65 Riviera GS??

Guest 75RivGS

Guest 75RivGS

Tried to use the search option for there are several threads about GS or not. Nothing came up to answer my question.

Friend of me owns a 65 Riviera... GS. Doesn't have a window sticker or build sheet, but does have the Protect-O-Plate. Does this plate include information whether his Riviera is a real GS? (thought the plate includes the type of engine??)

BuickRivieraGranSport65-motor.jpg

be66c462.jpg

SilvesterSunset.jpg

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

The GS package was an option. Therefore it won't show up on the POP, nor will the car have a separate (unique) VIN. The dual four barrel engine would have an LX code and the engine serial number would match the VIN. There's a good article on the ROA website that deals with identifying a GS. Chances are that if the LX is there and the VIN is correct, it is a GS. Read the article for the other factors.

Ed

There's no way to tell from the photos if this is a GS. You need to check for the LX code block, BS code transmission, posi-traction, GS badges on the fenders, rear deck and glove box. There's other stuff like the distributor and its ID tag and shorter springs but those things could either be missing, replaced and hard too identify, but if you have the other stuff, I'd say you have a GS.

By the way, do you have a VIN for this car? I can add it to the registry.

The original Protecto Plate will most certainly indicate whether or not your friend`s car is a GS. The trans code, BS, is exclusive to the GS model and is displayed on the P-O-P. The `65 P-O-P also displays some other option information. Post a pic ;)

Tom Mooney

The original Protecto Plate will most certainly indicate whether or not your friend`s car is a GS. The trans code, BS, is exclusive to the GS model and is displayed on the P-O-P. The `65 P-O-P also displays some other option information. Post a pic ;)

Tom Mooney

Tom, that is a good piece of info that I didnt know. Ive never had a car with a POP.

Guest 75RivGS

Hopefully I will get a photo of the P-O-P this weekend.

Beside the transmission code, should there also be the engine code on the P-O-P?

Guest 75RivGS

Thanks for all your replies. Will upload the P-O-P here as soon as I have it.

For the registry: VIN= 494475H918381. Car was registered for the first time in The Netherlands on July 19 1995.

P4270023.jpg

25f554c7.jpg

48747cd8.jpgf01f98dd.jpg

Guest 75RivGS
"would the 454", ???????????, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

From the ROA site:

In 1965 Buick built 34,586 Rivierias, of these: 28,467 were equipped with the standard 401 ci engine (LT), 2,311 with the optional 425 ci (LW) and 3,808 with the Super Wildcat 425 dual 4 bbl (LX). There were 3,354 Gran Sports built in 65. The remaining 454 dual four engines were installed in standard Rivieras as an A-8 engine option.

The engine code is displayed on the P-O-P but even if the code was LX signifying the original engine was the dual quad 425 this would not prove the car to be a Gran Sport. As the above posts indicate Buick produced 454 non-GS Rivs with the 425 LX motor. The critical piece of the puzzle is the trans code. Only the GS cars had the BS trans code and that is listed on the P-O-P.

The typical non-GS LX motored `65 Riv equipped with a standard 3:07 diff would not have a BS trans code.

Tom Mooney

Guest 75RivGS

From a big envelop came a variety of info; the P-O-P:

buickgsdata4.jpg

I presume the X is for the engine and the BS for the transmission?

08-342 is C.M Jones Inc. / Cuyahoga Falls, OH / 2409 Front street

Any info on the other codes?

JJ 629 Z

C 60

A 31

K 30

U69

Guest 75RivGS

But more history came out of that envelop:

a former owner was a BCA member and visited the 1984 Nats in GA:

buickgsdata8.jpg

That same owner (not on the 2008 BCA membership roster) had probably written a letter to Buick and this is what came as an answer:

buickgsdata2.jpg

And also:

buickgsdata.jpg

Unbelievable....I have never seen a letter from Buick documenting an early Riv. The letter head looks exactly like era Buick letterhead...unreal. This must have been before the documents were destroyed in Flint. Your friend has an extremely well documented GS and it is LOADED!

BTW....the codes break down as follows:

JJ verde green exterior

629 custom saddle interior

Z wish I knew!! Some were "X" some were "Z"

C60 Air conditioning

A31 power windows

K30 cruise control

U69 am-fm radio with electric antenna

I have a roster from the Riviera Club which Evans Clagett established. That club pre-dated the R.O.A. PM me with the name of the owner that made the inquiry to Buick and showed the car at the BCA meet and I may be able to supply era contact info to enable you to put together more history. Thanks for sharing Rob! Awesome...

Tom Mooney

P.S. Do you also have the referenced "sheet" from Buick records?

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Rob,

I have some really old ROA rosters. If you by any chance have the PO's ROA #, I may be able to find it for you. I think some of the early rosters were listed by state, so it would be helpful to have the city and state in which he lived. His name would be helpful too.

You've probably figure out by now that some of the codes on the letter are "group codes." For example the R3 code for power windows and power vents is a combination of R1 and R2.

Neat document!! I don't think there should be any doubt that this car is an original GS.

Ed

Guest 75RivGS

Thanks for all the data. Ed and Tom: PM's send.

P.S. Do you also have the referenced "sheet" from Buick records?

The only reference sheet that came with the letter was a photo copy of a Whole Sale Car Order form for a 65 Riviera (nothing added/written).

It is in the photo album I PM-ed you.

Thanks!!

Guest 75RivGS

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PZpDvkpxqVA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

Woodgrain on the door panels were replaced a few years ago by the recent owner.

Tom/Ed: I've added a few more photos to the album (with proof of another former owner / BCA member)

Rob,

I looked through the documents you PM'd but didn't find any reference to an ROA#. Hopefully Tom will be able to help you.

I think the Riviera order form is the most interesting / informative document in the collection for general purposes and information.

Tom,

Is there anything like that in the ROA's library? If so, it would be nice to update the website with this info.

Ed

That is one sweet 65 GS. Wow, that car is loaded with options, and all the documentation you have is pretty cool. Please keep this car in good shape, as it is certainly a very desirable car. There can't be many around like this one with the combo of nice colors/options/docs. Nice score!!!

• 7 months later...
Guest Rob J
UPDATE TO THREAD:

This car is now owned by my brother in law, Leif, in Northern Sweden!

Congrats to him. If he ever wants to sell, let me know. :)