Need some help with values of some old cars left to me on fathers death

Guest Zipper69

Guest Zipper69

Great points!

The considering offers doesn't sound so good when you put it that way. Thanks for the good honest advice.

Zip

Lenn, sorry about your dad as well.

I am also thinking $30K, perhaps a tad more but should sell quickly at that number if that is your goal, Lenn. Just two quick thoughts - first, if you have not already had a couple PMs from this forum, when you figure out a price why not try the Buy Sell section out first. It is free and the AACA group gets a shot at it. Second, if you do not sell now, I second the Hershey suggestion. You are in PA - Hershey is 2 mos. away, if you can wait until then I would add another $5K to that, and if you do not sell on day one or two, drop to $30K - you will drive your trailer home empty for sure. This car looks pretty solid, and aside from sealed beam headlights, original. You just might get lucky...

There are very few of these around, and one could see fit to restore, or even put the little 4 cylinder in the corner of the shop and put a period flathead 8 in there without any major sin. Car may be worth more that way but my point is the starting point you have allows for both routes. As others have said it would be nice if a restorer got this car, but another trend that is not so bad with these is a few minor, returnable mods - my point being it is very marketable as many people will pay for that originality. The economy may play a role there though, so have a bottom line in the back of your head.

Glad to hear you are keeping a couple of the cars though, sounds like they were a big part of his life I am sure the keepers are pretty special!

Good luck -

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added comments (see edit history)

Everyone has their favorites but I think this would be the car I would keep. Have you considered restoring it yourself, Zip??

Lots of knowledgeable opinions here - as well as variables. If nothing else you know to do your research. Steps I might take would also include reviewing a few issues of Hemmings since you mention advertising there. Look at comparable cars - Ford V-8s 32,33,34 will give you enough of a body to draw some conclusions. Look at pricing but also look at the ads month over month - you will see a few regulars there - which means they are not selling. I would also check out the H.A.M.B. site as well.

Keep us posted.

Guest aerocolor

Not looking at the car in the daylight it`s tough to put a value on it. That said,the present feeding frenzy on `32 coupes is a bit unnerving.

I recently ran across a `32 unrestored 5w in driving condition with a repaint on it. It was supposedly acquired from a museum in Indiana and runs/drives very well. I bought it to hotrod and after owning it for about a week , I`m reconsidering my options as I can`t seem to find many people that have even seen a stocker before. My buddies tell me to leave it alone but I really have no use for it as is.

There was a `32 5w at Louisville in the swap meet asking $52,500. It had the paint worn off with a small block and steelies. It wasn`t there at the end of the day so I don`t know if it sold or for how much but you couldn`t hardly get near it for all the people around it gawking.

Recently a fellow came up with a `32 Model B and put it on Ebay. It went for $49,000 I believe to a guy in Australia.

A repop steel `32 body only from Brookville is $25,000. A roller is $60,000.

Doesn`t come with a title.

So how much is a `32 really worth? Whatever someone will pay for it.

There is a fully restored "Model B" roadster in HMN this month if I remember right at just under $70K. What would it's value be in solid, unrestored form?

Question on the repros though - how does a roller go from a $25K body to $60K? That is a $35K chassis??? Seems high to me, but I am not really an expert on hot rods. That said, I agree the better deal is the real thing, with title or even just BOS as long as it is fairly solid.

As to the comment about future appreciation, tough to say if these will continue to appreciate, just follow all the value discussions out there. Look at what '55 - '57 T-birds are doing, etc. The "duece" will always be an iconic car to me, but some younger car fans do not even know what one is. Also, a very plentiful supply of repro alternatives is bound to have some impact on these cars. The people who love these cars are aging just like those of us who love pre-war cars and Classics. Will there always be a market for good cars, I think so, but there is a flattening out and even some value loss with a lot of very popular cars - even the "Duece". I only mention that because if you are contemplating stuffing it away for future you risk a value loss as much as you could see a value gain. No arguing they are still red hot right now, though.

There seem to be so few stock Dueces out there...it would be a shame to see this one as another belly button hot rod. I'd try to sell it on this board first, since it would at least have a fighting chance of staying in its current form.

Guest aerocolor
There is a fully restored "Model B" roadster in HMN this month if I remember right at just under $70K. What would it's value be in solid, unrestored form?

Question on the repros though - how does a roller go from a $25K body to $60K? That is a $35K chassis??? Seems high to me, but I am not really an expert on hot rods. That said, I agree the better deal is the real thing, with title or even just BOS as long as it is fairly solid.

As to the comment about future appreciation, tough to say if these will continue to appreciate, just follow all the value discussions out there. Look at what '55 - '57 T-birds are doing, etc. The "duece" will always be an iconic car to me, but some younger car fans do not even know what one is. Also, a very plentiful supply of repro alternatives is bound to have some impact on these cars. The people who love these cars are aging just like those of us who love pre-war cars and Classics. Will there always be a market for good cars, I think so, but there is a flattening out and even some value loss with a lot of very popular cars - even the "Duece". I only mention that because if you are contemplating stuffing it away for future you risk a value loss as much as you could see a value gain. No arguing they are still red hot right now, though.

Just to clarify the Brookville roller cost. The basic body,doors,decklid,floor is $25,000. The roller is chassis plus hood,grille,shell etc. Sure adds up.

