Sign in to follow this  
HarryJ

provenance

About ~ 1989 (+/_ one year) I purchased a 1928 "L" Lincoln from a man in California. It was from an ad in the AACA magazine. I am trying to establish as much provenance as I can for my car. I can't find the AACA "Antique Automobile" from which I found the ad. I believe the seller's name was C.C. Holmes (Cebert?). Can someone give me the issue of the "Antique Automobile" which the ad was placed? I believe the car spent all of it's life in California prior to my acqusition. I know it was used in at least one movie of which I have a copy; that movie is "The Kansas City Masacre". Was it in more? The serial # of my car is 49600. It was originally sold by the Edward Lowe Motors Co. of either Sacremento or San Francisco. Do any of you readers know or have info on this dealer? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

post-34905-143138637571_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138637575_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138637579_thumb.jpg

Hi Harry, Last I heard Cebert was not well. I would try him as well as Jack Passy, as he will surely know any west coast Lincoln. Both of them were part of the core of car collecting from the early days in San Francisco. Few others from the old days are still with us. Good luck. Ed

Thanks guys.............As far as I know the body on my "L" is a Ford. As I understand it was originally designed by Ray Dietrich for Lincoln/Ford (~1924) and produced in quantity by them as a standard body until Lincoln/Ford took over production. It is a type 147A seven passenger sedan.

Again, thanx, for the leads. I know and have talked to Jack Passey; he has no info on my car. I thought someone would know of the Edward Lowe Motors Co. Or the Lincoln Taxi Co.

From the 1929 RL Polk city directory for San Francisco

LOWE EDWARD MOTORS CO (Edward Lowe Jr)

Lincoln Motor Cars.

2001 Van Ness Av

corner Jackson,

Phone: WA Inut 2000

See also: http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/pages/1054/files/van ness auto row.pdf

The LINCOLN TAXI CO

457 POWELL STREET

Service De Luxe

PHONE:SUTTER 8080

We operate only the latest models of commodious Cadillac Cars.

Our drivers take a personal interest in your pleasure and comfort.

They are courteous, obliging and at your service at all times.

</pre>

147A was built by the Murray company. It is a 7 passenger sedan. 

1023 were built in 1928 which was the last year they were made. 

A total of 4,404 were made. Production started in 1925.

Edited by Linus Tremaine (see edit history)