1919 Dodge Brothers car

Guest Utah petroliana

Guest Utah petroliana

Hello, I'm new to this site and wanting some information. Recently I came across a 1919 Dodge Brothers car which had been dismantled and stored in a shed. The frame was hanging from the rafters, the engine and tranny were in one corner of the shed, the back seat in another corner, the fenders also hanging from the ceiling, and so on. The owner told me his father had stored the car in the shed some 50 years ago.

My question is this, what would be a reasonable amount if I were to make an offer on the car? I need a "ball park" figure ($) to see if it is something I can afford. Antique cars are not my area of expertise. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

If I were looking to purchase that car, I would imagine that if it is completely apart, I would offer $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 as long as it is fairly rust-free. But then again, I am very cheap.....o.k....I am not cheap, I just never have a lot of money.

If the thing is in pieces and you dont really know what you are looking at than 1500 at the very most, if he doesent accept than walk away from it unless you have a ton of ambition and patience.

If you have plenty of time as in no rush to sell than learn some thing about the car, get to know it so you are a better informed consumer. You can identify what is missing and what is there. Try to findout what the hard parts to find are and see if they are there.

You will thank-yourself later going this route.

Guest Utah petroliana

@ Keiser 31, Thanks for the input. I was thinkiing not over $2,000 because I don't know if it's all there, etc. Alan

Guest Utah petroliana

@ 1930, good advice. I have been trying to educate myself regarding this car. I'm going back early next week to have another look and I'll post some pictures. Alan

What body style is it? Keep in mind that mechanical parts like engine, transmission, rear end, wheels, radiator, suspension bits are much easier to source than body sheet metal (except for running boards/splash aprons @ Romar). You should be able to search out some assembled chassis photos and easily find photos of complete 1919 cars in the DB photo gallery. Patience is key here. Take a bunch of photos, post them here and we should be able to spot what is missing too.