt the lower portions of both doors and the lower extentions on the quarter panels. Now that the body is back solid and sound I have removed it from the chassis. Is this the only pic you have of the Zephyr? If you have one of the front you will know that something has fell on the left front fender and the engine compartment side panel. I have that repaired now with a replacement from a donor car.

Yes, I have saved several other photos of your Zephyr.

In 2003 I was working on a 1939 Zephyr Convertible coupe and I was collecting everything I could find about 1939 Zephyrs.

It's a small world!

post-31768-143138645076_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138645079_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have saved several other photos of your Zephyr.

In 2003 I was working on a 1939 Zephyr Convertible coupe and I was collecting everything I could find about 1939 Zephyrs.

It's a small world!

Where was the Zephyr located when you took the pics ? I have often wondered what in the world fell on the front end of this car. Its all repaired now but what ever it was sure did some damage. Cant wait to get it on the road again. I removed the V8 that was in it and it will have a V12 once again with a Columbia two speed. I would like to see any other photos of this car that you have.

I was always under the impression that under no certain terms should the unibody ever be removed from the frame.

I have a 37 Coupe that I also need to replace the floor pans on from Bradley. Had always thought removing the body would be best for access, but I see you actually replaced the pans first then removed the body in order to maintain rigidty.

I however would like to (if possible) brace the body where necessary, have the body dipped, then do the metal work.

How difficult are the factory body-to-chassis welds to remove?

Jim

I was always under the impression that under no certain terms should the unibody ever be removed from the frame.

I have a 37 Coupe that I also need to replace the floor pans on from Bradley. Had always thought removing the body would be best for access, but I see you actually replaced the pans first then removed the body in order to maintain rigidty.

I however would like to (if possible) brace the body where necessary, have the body dipped, then do the metal work.

How difficult are the factory body-to-chassis welds to remove?

Jim

Its quite a job to say the least. Since I had to install new floorpans that makes it a little easier because when I installed the new pans I didnt weld them back down to the frame,that will be done when the body goes back on the final time.So with the new pans in there half the body is aready loose from the chassis. I drilled and knocked the rest of the welds loose in the trunk area and where the rear wheel wells lap over the side of the frame rail. This is the 2nd 39 Zephyr I have done like this . I would not attempt to remove the body with rusted or weak floorpans or the body sills that run down each side of the body underneath the doors. If all that is good I dont think the body is going to do much flexing,those Zephyr bodies are pretty rigid. I am in the process now of mounting the body on the rotisserie. I will post some pics when I get it on there.

I didn't take any of the photos. As I recall, the car ws a "Barn Find" in an abandoned garage in New Jersey. Some other photos I have are from ebay.

I always theorized that the dented fender and side panel was probably caused by an engine dropping on it.

Somebody apparenty cleaned the car up and sold it on ebay in 2003.