Chrysler 77 Need Advice

nick77

You might want to scroll down to the Chrysler forum below. Also go here...

WPC Home - the World's Largest Chrysler Products Club !

Go from the front bumper to the rear bumper and make a complete list of what you need. We would also LOVE to see photos to see what you are starting with. John

post-37352-143138628359_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138628368_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes, it is a nice car. In great condition. The motor runs smooth but I can't get it to shift. I think the clutch is frozen to the pressure plate.

The manifold is only cracked in the center. I do believe the upholstery is original but not sure.

There is mold and mildew on the interior. Getting quotes for interior.

I have found that clutch problem to sometimes be rust built up on the transmission spline. It doesn't allow the clutch hub to slide back when the pedal is pressed.

Focus your attention and liberal penetrating oil on on the hub and spline while having someone actuate the clutch. You might not have to disassemble the works.

Bernie

Very nice car! Wow.

I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration on a 1930 Chrysler, CJ- 6 4 door.

Thanks so much for the pictures.

I'm with Keiser. Does it really need a restoration??

Its easier to take it apart than it is to put it back together.

Clean it up.

Make it reliable and safe and drive it. I love unrestored cars like yours. So do other people.

Bill Harmatuk

On the clutch, if you can gain acces to the clutch plate bolts, loosen them up about 1/8" and while the clutch is depressed, try and drive a knife blade or a sharp stiff putty knife between the clutch plate and the flywheel and pressure plate.

Flattop may be correct about the spline being frozen. My 55 Ford clutch plate is stuck so hard that even with he trans. removed (with the pressure plate still hanging on the trans. shaft" the spline doesn't respond to "gentle" taps with a hammer.

I agree the outside looks fairly clean but the interior has mold and mildew and needs to be redone, I can't get my wife inside. I have some rust spots on the outside I must address and I'm missing some pieces. I believe there is a bowtie piece missing from the front bumper, leather corners on the engine cowls, windshield wipers, metal step plate on top of running board, one hub cap, metal tiedowns and straps for spare tires and three broken windows. Some of these seem minor, but like I said this is my first attempt at a car this age and I'm not sure how far to go.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick