1927 128 fast four, loose tie rod ends.

Guest TheGerm

The original ends were made by Eaton, they were boxed as ES-7 and carried the stamp of

16SV6

Toledo part # T-878 REPLACEMENT PART #

Thompson ES-3 REPLACEMENT PART #

McQuay ES-3 REPLACEMENT PART #

Under the right conditions you could have the opened up and I persoanlly would not be overly concerned with the safety of taking more material away from the unit making it weaker because with enough common sense a person would only be removing a fraction of material and the ends were over engineered to begin with, in other words there is plenty of extra material.

I am pretty confident though that an alternative end that will work does exist so things dont have to be modified, its just a matter of finding that end.

D-2, can you e-mail me that forum site address, No response from John so either he has not seen the mail yet ( which is most likely as it usually takes him a few days to respond to any of my mails ) or he doesn't even care enough to bother responding to my e-mail.

I don't care either way about that, it is offensive to me and un-ethical so I would like to investigate this further.

Now I see what you mean when you mentioned to me about protecting my work, not that I did not believe such things happen but this just drove it home. Thank-you

1930. On the standard six the tie rod end ball bolt's and the steering knuckle arm ball bolt part number is 174; the Senior has one 174 ball . in the 1919 parts book the steering arm ball bolt number is E 174. Did Dodge use the same size ball bolt on all it's cars from 1915 to the 1930's?

I dont have every part book for every model vehicle from 1915-thru the 1930s. I have every part book ( that I am aware of ) from late 1927-1936 and so I am not able to verify what parts were available prior to the 128-129 series or late 1927.

I do have the master 14-33 but I dont like to rely on that for any specific information.

Maybe if you can be more specific gundog on your question, give me an idea what you would like to know as an end result and why you would like to know it I can be more helpfull.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you are thinking of having some new ball bolts made ;My point was that part 174 is probably one of the few parts that is common all modals of Dodge certainly 1919 to 1928 but possibly 1914 to the early 1930's. if I am right. patently, all Dodge owners could be customers for the new ball bolts.

Oh I see, that is a great idea, would seem odd dont you think that this part never changed though all those years dont you think?

I am assuming you have the 1919 parts list so I guess if anyone is interested in this that has that part in their early dodge and would be interested in this that they should speak up and offer some assistance in the way of measurements just to verify that the part is indeed identical.

I have never heard of an instance where the model specific parts books were incorrect that I can recall and as far as I know the only reason there was ever a part # change was because of a change in the part not just because the vendor changed so again that is interesting and thanks for that.

I do wish that I had a part book prior to your 1919, I am curious as heck now, maybe someone here has an issue that can satisfy our curiousity at least?

Its also interesting to know as you pointed out that the ball is the same for the Senior for instance ( which I verifed is the same on all Senior models ) but the tie rrod end itself is different, I did not and would not have thought of looking at the individual parts that make up the end as I was not even aware that the end was serviced, I thought ( only because I did not take the time to look ) that the end was serviced as a whole unit like modern units.

Well Germ, if Gundog is assuming correctly you have a big responsability to all Dodge Brothers, dont screw it up :D

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Germ, just thinking about this and I would bet that at some point in the 70 or 80 years that these cars have been built Eaton used these same ball and cone assy in some other vehicle wether it be ford chevy or Dodge or maybe an independant, I would start by contacting Eaton, see if you can locate someone there that cares enough to give your request some thought and will be willing to find the original engineer drawings ( if they exist, I bet they do ) and either find a match for you or at least send you a copy of a blueprint with specs.

This would be the place to start I would think.

Let me know what you think

A number of years ago I bought a pair of new/old stock tie rod ends for my Senior ; I still have the original box "Thomson Eccentric" STOCK NO: ES4. they were the correct thread and diameter for the rod but a Standard rod did not fit as it was a smaller diameter.

The parts list is for cars below Car No :350000. As Dodge Brothers found the ball bolt gave good service why change it, it made sound economic sense .The Senior was a heavier car with higher performance , the engineers must have felt some parts needed beefing up.

Edited by gundog99
more info (see edit history)

Should not fit. 1932-33 Chryslers, depending on the model, used ES 6. ES 7, ES 8

1933 - 36 Desotos, depending on the model, used ES 35, ES 36, ES 50

I guess the guy on Ebay has a universal tie rod end

That's kind of what I was wondering. The other thing I was pondering is if SOME of the parts from these would fit the '28. Like say the ball taper threaded stem and its associated shell bushings. That would then mean the outer casting would be matched for a different tie rod but the ball taper may work on the spindle end.

That's the idea I was putting this out there for. To see if pieces parts would work. :o

Guest TheGerm

D2: From what I can tell the 32-?? used a 9/16 ball stud instead of a 1/2". (if someone can confirm this?)By the way the ES-185 I have is 5/8" stud (A lot to take off). 1930: I was planning on contacting some of the companies but Eaton would be the best start. Thanks for the part#! I did not imagine that these were serviceable but makes sense, everything was back then. I like the manual "should outlast even the finest car". I guess they never thought they wold last 80 some years! Interesting design I was wondering why they were cam shaped. May be able to tighten them a little but not enough. I never knew they used the same style at least, that far back. I thought the earlier cars were all the knuckle and bolt style! Looks like I HAVE to solve this problem now! LOL. LOTS of info here, there is a solution somewhere. But this may take some time... It looks like a good functional replacement for now, may be a 1993 and earlier(to mid 70s? If memory serves me) Dodge ram 1/2 ton, 4wd, tie rod. It has a 1/2 ball stud, easily shortened with a good welder and a piece of steel rod. Not that original look, but should be good functional replacement...For now... I still have to make and install this but will let you know how well it works. Not giving up on this!!!