Zimmerman's Model K Ford Touring ?

Guest De Soto Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

Anybody know where the 1906 Ford model K touring car from Zimmerman's Automobile-a-Rama went when the collection was liquidated ?

It was blue at the time it was on display at Zimmerman's...

?

Thanks ! :cool:

Guest De Soto Frank

And there's a blue touring out and about, owned by a Tim Kelly... he supposedly got his from Harrah's...

I am wondering if Harrah's got theirs from the Zimmermans in PA ?

Guest cben09

1952,,Blue K Brattleboro Vt,E.Bemis

1955 red, 640 runabout,Attleboro Ma,J.Hebden

1948 ?? 640 runabout Princeton Ma A.Garganigo

Seems like I'm forgetting one or more,,

Clint Knight Ri,,??,,Thats it for tonite,,,Ben

Guest De Soto Frank

Someone posted photos of it on Fordbarn, and I believe I saw it at Hershey last fall... a truly gorgeous car ! :)

There can' t be many left, that's why I 'm wondering if it's the same car I saw displayed at Automobile -A -Rama some thirty+ years ago...

A photo would he most helpful, I believe the 1906 would have the early style radiator, the Tim Kelly K has the later style. :)

Anybody know where the 1906 Ford model K touring car from Zimmerman's Automobile-a-Rama went when the collection was liquidated ?

It was blue at the time it was on display at Zimmerman's...

?

Thanks ! :cool:

Guest De Soto Frank

I wish I had photos from our trip to Automobile-a-rama.... I was about six at the time, and did not have a camera...

Guest De Soto Frank

Well, Google Images provided some pics that might be helpful...

The car on the left (color photo) is like the one I remember seeing at Gene Zimmerman's - it had the squared, low-top radiator, and the more conventional touring-car body.

The car in the black & white advertising illustration is what I presume would be considered an "early" K, with the "Stepped" high-tank radiator, and the very ornate, European-styled touring body.

post-31225-143138634137_thumb.jpg

post-31225-143138634138_thumb.jpg

Edited by De Soto Frank
comments on photos (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Thought you would be interested in seeing the former Hebden 1907 Ford Model K#953 at the Seal Cove Auto Museum.

Any information about the car's provenance before Richard Paine acquired it would be appreciated. The old registration found in the car was to Dorothy A. Hebden, So. Attleboro, Mass, May 23, 1957. The car has numerous dash plaques for Glidden Tours and meets dating from 1955 to 1957.

A truly wonderful and rare Ford.

Cheers,

Roberto Rodriguez

Executive Director

Seal Cove Auto MuseumSeal Cove Auto Museum

post-69114-143138741474_thumb.jpg

Was this car possibly Clint Knight's car,,John and Dotty were regulars at the Anderson Museum meets,,back in the days most everyone drove to the meet,,,except Terry Kilbourne,,who trailored his 02 Peugeot on back of the 66 hp Pierce [1911 at Seal Cove museum],,,,,Cheers,,,Ben

Here is a decent photo of the 'K' at the Seal Cove Auto Museum... Some of the old dash plaques that came with the car are...

AACA Annual Fall Meet, October 1957, Hershey, PA.

VMCCA National Meet, April 27, 1957, Larz Anderson Museum Anglo American Tour.

VMCCA Viking Chapter Newport Weekend, August 1956.

AACA 1955 Glidden Tour "Welcome to Canada."

VMCCA 3 Day Tour, Woodstock, VT., July 1956

The old girl got around! Perhaps the Seal Cove Auto Museum should tour or show the K again? We will be at Amelia Island with our 1912 Crane... what would be a good venue to show the K in 2012?

Cheers tyop all,

Roberto

post-69114-143138742005_thumb.jpg

The blue K touring pictured above is the one owned by Mr. Kelly. He got it from an RM auction in 2010. He has graciously brought it out to events and I was fortunate enough to get a ride in it during the 2010 Hershey meet.

DSCN3123.jpg

DSCN3128.jpg

DSCN3113.jpg

It is a great car and I'm glad it went to someone who not only lets others see it but also is so willing to drive it!

My knowledge of cars fades after 1964 as I shifted to motorcycles,,,the car group got interested in the size of the trophy,,and I always wanted to talk nuts and bolts and internal tech stuff,,NOT including electric stuff,,,,and little has changed,,

I remember Elmer's car had a beautiful wood windshield frame,,was at the Peterborough Nh meet,,guesses at,,,,1951 or 52,,,Pauline Snook was there with the Crane-Simplex,

The Majors collection was 100% non restored,,,and NOT appreciated at that time,,,so it goes,,Ben

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

OOOps,,,just for the penut gallery,,,,Elmer Bemis ,,Brattleboro ,VT,,,is no relation of Alan Bemis,Concord Mass,,,One of the 12 founder members of VMCCA ,,,Cheers,,Ben

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

Melbourne Brindle's car was in the cellar,,,er,,,lower leavel of the Anderson coach house,,,Mrs Snooks car was a green coupe' ,, the one at Seal Cove I think,,The 66 Pierce I mentioned is there also i think,,,how many 1911 66hp could be left,,haha,,

I'm trying to get a snapshot of Mrs Snooks car,out of the camera onto this thing,,

Do you realize there are 'bout as many buttons on this as on a harpsichord,,w/ shove coupler 4 stops and 28 pedal,,?? oh yes,,Music without electric,,,aaahh,,lovely,,,Ben

Here is the Simplex - Crane at the Seal Cove. It was Mrs. Snook's car (been having wonderful correspondence with her son Gordon about the car). Amazing coincidence that it should come up in today's postings... I just found out a few minutes ago, thanks to research by Vickie Salvatore of the Lenox Historical Society, that the car originally belonged to Evelyn Kimball Salisbury, hence the E.K.S. monogram on the doors and the E. K. Kimball & Co. coach-builder's name plate on the door sill. Can't wait to tell Gordon Snook and Bill Bell.... the provenance of this car has been driving me crazy until solved today.

Cheers,

Roberto

post-69114-143138744024_thumb.jpg

Guest Timothy Kelly

The blue Model K Touring pictured above was indeed owned by Elmer Bemis. He sold it to Bill Harrah in the late 1950s (?). At Harrah's sale in about 1985 the car was purchased by Clyde Ensor. I purchased the car from Clyde Ensor's grandson who inherited it from Clyde.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Had to share a photo of our 1907 Model K roadster. My understanding is that its previous owners include Al Garganigo, Gene Zimmerman, Bob Bahre and Larry O'Neal.

post-58418-143138745575_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

From what I can determine, the Model K at the Seal Cove Auto Museum was owned by Bemis, then went to Hebden, then went to Dr. Sam Scher, then went to Richard Paine and the Seal Cove in 1967. Where Bemis got it is anyone's guess. Ownership found in the car shows Mrs. Hebden owning it in May of 57. "S" monogram on the side of the front seat gives it the Dr. Scher provenance.

Dont confuse Elmer Bemis well known Connecticut valley collecter and Alan Bemis,,,VMCCA founder member,,,,,antique mass plate #3,,,Cheers,,Ben

The program for the "Anglo' meet ,,,,cover was orange,,,Old 16 followed by Ben Beede in Royal tourist,,,Helck painting,,,

On ralley,,,Rod Blood drove Dick Schreve's Lozier with Ed Roy,,,Can't recall Bemis co driver,,,sorry,,,Ben /// Oh yes this was while new England sufferd from hurricanes s s,,Carrol,,,Edna,,,,AND<<< yess Hazel,,,,

I was told the Elmer Bemis Model K Ford had a 1937 Ford rear axle inside the original axle housing. Don't know the reason for this, but it was an interesting tid bit. The 1912 T Touring car I have was the very first Antique Elmer restored just in time for the 1950 Glidden. The restoration still looks good today. Bob