CD Player Removal

Guest Northwestsun

Guest Northwestsun

Hi Everyone,

My '90 Reatta has been running well so haven't had any questions for past few months. But the time has come to try to repair or replace my stock CD player. I've tried to remove the plastic center console trim panel (to get at the bottom of the CD trim panel) but can't get the front end off. I really, really don't want to break anything.

I found some old threads on CD player removal... so I need to remove the bolster under the steering wheel, right?

Any recommendations on where to send a faulty CD player for repair?

Thanks for your help! :)

Dave

Guest Northwestsun

Thanks Jim. I'm very interested... have to get the old one out first and take a look at it. Hopefully I can do that this evening.

Dave

Dave,

The console trim comes off in two pieces. First, remove the black piece. It is held on by two Philips screws near the arm rest, and the rest of the way by pressure clips.

Next there's the chrome piece beneath it. Once you remove the black piece it's pretty easy to see that there's two more phillips screws at the front on either side that must be removed.

This procedure is confusing to most people because the dash trim comes off in one piece. But the console is a two-piece deal.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I just talked with M&R electronics in Michigan. They said it would be about $200 for a complete overhaul on a Reatta CD player.

Guest Northwestsun

Marck,

Do the front clips on the black center console trim piece face down or forward (just underneath the CD trim)? This is where I want to be sure I'm pulling in the right direction.

I've already freed the rear.

Thanks

Dave

Marck,

Do the front clips on the black center console trim piece face down or forward (just underneath the CD trim)? This is where I want to be sure I'm pulling in the right direction.

I've already freed the rear.

Thanks

Dave

Click the link below and take a look at the photos. They should help you understand more about how the top comes off.

Center Console Removal Instructions*-*ReattaOwner.com

Guest Northwestsun

Ronnie,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the pics earlier today and still didn't see detail on the front clips. Again, just don't want to be pulling up when I ought to be pulling rearward (or vice-versa). My guess is to pull up, minus the chrome piece. Will look at it again when I get home this evening.

Thanks so much!

Dave

The two clips are just in front of the shifter opening. Ronnies procedure is backwards, in my opinion - you should leave the ashtray screw in, so that the chrome piece does not try to lift up while you are separating the black top from it. Once the black top is off, unscrew the Phillips screw in the ashtray, and then the two Torx screws near the front.

As others have said, once the main bezel is removed, there are two Torx screws and the CD player bezel can be removed by prying on either side of the top of it. (There are two clips up there as well.)

Since you want to remove the CD player, you also need to remove the instrument panel bezel (do NOT try to separate the black portion from the chrome portion - it is one piece) to expose some screws, and then the under dash cover.

For the instrument panel bezel, there are four T15s - one at the top of each of the vent openings, and two above the instrument cluster. Then pry some more clips. Start with the clip that is centered above the HVAC controls. Then two under the radio, and one on each side of the steering wheel. Again, it is removed in ONE piece. Do NOT try to separate the black portion from the chrome portion.

I had M&R repair a CD player for me last year. I think it was about $175 at the time, and they had it back in my hands a week later. Works great.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest Northwestsun

Thanks for your time and such attention to detail. Didn't get to work on it last night but will try this evening.

I already have the dash bezel removed from when I replaced the radio capacitors last spring and never replaced it, anticipating the CD work. An old thread talks about removing the knee bolster under the dash...

Dave

Guest steveskyhawk

Dave,

To R&R the CD player you MUST remove the knee bolster. Screws on top will be visible with IPC bezel removed. Two 10 mm nuts on the bottom should be removed first so not to stress the little forks. DO NOT PRY on anything. It can all be done with fingertips.

Guest Northwestsun

Hi Again,

Quick update on my CD Player work for my '90... I ended up having to separate the chrome and black center console trim pieces to get at the player bezel. Don't see how it could be done otherwise. And I did have to pry up in the front on the black piece - just a little bit. Also had to remove the knee bolster. Good news is I didn't break anything!!

I found my player had been disconnected... when I reconnected it and inserted a disc it just kept clicking and wouldn't accept it. Apparently the previous owner's solution was to do without... I look forward, however, to hearing Ravel and Debussy as I drive and am ordering a CD unit from Jim Finn.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. I very much appreciate your help and time.

Dave