Pebble Beach Best of Show 2011

West Peterson

Anyone really interested in these cars could find an in depth history in the Dec. 91 issue of the Classic Car. They must have been considered "quirky" even in their day as one period English publication was quoted as:

"One man's meat is another man's poison, My favourite car is an Avion Voisin"

Sadly the 2 or so really great books on Voisin go for $500 or more so neither has made it to my bookshelf. Personally, I think this is not the best example of a C26 but I still think it's cool. That interior is not completely out of the ordinary for a Voisin.

The one book that is affordable is The Art of Bugatti - Mullin Automotive Museum that I treated myself to. In my opinion the centerpiece is the ex Peter Williamson Type 57SC Atlantic, that won Pebble Beach within the last 10 years. Back in 1971 we unloaded it totally amazed that someone could afford to spend that kind of money to set a world record for a car at auction, $65,000 was a lot of money. We used to haul it around to shows on an open trailer, great memories, sure would like to see it again.

Please get me straight. It's not that I don't appreciate the Voison, I certainly do. I have one single 1:43-scale model car on my desk top, and it's a Voison. It's just not the car I would have picked for Best of Show. As another has said, the notchback or razerback design is more pleasing to my eye, and the car that won the Amelia Island Concours a couple of years ago is even better.

I understand, though, from talkng with someone who was at Pebble, seeing the car in person really captured your attention. They concluded, though, that it would have been about 5th down the list if they were picking. The restoration must have been absolutely stunning, but not surprising considering who owns it.

I think the car would have looked better to me had it not been two-toned. But, again, I think you have to see this car in person.

I very much appreciate the Voison, and I even provided in my last response a link to a very informative website. Here it is again:

bricology: Wings, wheels and the impossible house

I think that's a very reasonably stated opinion West. I wasn't aiming my "unappreciation" remark at you in any event. I think Steve mentioned the notchback vs. fastback distinction and I agree with both of you wholeheartedly on that point.

Btw, I want to add "two tone" to the list of "use carefully or not at all when restoring a car". That list is next to "never use whitewalls or trippe lights or extra trunks".

ALSANCLE:

I beg to differ, but NOT ALL pre-war French cars were right-hand drive.

I've owned a great many Citroens, including DS-19, DS-21, DS-21 Pallas, Safari (Break), SM (Series Maseratti), Ami-6, 2-CV (Deux Chevaux), and especially a 1928 Rosalie which was left-hand drive. We won't even talk about the Renaults. Not to be difficult, but generalizing.......

Other than that, I appreciate your comments.

With respect to the Voisin, I'm not crazy about it's appearance, but from the standpoint of engineering, and the quality of the restoration I can understand its choice as "Best".

I did not make it to Pebble Beach this year, but one of my closest friends was. He also questioned the choice, but then he is not a judge there.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Thanks West, and now I had to go back and correct the spelling of "Safari".

By the way, Trimacar also owned several of those Citroen cars :

DS-21 Safari Station Wagon (2 of them)

SM

2-CV

Great engineering, and FUN to drive.

Guest Mochet

That upholstery is something else! I wonder if they duplicated the original.

Many of the pre-war French cars I see are left-hand drive. They do drive on the correct (right) side of the road! My 1921 Peugeot is right-hand, my 1924 Citroen is left-hand.

Phil

post-54178-143138639256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mochet (see edit history)

I stand corrected. I should have said "most" or "many". I was thinking of the ones I was familiar with, Voisin, Delage, Delehaye, Bugatti, Talbot-Lago. Of course Georges Irat was left hand drive but I forgot about that one.

EDIT: Renault had left hand drive models in the 30s too. The Panhard Dynamic has center/right steering.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Mochet,

Thanks for the validation as to left-hand drive --- and beautiful bit of Citroen ad -- Thanks also to Andre Citroen (with his former munitions factory) on the Quay de Javel, and to the Michelin family's support

Yes, I must have driven the ex Peter Williamson Type 57SC on and off the trailer, or to the gas station next door for gas, but never on an extended trip. I do remember sliding into the seat as if it was yesterday, not 28 years ago. In the 14 years I worked at the shop I only remember wheel time in a handful of cars. Truth be known driving other peoples cars isn't something I enjoy, watching Vintage Races, or riding shotgun is a lot of fun, but I don't want to be driving when something breaks. Now back to the Voisin, and that great interior shot. I'm I the only one that tought of WWI Albatros D III aircraft camo? Is that a woven or printed fabric?

Hey Bob, did you get to drive it?

On a side note, I've started a dedicated thread on Voisin since there seems to be a lack of appreciation for one of the great genius's of the prewar era.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

I've yet to hear a correct pronunciation of Voisin, even from their owners.

Voi-sin = Vwah-zaa(n); the single s becomes z, and the in has a nasal sound with a silent n.

As for the BOS choice of the sedan, the upholstery (like it or not) probably had to be rewoven,

and we all know that such outré fabrics were common in Salons and Concours in the car's day.

Consider, too, Peter Mullins' position in the collector car world, which can be a factor in judging at that level.

Maybe the car's overall appeal can't be measured or appreciated from pictures.

TG

See Bkazmer's post 61. He got it right.

That same upholstery fabric has been used in other Voisin restorations as well. i don't know if the other cars are also owned by Mullin or not, but when you go to one of the websites linked above, it shows at least one more car with the same fabric. Plus, the "background" of one of those websites shows the same pattern.

Oui? Oui? Not in my house you won't!!

yes, Marty introduced me to the Wonderful World of Citroens, by arranging for me to acquire three of his cars. Wonderful engineering.

The Voisin is definitely a unique car, and none of the comments should take away from that. It's just not a car that, value and quality of engineering aside, many people would choose from a styling standpoint.

Interesting interior for sure, I speak as a trimmer when I say that I'd get a headache sewing that fabric.....wow....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

After seeing the interior I decided I need to make an appointment with my eye doctor, I think my eyes have gone fuzzy. I knew my prescription was old but... Then again if the judges did the interior last they were probably so disoriented they were unable to remember anything else that happened that day!!

Thanks to Marty and a few others about the LHD issue and thanks to Alsancle for agreeing that not all pre-war French cars were RHD. I know of a Traction Avant and all the pre-war Fords I've seen in pictires were LHD so I assumed all others were the same given the Anglo-Franco squabbles throughout the years

Guest Skip Jordan

Seeing driver and passenger in that shot, the car seems smaller than I would have expected from the other shots.