Bristol

1929model75

Debbie and I are going, she's judging, and I entered 2 cars, my '61 Starliner and my '62 Impala. I've been told there are close to 300 entries. Looking forward to it, should be a super show!!

A word to the wise.....if you drive on the high banks, keep an eye on your oil pressure, a car with a reguar oil pan (no baffles) the oil can get away from the pickup.

Does anyone know the details on the cruise-in on Friday night? I signed up, but don't know what time it is or exactly where it will be located. I plan to be in town around 4:00 with my '64 Skylark.

Here is the information I found on the brochure. The time will be 5 p.m. I will find out what street will be used for the cruise-in display and let you know. Friends of ours are in the host Region.

DOWNTOWN CAR CRUISE-IN with

David L. Browning as Mayberry Deputy

Friday evening ~ 5 PM

Display your vehicle on a closed street during

our Friday Night Cruise-in! Security will be

provided for your cars while on display.

Arrived at Bristol late this afternoon.

The following is just an FYI for those that might be interested....

For all those using Route 81 South coming to this meet be advised that you may encounter traffic delays. The are doing road work and blasting around mile markers 126-130. The radio message on 1620 AM around mm 139 warned that the highway would be closed in that area and that they would detour everyone off at Exit 132 to go around the road work. The traffic backed up starting at MM 139. When I got to MM 132 the road was open (No blasting today I guess) although many many vehicles were exiting at exit 132. At MM 126 at the top of a hill (some might say mountain) one lane was closed which caused more congestion and another long backup. Those two backups added an extra hour to my trip.

I was in this area around 1:30 pm on Thursday. No way to tell if this area will be any better or worse on Friday.

I was there today... I live here in Bristol. :)

I went to the cruise-in at historic downtown on Friday evening, it was a nice turnout! We usually have a couple of cruise-ins on Friday nights, one up the street there on State St at the NBC TV station parking lot... then another at Autozone on the parkway.... then on Saturday nights there is a nice cruise-in in downtown Elizabethton, about 20 miles from the speedway. I guess some may have went to that after the Saturday show.

Made it to the show on Saturday around 1:30 and stayed until about 3:00.... everyone started leaving rather quickly though around 3:00. Guess it was scheduled to be over at 3:00.

I took some pics, I may post them here soon.

Hope everyone had a good time and enjoyed Bristol TN-VA. The weather cooperated nicely! I have been tired of the mid-upper 90s we had been having and high humidity... these past few days have been nice.

I wish this could be a yearly event here!

update @ 1:39am - about that weather comment, I guess I should update... glad its not going on now, as we are getting a terrible thunderstorm, high winds, torrential rains and terrible lightning!

Edited by Shaffer (see edit history)

Really cool, I got to meet Dave Mellnor and his wife at the show field.

A BIG thanks to him for calling me when whe saw that the Judges Breakfast had been moved up to 7 a.m. from the 8 a.m. time that was in the Meet brochure. Bill and I had done a dry run on Thursday evening to check how long it would take to get to the host hotel from the campground where we were staying. The sign about the change had not been put up yet so we didn't know.

I was able to then call our friend Rodger Woodrum, also a judge, and let him know of the time change as he was driving in on Saturday morning from near Narrows, Va. I was also able to put a post about the change on the Meets and Tours Forum to let others know. Only about thirteen or fourteen folks didn't get the word but it worked out as they did arrive by the orginal start time.

The wonderful cobbler was thanks to Moepar and her husband. They had picked the blueberries and she made the cobbler which was very yummy. They even brought whipped cream to top it with.

Our sheduled guest, fellow judge Rodger Woodrum, had cancelled staying with us the day before we were to leave for Bristol. I knew that Marty Roth had found a place to stay after he found out that Rodger would be staying with us. And I figured that at that late a time he wouldn't be able to get any money back from the reservation that he had.

I knew that Moepar and her husband would be driving down the day of the show in their HPOF car so I called them and invited them to come down and stay with us so that they wouldn't have to make that drive down and back from North Carolina in a day.

We all had a great time. And the cobbler was WONDERFUL.

Next time Wayne you are invited to share some. :)

I thank you for the invite Susan, and it's good to see fellow AACA members help each other out.

Gloria, Mike, and I are leaving Monday week for the Dual Meet in Santa Rosa California. Snoopy and the Museum awaits my wife's happy return!!:)

Wayne

Yes, A" BIG" thank-you goes out to all the menbers of the Appalachian Region for hosting a great show. Sue and I had a wonderfull time doing all the planned events.

