Gold Macoid substitute maybe......

Tom_Overfield

Hi Folks,

Over the years I know that there have been attempts to re-create the gold macoid coating used on the 40 and 41 Lincolns. As I get closer to finishing my 41, I once again thought about this and here is what I did.

I took a rather large piece of the gold macoid coating off a window crank and took it to a local guy who is known for his paint work and also his eye for matching paint that was custom made years ago on various show cars.

He took a quart of clear lacquer and added a candy gold toner to it until he got what he thought was a match to the original coating.

I took an original window crank and placed it into a tray of thinner and the gold coating melted right off. I then polished the crank till is was like chrome.

I then mixed a teenie amount of the gold tone lacquer and using an airbrush, sprayed a couple of coats on until it appeared gold. To little and it is too light,,,too much and it turns rather brassy. In any event here are a few photos of the end result. On the photo with two vent window cranks and one window crank, one vent crank is gold plated,,,the other is the original macoid coating, the third is of the window crank with the gold coating. The last photo is of the window crank with the gold coating and with a clear coat over it.

I like it so far,,,but this is the first attempt, I will play with it more and see what I can come up with.

Tom

post-55048-14313863111_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631113_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631116_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631119_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631122_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631124_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138631126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Overfield (see edit history)

Hi Folks,

Over the years I know that there have been attempts to re-create the gold macoid coating used on the 40 and 41 Lincolns. As I get closer to finishing my 41, I once again thought about this and here is what I did.

I took a rather large piece of the gold macoid coating off a window crank and took it to a local guy who is known for his paint work and also his eye for matching paint that was custom made years ago on various show cars.

He took a quart of clear lacquer and added a candy gold toner to it until he got what he thought was a match to the original coating.

I took an original window crank and placed it into a tray of thinner and the gold coating melted right off. I then polished the crank till is was like chrome.

I then mixed a teenie amount of the gold tone lacquer and using an airbrush, sprayed a couple of coats on until it appeared gold. To little and it is too light,,,too much and it turns rather brassy. In any event here are a few photos of the end result. On the photo with two vent window cranks and one window crank, one vent crank is gold plated,,,the other is the original macoid coating, the third is of the window crank with the gold coating. The last photo is of the window crank with the gold coating and with a clear coat over it.

I like it so far,,,but this is the first attempt, I will play with it more and see what I can come up with.

Tom[/quoteKeep me informed as I just started a 42 Continental and the dash is gold macoid. smiley303us@yahoo.com Lee Waldren]

• 1 year later...

Lee,,,contact Skip Seaton at Skips Restoratons who is restoring Jack's car and knows all the details about the process. His cell is 1-724-984-6500 in PA. Or can be reached at the shop at 1-724-245-2949. Works with the plater regularily. He expects your call. Has been a great help to Jack.