Waterless coolant

West Peterson

Unfortunately, the thread on waterless coolant was completely deleted. Does anyone have any experience using the Evens product on a car that didn't have major cooling problems to begin with? I understand it is not supposed to solve problems, just raise the boiling point considerably.

Mat Harwood

Have you tried it yet?

I'm still planning on using it in the '29 Cadillac. However, my water pump has a leak, so I wanted to get that resolved before I fill it up with $37/gallon coolant. I'll make the switch this winter when I have time to chase down these little details. My car appears to otherwise have a VERY healthy cooling system--it rarely runs over 160 degrees no matter what the ambient conditions or how hard I'm running it, so I think it will make a good test case.

West, I think you'll still find that temperatures soar under those conditions, and the waterless won't change the operating temps in a meaningful way. However, it will eliminate concerns about boiling over, and the hotter it gets, the more efficient it gets. You may still see high temperatures on the gauge, but you won't be in danger of the coolant boiling and failing to do its job, so the engine will continue to be protected.

I often wonder how accurate the gauges are. As I said, the one in the Cadillac reads 155-160 under most conditions. That seems VERY cool to me. On the other hand, when we had ambient temperatures in the mid- to high-90s a few weeks ago, it read 100 degrees when parked and cool, so maybe it's working as intended. Hard to say.