From the track tour to running the Boss 302 on the high banks of the Bristol Motor Speedway. To the car cruise and picnic on State St. On Fri. Night. Great time was had by all. What a lovely area that part of the county is.

Sat. nights banquet was very well attended with good entertainment to start things off with. And the food was good ole southern cooking. You could not ask for anything more.:)

It was nice meeting Dave Birchmire at Bristol.

The laps around Bristol Speedway were a blast after I missed the stalled Caddy. Even though we were all but stopped the banking make it hard to maneuver around him. Talked to Susan Bond Friday night and she still had a grin from ear to ear.

I almost didn't sign up for the banquet (usually head home after the meet). I did attend and boy am I glad I did. It was a hoot!

SPECIAL THANKS TO CHARLIER

You just never know whose trailer is parked next to yours - nice way to meet folks whose comments you have enjoyed here on the FORUM.

Saturday morning of the Bristol Meet, and arriving after Judges Breakfast, I saw that the back-right tire on my trailer was not as "ROUND" as the others -- did CJE, got the '34 Buick situated on the field, met my assigned Judging Team (greaaaat job folks !!), and then in the hottest part of the day, had to change the 235/85R-16 LR"E" tire on an 8-lug rim. To top it off, the Harbor Freight "Made in China" torque wrench broke and I smashed my knuckles.

Thanks to Charlier, who not only gave moral support, but also shared a torque wrench and a breaker-bar. It was hot out there, but less-so when you are not alone.

SPECIAL THANKS TO CHARLIER

You just never know whose trailer is parked next to yours - nice way to meet folks whose comments you have enjoyed here on the FORUM.

Saturday morning of the Bristol Meet, and arriving after Judges Breakfast, I saw that the back-right tire on my trailer was not as "ROUND" as the others -- did CJE, got the '34 Buick situated on the field, met my assigned Judging Team (greaaaat job folks !!), and then in the hottest part of the day, had to change the 235/85R-16 LR"E" tire on an 8-lug rim. To top it off, the Harbor Freight "Made in China" torque wrench broke and I smashed my knuckles.

Thanks to Charlier, who not only gave moral support, but also shared a torque wrench and a breaker-bar. It was hot out there, but less-so when you are not alone.

Marty, You are so very welcome. Always happy to help out.

So great to meet you at Bristol and put a face and name to a fellow DFer. You did a fine job of hosting the "Trailer Tire Changing Seminar & Discussion Forum Get Together" on Saturday. ;) It was also nice to walk and talk on the show field and to see your '34 Buick in person. Congratulations on your Senior Award for the Buick. BTW, how did you make out with getting your tow vehicle repaired?

novaman, It was nice spending some time with you and your Dad at the meet and share a table at the banquet with the two of you and Peter H.

Many THANKS to the Appalachian Region for putting on a Great Event. The staffers were so Friendly and Helpful during the event and the Bright Orange T-Shirts made them so easy to find.

Yeah, how'd you like that beautiful '96 Suburban that Marty was towing his trailer with?

It's identical to the one that sits in my driveway.....oh, wait, it IS the one that sits in my driveway!

On a previous thread, Marty commented about the spares and tools and such he brings on a tour. I saw it in person, it took him over 30 minutes to move the stuff out of his truck into my truck to go to Bristol, and that DOES NOT count the stuff that fills up the front 8 feet of his trailer!

I actually have pictures of all that, but hesitate to post, as I don't want to be too mean to a good friend!

Yeah, how'd you like that beautiful '96 Suburban that Marty was towing his trailer with?

It's identical to the one that sits in my driveway.....oh, wait, it IS the one that sits in my driveway!

On a previous thread, Marty commented about the spares and tools and such he brings on a tour. I saw it in person, it took him over 30 minutes to move the stuff out of his truck into my truck to go to Bristol, and that DOES NOT count the stuff that fills up the front 8 feet of his trailer!

I actually have pictures of all that, but hesitate to post, as I don't want to be too mean to a good friend!

I talked to him at the breakfast and I don't think you could do anything he would consider mean. He was so grateful for all of your kindnesses. I think that Steve M's curved dash Olds "Murphy" put a curse on poor Marty. :rolleyes:

.....novaman, It was nice spending some time with you and your Dad ......

Charlie, sorry I somehow missed seeing you. Moepar and her husband stayed in the camper with Bill and I. I did get to talk to Marty, got to meet Dave Mellnor and his wife, I saw novaman a couple of times and got a hug from his dad Ron :rolleyes:. But don't anyone tell Bill about that last past. :D

trimacar, I saw first hand the spares, tools, etc. Marty had in the truck & trailer.

It took Marty a few minutes to get the trailer's spare tire out.

