About to cross Michigan in my '33 Continental Flyer

I'm not sure whether I want to test the car's mettle, or my own. I've gone through every system and have driven the car as a daily for nearly a month shaking it out. It'll take twice as long to get there as I'll have to keep to by-ways as the car will only do 45, maybe 50 in a pinch.

Please be kind if I'm in your way. I'll pull over and let you pass whenever I can.;)

IMG_4114.jpg

Good luck Barry, but I'm sure you will have no problem. The Continental engines are a good engine, that's why Billy Durant put them in his cars too!. Take some pictures and keep us posted. Speaking of the DeVaux cousin, there is a good looking one in the Grand Rapids museum downtown. Nicely restored.

If you have the time, take the car and enjoy the trip. I drove my 1931 Hupmobile the 160 miles from Dayton to Louisville last year. Took all surface roads down and back the 4 hour trip. This year I drove the 95 miles to Columbus on interstate highways leaving at 7:00 am on a Sunday. Came back on surface highway 42, mostly 2 lane. I like to get out a stop about every hour or so for 10 minutes, maybe more. Depends on how many people descend on the car and ask questions.

Be prepared for passing cars and semi-trucks to give you a quick beep beep and a thumbs up as they pass with big smiles. I have never encountered a mad driver when on the road in the country but a few idiots in town.

I suggest you find a period correct or very old suite case to store spare parts and oil. Looks good and is a handy to place to put cleaning supplies and misc things. I take electrical things like points, plugs, coil, cutout, generator, and the tools needed.

Recently, I saw a pre war II car with a sign on the spare tire that read with their destination town "Peoria or Bust". I may do that on my next road trip.

I have AAA's extended policy which provides free towing for a hundred miles. If you have a major brake down and need a lift get home, rent a 20 foot truck and use a AAA roll back service truck to put in and out. No trailer needed and your car is enclosed. Had a friend blow a rod in WI and brought his car the 500 miles home.

In 2000 I rented a U-Haul truck and a trailer to move the car 300 miles. The U-Haul girl didn't want to rent the trailer as Hupmobile was not on their approved list of vehicles for a trailer. Finally, I told her I was moving a 1966 Chevy II. The tie down strap that goes around the wheel was too short and I dropped the tire pressure to about 5 pounds. Stopped at the first station and inflated the tires and it traveled fine.

On a shorter trip of about 50 miles I had a Highway Patrolman make a U turn and pull me over. Just wanted to get a close look, we talked and he went on after telling me to have a good time. You will be surprised how many people will come to help if they even think you have a problem.

Barry

In the late 70s early 80s I drove my 32 Buick hauling a 1935 Covered Wagon 17 foot house trailer to California via Washington state.Two years later I used the same rig to go from Flint MIch to Minnesota and then down the Missippi to New Orleans and then over to Florida.

The only problems encountered were a bearin in the fan housing, in California and a generator that quit in Louisina

Enjoy the trip

you may already know that Grand River Avenue, the old stage coach road, goes from Detroit to Grand Rapids, roughly parallel to I-96. West of Lansing they run close together. Libations/snacks available for all Continental drivers.

Back in 1978 I drove my 1910 REO from Lincoln, Rhode Island to Oyster Bay, NY (on Long Island) via the Orient point ferry... the distance was about the same. You'll have a blast. I've never forgotten that trip.

The trip went very well. It only acted up once. I had installed a new fuel pump with a regulator. About 3/4 of the length of the trip it started vapor locking. I raised the pressure from 3 to 4 pounds and it ran fine the rest of the trip. It got about 15 mpg and I was able to get it to 60 mph once or twice. It was very stable and well mannered and actually got quieter the faster I went. The single shackle on the front axle made all the difference in the typical buggy-ride of period cars.

The show went great. The park setting overlooking Lake Michigan was beautiful, even though the show was cut a half-hour short by a big storm that rolled in over the lake. The cars were great, as was the foot traffic. My wife sang the National Anthem and nailed it, once again.

Surprisingly, we took "Best Unrestored Car", which blew me away as we had invited many similar conditioned cars. Now that the show is over we start recruiting cars for next year. Half the fun for me is being on the car selection committee and then actually seeing the cars in person.

I'll post show pictures when we get home.

IMG_4414.jpg

There were a number of unrestored cars on the field. We know, because we picked them as part of our duties as BOD members. It's funny, we've had the Mark II convertible in the show three times and the Porsche once (almost twice) and have never received a trophy. This time we bring, by far, the most plebeian of our collector cars and take one of the top honors. Go figure.

Today was a banner day for me as I got back on the horse I was tossed off of (metaphorically), when I drove the car back from the show on a trailer, not something that I've been able to bring myself to do since I crashed the Porsche inside our shiny trailer 5 years ago. I was tense at first and finally exhaled after the first 10 miles. We parked ourselves behind a tractor-trailer that was doing exactly 60 mile per hour and made it safely home without incident.

All went well at the show. The rain held off until the very end, in fact, it started just as we got our trophy. It really touched my heart to hear from all of the volunteers that worked the show how pleased they were that Gi could be with us as they all seemed to have followed her progress. They all said they had prayed for her and I thank them for that. I believe my update mailing list grew in geometric proportions after they left my computer.

Glynette belted out the National Anthem, once again, as a testament as to how far she has come. She further astounded the Krasl Art Center staff when she jumped in to help break down the show in a thunderous downpour. It was at that point that everyone knew that she was back. At least, I did.

The ride out was slow, pleasant and almost uneventful except for pulling onto a one-way street in downtown Kalamzoo, going the wrong way. I didn't know Glynette's eyes could get so big. Incredibly, as we pulled back onto the right road we ended up along-side our friend Al and his brother Neil on their way to the show, who had gotten lost and ended up on Old US-12. Our Garmin ran out of power about half-way there and poor road markings on Old US-12 made us make a couple of wrong turns that we quickly caught, and made our way safely to our destination.

The car was nearly flawless. We got about 15 mpg and hit nearly 60 mph couple of times. The car was very civilized, as long as I remembered the brake's limitations. It vapor-locked 4 times in the distance of a mile. I simply had to turn up the fuel pressure and away we went. It used (or leaked) about 2 quarts of oil which I'll address this winter.

It took us 5 hours to do a 3 hour trip via expressway, but it was very nice going through some of the old towns that line the way along this old pathway to Chicago. Some look like time forgot them. When we arrived we had the car detailed and delivered the car to the show field so we had little to do this year other than enjoy each other's company. We have asked ourselves why we continue to be a part of this show. It's some work and a bit of travel, but every time we see the results of our efforts, the pure enjoyment on the looks of the exhibitor's and visitor's faces is what makes it all worthwhile.

I will close with the statement, "Car people are the best!"