Wanted to Buy: Interior door handle/escutcheon unit

Guest 28SeniorSix

Guest 28SeniorSix

I need two interior door handle/escutcheon units for my car. The unit pictured was removed from a 1928 Dodge Brothers Senior Six. It’s possible other Dodge Brothers models used this same handle, or even other car brands. The handle and escutcheon are one piece. The unit threads into the latch mechanism on the door. Refer to the pictures for details and measurements.

If you have one for sale or have suggestions where I might look, please contact me.

Thank you

Ken

post-54549-143138630327_thumb.jpg

post-54549-143138630339_thumb.jpg

post-54549-143138630351_thumb.jpg

I see, well I am glad that you did not take my foolish advice and break the escutchion handle from the door just to see how it attaches even though it was alreadt partally broken. As soon as we got off the phone I thought to myself why did I say that, I certaintely have more respect for these cars than to offer that advice but in my defense ( if there is one ) you did tell me you had already found replacements.

Let me see if I can come up with something on the handles, I am talking with alot of different owners and maybe I can locate a pair. Will let you know

It looks like ( and by our talk ) that the escutchion will come off of the handle completely by un-threading, is that correct?

if so will you just need the 1 escutchion and then a handle and another escutchion or will you still need two complete units?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I am sorry if I am making you repeat yourself but why do you not want to buy the set from Glen? Buying my own handles from him I can vouch for the quality.

I know they seem kind of pricey but if you figure in the fact that they are polished stainless so they dont need to be chromed and the originals are pot metal which only gets worse over time no matter what you do and even if you were to find a decent set would cost you 75-100 to have rechromed a piece I dont see where you would be saving any money.

post-48869-143138630521_thumb.jpg

Guest 28SeniorSix

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I thought I had checked Vintage Reproduction, but obviously I did not. If I go that route, I would need to replace all the handles and escutcheons with the chrome reproductions since the original are nickel finish and the look would be so different.

At this point in my restoration effort, I will purchase two original door handles if I can find them. I'm just getting started on the restoration. If I get all the mechanical, upholstery, and paint work done, I'll probably replace the window cranks and door handles with the reproductions from Vintage Reproduction for the final touch.

Just a note the reproductions are not chrome, they are stainless steel with a natural finish polished, after time the finish becomes dulled a little if you dont polish. I am not saying they will look like Nickel but I am thinking that it might be hard to tell the difference over a polished nickel to a dulled S.S

Just something to consider

• 3 weeks later...
Guest russellzimmer
Thank you for pointing this out to me. I thought I had checked Vintage Reproduction, but obviously I did not. If I go that route, I would need to replace all the handles and escutcheons with the chrome reproductions since the original are nickel finish and the look would be so different.

At this point in my restoration effort, I will purchase two original door handles if I can find them. I'm just getting started on the restoration. If I get all the mechanical, upholstery, and paint work done, I'll probably replace the window cranks and door handles with the reproductions from Vintage Reproduction for the final touch.

Hi

I have been looking for handles for 1936 pickup and I was reading some where to try thehandleman@comcast.net I did and he is trying to find them now so you might give him atry thanks Russ