I suspect after Bristol, Marty will be adding a Breaker Bar and replacing his Torque Wrench. :)

Charlie, sorry I somehow missed seeing you. Moepar and her husband stayed in the camper with Bill and I. I did get to talk to Marty, got to meet Dave Mellnor and his wife, I saw novaman a couple of times and got a hug from his dad Ron :rolleyes:. But don't anyone tell Bill about that last past. :D

ShopRat, Sorry I missed you too. :( Thought I might see you at the Judges Breakfast but with so many people it was hard for me to find some like yourself that I was looking for.

ShopRat, Sorry I missed you too. :( Thought I might see you at the Judges Breakfast but with so many people it was hard for me to find some like yourself that I was looking for.

It also makes it harder to find people at the breakfast when we don't get a list like we do at Hershey. That tells us where to look. I was Team Captain of team 380 about two tables back from the front. Marty was sitting across the table from me on the other team at the same table. We first thought we were on the same team. That would have been very cool to judge with him. Maybe some other time. :)

In case anyone is interested a Photo Gallery has been set up for the recent Bristol, TN meet. I have posted some photos from the Car Show, Cruise-In and the Tour of Bristol Motor Speedway. Feel free to upload your photos from the Bristol Meet as I am sure many AACA members on the forum took some great photos to share with others.

Bristol, TN - AACA PHOTO GALLERY

If the link does not work this new sub-category in the gallery can be found in the AACA PHOTO GALLERY under "AACA Meets and Tours 2011".

I am so very thankful for the support of friends - long-time and recent

TRIMACAR for well over 30 years, and the use of your Suburban in '06 as well as for Bristol, and back in 1982 when Willie Guillot's '46 Mercury went down with a cracked lower pulley I left my Buick with you, used your Ford Van and trailer to get Willie's car 185 miles to home - and then we met half-way to swap vehicles a few days later.

As David said to me a couple of times: Good vehicles are hard to replace -- good friends are even harder to replace.

Shoprat

Charlier

Dave Mellnor

Barry, Lindie, and Lil,

and so many others that I dare not go on for fear of unintentionally missing any.

Yes, I carry a bunch of "stuff" -- you just never know what you might need, or be able to help the next guy with on the road -- and yes, I take a lot of kidding about it, but have heard it all before - it is just me. Never thought of carrying a spare transfer case, but I did have 2 gallons of ATF Mercon/Dexron-3, as well as motor oil, chassis lube, wheel bearing grease, R-134a, Rain-X, and coolant. David wasn't kidding when he commented on what I carry cross-country. I probably would need a trailer even when not transporting an old car.

Haven't had time to pick up a new torque wrench yet, or a longer breaker-bar. Maybe I'm just getting to the age when I should be phoning for road service.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

It also makes it harder to find people at the breakfast when we don't get a list like we do at Hershey. That tells us where to look. I was Team Captain of team 380 about two tables back from the front. Marty was sitting across the table from me on the other team at the same table. We first thought we were on the same team. That would have been very cool to judge with him. Maybe some other time. :)

I was sitting near the front at the breakfast also. Somehow my team assignment got mixed up. I ended up having Breakfast with Hulon McCraw, Joe Gagliano and another gentleman until Hulon found a team that was short a judge. A list would be nice no question but with no-shows and add-ons I would imagine the list of who is at which table may change a lot for some meets.

I am so very thankful for the support of friends - long-time and recent

Making new friends and seeing old ones is one of the best parts about the AACA. Helping someone in need is just something that many AACA people do.

As David said to me a couple of times: Good vehicles are hard to replace -- good friends are even harder to replace.

So Very True....

Yes, I carry a bunch of "stuff" -- you just never know what you might need, or be able to help the next guy with on the road -- and yes, I take a lot of kidding about it, but have heard it all before - it is just me.

Are you sure you do not own any Volkswagens? I thought only VW people carried LOTS of parts and supplies. You may get a lot of kidding about carrying what you do but it is just that, good natured kidding (at least from some of us) ;) I too carry more than I probably need to but that is just me. Then again you should see what my brother takes with him when he and his family go camping in their 1968 VW Camper.

Haven't had time to pick up a new torque wrench yet, or a longer breaker-bar. Maybe I'm just getting to the age when I should be phoning for road service.

Awww come on Marty. Our friends at our favorite tools store are looking forward to seeing you sometime soon.

It is about time for me to "pay" them a visit myself. Call road service if you must but don't forget you might be missing the opportunity to make a new friend or meet another Discussion Forum member.

BTW, how did you make out getting your tow vehicle repaired after Bristol?