windshield

Guest diesel991

Guest diesel991

Hi, My friend is looking for a reatta windshield, his got smashed, any ideas where i can find one reasonably priced? Thanks

Guest steveskyhawk

$1500 is a great price for a new Reatta windshield installed. Supply and demand ratios dictate price unfortunately.

As Steve says, supply and demand.

Here is the problem:

21,700 (approx) Reattae produced in 3.5 years, the last of which was made 20 years ago now. Some 70-80% (rough guess, including those that are stored unregistered) are still around. Only one company has the molds to produce the glass and rubber edge molding, and that is Pilkington as they are the successor to LOF, who made all the original glass.

So, for openers, they have you over a barrel - you want a new windshield, you pay the asking price. This is further complicated by low demand. Actually, we are lucky they are still available new given the relatively low numbers of cars still in circulation. Remember, the Reatta windshield was one of a kind; no other make/model used that glass (or any glass from the Reatta).

Since these windshields are made in small runs (my understanding is 400-500 units made at a time) and are then sold down from inventory as needed, they have to warehouse this glass for a fair amount of time. I don't know how long one batch lasts at the current rate of demand, but would not be surprised if it took 4 or more years to sell 400+ windshields, before the inventory level is low enough to trigger another production run. That may be even be conservative, as that would average 100 windshields sold a year, and that seems like a lot to me, given the total number of cars and how infrequently they need replacement glass.

I suspect that we may eventually not have any new ones available, as demand can only go down from here as more Reattas are retired/parted/scrapped. At some point, the demand will be to low too justify making any more as the cost would have to go up, perhaps double current rates, for it to make financial sense for Pilkington to offer them. Of course, if Reattas gain bonfide collectible status with selling prices to match, then there may be an ongoing market for new glass after all

KDirk

It is probably supported by states like Florida that require free/low cost windshield replacement as part of a policy with comprehensive.

Note: comprehensive (fire/theft/etc) is different from and available without collision but why a new policy often requires an inspection.

Is also a reason the a cracked windshield (rear glass is even worse) can total a car.

I have a windshield for you. I'm on the island, came off a babied 59K car (minor accident finished it) that I'm parting out.

I had the windshield professionally removed.

Encapsulation is in excellent condition, no chips, wiper marks or sandblasting evident on the glass and the tint band is a perfect deep green color (no sun fade).

I can bring it to your or your glass shop's door for $ 800.00, satisfaction guaranteed.

I'm about to leave on a road trip to FL this Friday AM, could run it up to you tomorrow (PM) or I can get it to you when I return after about a week.

Guest Richard D

GET HOLD OF RAWJA!!!! I had mine replaced about a year ago by Safelite and the bill came to over $1,800.00 State Farm picked up the tab, Fl. law.

GET HOLD OF RAWJA!!!! I had mine replaced about a year ago by Safelite and the bill came to over $1,800.00 State Farm picked up the tab, Fl. law.

I agree.. Rawja's you're man. $800 it a deal for that windshield.. I was in contact with the seller of the car before Rawja bought it, and the seller said the car was owned by a dealer, and garaged it's whole life.

Down here, installation would probably be about $150. Dunno what it may run up there though.

Guest Squire Tom

also had mine replaced ( due to a non repairable inside crack ) by safelite , insurance paid the discounted price of @$1500. however , my insurance on the Reatta is more expensive now than wife's '08 Lucerne.

i am still way ahead though.

just for grins and giggles , what about the rear window availability and cost ? that one is full price less deductible. what about the installation ?

The original windows for Reattas were branded LOF, which stood for Libbey-Owens-Ford.

When the name Pilkington came up I was thinking there was a new player on the block but after doing a search I discovered that in 1986 (even before the Reatta was made) LOF sold out to Pilkington but they retained the LOF brand name.

In 2006 Nippon Sheet Glass purchased Pilkington and they abandoned the LOF name.

I suspect the new windshields available today from Pilkinfton are NOS that has been in a warehouse for years.

Here is a link to the LOF history Libbey?Owens?Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barney,

The new windshields that one gets now are marked with the Pilkington logo, not LOF. So, they may be new old stock, but from a production run made after 2006 (according to the timeline a couple of posts back).

Regarding the rear window, these are no longer made or stocked so far as I can tell, except for the occasional NOS oddball that has been sitting in someone's stock for years. Prosource glass that posts on here sometimes had a couple about a year ago. Don't know if they still do or not, but if you need one, or think you will, might want to get it and stash it for future use. Otherwise, you will be relying on a used window removed from a salvage yard car.

KDirk

Barney,

The new windshields that one gets now are marked with the Pilkington logo, not LOF. So, they may be new old stock, but from a production run made after 2006 (according to the timeline a couple of posts back).

Regarding the rear window, these are no longer made or stocked so far as I can tell, except for the occasional NOS oddball that has been sitting in someone's stock for years. Prosource glass that posts on here sometimes had a couple about a year ago. Don't know if they still do or not, but if you need one, or think you will, might want to get it and stash it for future use. Otherwise, you will be relying on a used window removed from a salvage yard car.

KDirk

I think I remember somewhere that you could order the glass from Pilkington with the LOF logo on it.. maybe I've lost my marbles..... again...

Marck,

If you go to Pilkington Classics website (the division that deals in glass for "classic" cars, so probably not the Reatta at this point by their definition) there is apparently the extra-cost option to have the old LOF logo etched in the glass, as it would have appeared prior to the mid 1980's or so. By the late 80's, to my knowledge, all LOF glass had the logo screen printed on it vs. etched, initially in a kind of rusty orange color (as seen on original Reatta glass), then later in black.

I looked, and it doesn't appear to be an option on the Reatta windshield, and would be pointless anyway as the original glass would not have had an etched logo, but a screen printed one. Thus, it would not look like the original glass in any case.

KDirk

All well noted above. As a longtime glass company I find the info pretty good here. Our family started in 1953. We must have sold 50+ Reatta windshields back in the 1990's. I remember when $750 was a lot for a new one then.

Pilkington is the only one that continues to carry and produce these. I don't think they run off 400-500 at a time but more likely 100-200 maybe a little more. With the profit margin on something like this, they don't need to make as many and warehouse a couple hundred extra for years when they can just do short production runs every few years.

anyways we have available thru some of our vendors a few NOS back windows if any one is interested. Best to call toll free 877-345-2800 or email direct at richardt@prosourceglassintl.com I only go on this Forum periodically.

we did post a used vent glass with assembly that we paid good money for a couple of years ago, just trying to get back our cost.. see further down thread. Richard