Sill plates..............

Guest HessLakeGuy

Guest HessLakeGuy

Greetings:

I found a 1990 Driftwood coupe in the local u-pull in June that had (according to the last oil change sticker) 212,000 miles on it. This car had NOT been owned by a collector and had a tough life.

Looking over the sill plates I founds they were screwed on with phillips screws, not the torx that my five cars have. The screws looked original to me, all painted black and well worn.

The sill plates were trashed and not worth removing.

May not be a big deal, but something I found unique.

I was going to check the cars at Danvers last month but forgot.

Tom

Guest HessLakeGuy

They looked to be original equipment......painted black, a good fit.

Perhaps it had been repainted a few years ago and new screws were used as replacements.

Guest Recian

It is a possibility they were original or changed at the dealership for some odd reason before the car went out of warranty. Maybe the sill plates were replaced for a defect and I know some trim panels (at least in our nissans) come with hardware to attatch them so maybe the replacement came with a bag of screws and the tech actually used the hardware instead of it's factory installed hardware. I know most screws in a reatta are T15 but my center console is screwed in with some black/dark green phillips screws along with a few T15 torq also

Did someone have the flexible Reatta script for the sill plate for sale, I need some. Remember buying some a few years ago but not where.

Personally, I think it's just best to replace the whole panel rather than try to re-glue a small plate back on.

The script is technically two pieces: One flexible piece and one piece that fills the space behind the letters.

It's very hard to remove both pieces together, and you can normally only remove the flexible plastic part.

I may have a few.. I'll have to check though.

How many are you looking for?

Guest HessLakeGuy

Those sill plate scripts were the first thing I ever bought from Jim Finn.

He used to sell exact replacements.

Tom

For many years I had a fellow reproduce those sill plate inserts for me. They were very good and you couldn't tell them from the originals. I sold them for $ 20 per pair. I am currently out of them and have not reordered them. I am pretty sure I can have some more made it there was some interest.

Jim

post-30613-143138635612_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Those scripts on the sill plate normally look pretty good on the cars I've seen however the grooved part always seems to be scarred up from somebody closing the door with the seatbelt buckle in the way.

For many years I had a fellow reproduce those sill plate inserts for me. They were very good and you couldn't tell them from the originals. I sold them for $ 20 per pair. I am currently out of them and have not reordered them. I am pretty sure I can have some more made it there was some interest.

Jim

Jim, I need a pair for the '89. However, I'd like to get a second pair in case I need them later for the '91.

• 2 weeks later...

The sill inserts are in.

I will send an email to everyone who showed interest.

I do not have an email address for 89 Maui so I will send you a PM.

If anyone else is interested please send me an email at jfinn@cpinternet.com

I sell them for $ 21 per pair and that includes shipping.

post-30613-143138658827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Guest spiering.lucas
Greetings:

I found a 1990 Driftwood coupe in the local u-pull in June that had (according to the last oil change sticker) 212,000 miles on it. This car had NOT been owned by a collector and had a tough life.

Looking over the sill plates I founds they were screwed on with phillips screws, not the torx that my five cars have. The screws looked original to me, all painted black and well worn.

The sill plates were trashed and not worth removing.

May not be a big deal, but something I found unique.

I was going to check the cars at Danvers last month but forgot.

Tom

Thats sad ;.(( driftwoods are rare...