Sign in to follow this  
1929model75

Bristol

Sue and I are leaving early Thur. am. Looking forward of driving the Boss 302 on the high banks of Bristol speedway.

Debbie and I are going, she's judging, and I entered 2 cars, my '61 Starliner and my '62 Impala. I've been told there are close to 300 entries. Looking forward to it, should be a super show!!

A word to the wise.....if you drive on the high banks, keep an eye on your oil pressure, a car with a reguar oil pan (no baffles) the oil can get away from the pickup.

Taking the 56 Chrysler................Bob

My wife (Sherry) and I will be arriving on Thursday with our 240Z. If you get a chance stop by and say hello.

Bob

post-57753-143138624975_thumb.jpg

Conflicted. I would like to be there and judge but the Cadillac Lasalle Club Grand National is the same day and we are showing a car that has already won an AACA Senior.

When is the meet?.. I have a house there..didnt know there was an upcoming show

It's this week, from the 11th to the 13th. Car show is on Sat. at the Bristol Motor Speedway. The host hotel is the Bristol Inn and Convention Center. There will also be a downtown car cruise on Fri. night. Hope you can make it.:)

Does anyone know the details on the cruise-in on Friday night? I signed up, but don't know what time it is or exactly where it will be located. I plan to be in town around 4:00 with my '64 Skylark.

post-31696-143138626316_thumb.jpg

We will be leaving in the morning in our 50,000 mile original 1974 Chevrolet Nova Coupe. Entered in HPOF. We always like to go one day early if possible. Get situated and watch the others come in. Keep your wheels between the lines.

Does anyone know the details on the cruise-in on Friday night? I signed up, but don't know what time it is or exactly where it will be located. I plan to be in town around 4:00 with my '64 Skylark.

Here is the information I found on the brochure. The time will be 5 p.m. I will find out what street will be used for the cruise-in display and let you know. Friends of ours are in the host Region.

DOWNTOWN CAR CRUISE-IN with

David L. Browning as Mayberry Deputy

Friday evening ~ 5 PM

Display your vehicle on a closed street during

our Friday Night Cruise-in! Security will be

provided for your cars while on display.

Location for the cruise-in according to my friend Janice in the host Region. Hope this helps.

State Street – ½ of street is VA and ½ of street is TN.

Cars will enter at intersection of Commwonwealth Ave & State St.

Arrived at Bristol late this afternoon.

The following is just an FYI for those that might be interested....

For all those using Route 81 South coming to this meet be advised that you may encounter traffic delays. The are doing road work and blasting around mile markers 126-130. The radio message on 1620 AM around mm 139 warned that the highway would be closed in that area and that they would detour everyone off at Exit 132 to go around the road work. The traffic backed up starting at MM 139. When I got to MM 132 the road was open (No blasting today I guess) although many many vehicles were exiting at exit 132. At MM 126 at the top of a hill (some might say mountain) one lane was closed which caused more congestion and another long backup. Those two backups added an extra hour to my trip.

I was in this area around 1:30 pm on Thursday. No way to tell if this area will be any better or worse on Friday.

I'm in town as of this afternoon

will drop the trailer at the track and get back for Roundtable and Judging School

then Judges Breakfast on Saturday , followed by CJE, get the Buick onto thefield, Judging, and then the Awards Banquet --

over 300 cars registered

We got into the campground this afternoon about 3. Have already been to the host hotel and found out where the breakfast will be and have seen the show field.

Everyone have a safe trip. :)

I was there today... I live here in Bristol. :)

I went to the cruise-in at historic downtown on Friday evening, it was a nice turnout! We usually have a couple of cruise-ins on Friday nights, one up the street there on State St at the NBC TV station parking lot... then another at Autozone on the parkway.... then on Saturday nights there is a nice cruise-in in downtown Elizabethton, about 20 miles from the speedway. I guess some may have went to that after the Saturday show.

Made it to the show on Saturday around 1:30 and stayed until about 3:00.... everyone started leaving rather quickly though around 3:00. Guess it was scheduled to be over at 3:00.

I took some pics, I may post them here soon.

Hope everyone had a good time and enjoyed Bristol TN-VA. The weather cooperated nicely! I have been tired of the mid-upper 90s we had been having and high humidity... these past few days have been nice.

I wish this could be a yearly event here!

update @ 1:39am - about that weather comment, I guess I should update... glad its not going on now, as we are getting a terrible thunderstorm, high winds, torrential rains and terrible lightning!

Edited by Shaffer (see edit history)

Really cool, I got to meet Dave Mellnor and his wife at the show field.

A BIG thanks to him for calling me when whe saw that the Judges Breakfast had been moved up to 7 a.m. from the 8 a.m. time that was in the Meet brochure. Bill and I had done a dry run on Thursday evening to check how long it would take to get to the host hotel from the campground where we were staying. The sign about the change had not been put up yet so we didn't know.

I was able to then call our friend Rodger Woodrum, also a judge, and let him know of the time change as he was driving in on Saturday morning from near Narrows, Va. I was also able to put a post about the change on the Meets and Tours Forum to let others know. Only about thirteen or fourteen folks didn't get the word but it worked out as they did arrive by the orginal start time.

Susan, did someone say you were involved in a cobbler caper????:cool:

Yes that would be true. :D Moepar, Bill, Jeff and I made sure there was no evidence for CSI Bristol to discover. :rolleyes:

Appalachian Region......thank you for hosting a great meet. It's a lot of work that sometimes goes unnoticed but you did a great job and you should be proud.

Thanks,

Is this a Betty Crocker moment??????:confused::P:cool:

Explain how this happened, Susan!

post-31395-143138630629_thumb.jpg

The wonderful cobbler was thanks to Moepar and her husband. They had picked the blueberries and she made the cobbler which was very yummy. They even brought whipped cream to top it with.

Our sheduled guest, fellow judge Rodger Woodrum, had cancelled staying with us the day before we were to leave for Bristol. I knew that Marty Roth had found a place to stay after he found out that Rodger would be staying with us. And I figured that at that late a time he wouldn't be able to get any money back from the reservation that he had.

I knew that Moepar and her husband would be driving down the day of the show in their HPOF car so I called them and invited them to come down and stay with us so that they wouldn't have to make that drive down and back from North Carolina in a day.

We all had a great time. And the cobbler was WONDERFUL.

Next time Wayne you are invited to share some. :)