Starting Problem

Lockhouse

All of a sudden my '49 Super refuses to start.

I have a good battery, the fuel pump is running and I have fuel, I put my foot on the accelerator and nothing at all happens. She has been running like clockwork recently.

I noticed this a couple of times last week and the next time I put my foot on the throttle she started. Today, she turned over and fired OK, but I took my foot off the throttle before she was warm, she stalled (normal) and then I put my foot back on the throttle and nothing at all.

Does this sound like a vacuum switch failure?

Anything else I can easily check?

Big wedding on Friday....

Thanks

The central HT lead going into the coil literally fell apart when I was looking for faults. Would this cause the problem or is it something else?

A few months ago I had an article in the Buick Bugle about the Buick accelerator operated starting system. There are several possilbe causes including the carburetor mounted starting switch, neutral safety switch ( for Dynaflow equipped cars only), the starting relay, the starter solenoid and the starter itself. Try putting a temporary jumper wire across the carburetor switch to see if the car cranks with the igniton switch on. If it begins to start, it could be the carburetor switch out of adjustment or needing replacement/rebuilding.

Joe, BCA 33493

Thanks very much for that reply Joe,

I jumped the carb switch and she started so it must be that. I'll take it apart and see what I can make of it.

Kind regards,

Andy

Well, I removed the starter switch, blew on it a few times, put it back and away she goes like nothing had happened, started first time. I'm spitting feathers.

If I wanted to bypass the carb switch for starting, is it just a matter of fitting a starter switch under the dash and connecting the two starter switch wires from the carb to it? Will that affect the carb in any way?

Thanks,

Andy

That's fine...won't hurt the carb at all...I'd personally just carefully disassemble the switch and make sure it's clean. Don't lose any parts and be careful to note how it goes together. There are a few contacts in there that may be dirty. Just clean them up and you should be good to go.

That's fine...won't hurt the carb at all...I'd personally just carefully disassemble the switch and make sure it's clean. Don't lose any parts and be careful to note how it goes together. There are a few contacts in there that may be dirty. Just clean them up and you should be good to go.

+1