I agree that it`s a gamble to soak your money in an antique car when they are almost as volatile as other markets when trying to guess what will be hot when the time comes to sell plus factoring in maintenance, storage and insurance.

My collection is what I like to own and drive but with an eye to what might keep its value in the long run. I`m not perfect at it as I do not own one Hemi, Cobra or Shelby but I`m fortunate enough to be fairly diversified in my choices.

Look what Model A`s have done over the last few years in stock form. Pretty sobering. They`re worth more parted out.

Restorer, I think you have mentioned that in the past - me to... ;)

If the repro in steel adds up to $60K for a complete car then this should be a steal. I am still amazed at the number of repro bodies that are delivered to Hershey each year, there must be tens of thousands of repro Dueces out there now...

Our new friend Aerocolor makes some good points. You can buy a very nice Model A coupe for $15K or less. The "B" is virtually the same car in terms of performance, and not all that different looking. So to go double that price and another $15 - 20K to restore it puts you around $50K for a stock restored "B" coupe. I think that is a tough one to recoup your investment on. But the same car in worn paint with a flattie or vintage SBC engine sells likely around $50K. Likely Zip's car goes to someone willing to pay for the originality even if they are going to make some minor changes. These guys know a big part of the value is in the originality - a tough balance. I just think that is where Zip will maximize his sell price.

What I find interesting is that while my 1931 Dodge Brothers 3-window coupe goes up in value (very slowly), almost nothing gains in value or retains it's value like a '32 Ford coupe....3-window or 5-window. I would (almost) bet that by putting my car next to the '32 Ford in question and both for sale, you would get more guys around the Ford and wanting it more than the Dodge. Even though my car has a six and the Model B has a four banger and my car's roof is built lower, the Ford legend and reputation as the "deuce coupe" puts it out front as far as demand. Not to me, of course, but to most.

post-37352-143138626346_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest aerocolor

Just to show all what is still hiding out there.

Found last week in a garage behind the house my friend bought. Definitely not a barn find but that`s ok with me. I took it home...Uhhh, DROVE it home.

post-78032-143138626352_thumb.jpg

post-78032-143138626379_thumb.jpg

post-78032-143138626403_thumb.jpg

post-78032-143138626425_thumb.jpg

Keiser31 I know what you mean by the Ford Alure people seem to have. I think it spans most of the 1930's. I have a 36 Chrysler roadster but I think if you put it next to a 36 Ford Roadster, (a smaller car overall) I'm sure there would be alot more interest in the Ford. Look at any 1939-1940 Mopar and compare it with the same year Fords. The engineering and many appointments are much nicer on the Mopar lineup. Personally if I can't have my Auburn I'll take my Chrysler. Which actually a friend stopped by and helped me fine tune today so it's running great. Now if it stops raining I'll have to take it out for a little spin and see what I gained.:D

Sweet '32 Aerocolor - may inspire Zip to keep his...

Early Mopars can be really attractive - was it the 32 or 33 Dodge (or Plymouth) with suicide doors, a slanted grille and a great stock stance in coupe form?

Anyway, with Fords of this era I think it is all about the body style - roadster, cab, 3 or 5 window coupes are gold. Rest are silver and bronze. Funny how there is not a big value difference between a Model A coupe and sedan, but once you go to '32 it's a different ballgame with variances over 100% based on body style. It seems rodders are still driving the market on these cars which impacts the restored cars as well.

Would be interesting to survey this crowd to see who would leave the car 100% bone stock. Not sure I would and I really am not a rodder...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added comment (see edit history)

I guess one of the hazards of talking prices on this forum is that things get mixed up pretty quickly. Now there are prices floating around about 3 window, 5 window, and roadsters, and repop body roadsters. All very different things, I believe.

So let's throw a sedan in there. There was a very nice, 32 Ford, 4-door sedan in the Sacramento flea market last Sunday. $32,500 asking price. No crowd whatsoever looking at it.

I think the money, in descending amount, is in roadster, 3-window coupe 9rodders like best?), and 5 window coupe.

Good luck with sale.....

Zip, I agree put it in the For Sale section here, start at the $30K that is being batted about and see what happens--you can always come down if you get an offer from a good home and there certainly seems plenty of interest.

Here at the AACA site you will get a more mature audience and (theoretically anyway) limit dreamers and tire kickers. Plus you will also have an audience more tuned to authentic restoration rather than a knee-jerk plan to drop in a 350. Of course that still might happen, but at least here it won't be a given. Or it would defintely sell at Hershey. Good luck, Todd C

Agree we may have some "scope creep" here BUT I think Zip should know that the big driver of the value of the car is in the bodystyle. The 5 window is key, making powerplant almost a negligible factor, Not "pushing" it to be rodded and agree with general sentiment here but realistically that is where the $30K is most likely to come from. I would argue that you cannot ignore the rodder crowd if you seriously want to sell and maximize the dollars, and having an idea of what their altenatives are helps understand the value. Plus, this is more fun than a cigarette break to me anyway... :D

I re-read Ford section in HMN last night and see a '32 five window with a later flattie 8 at $52K, but not enough detail in the description to really draw a conclusion. (Also, the "B" roadster is $78K asking not $68K, but likely a $70k buy price.)

David your comment on the sedan proves my point, you can get a nice Duece under $30K it just won't be a coupe. The problem that sedan seller has is his competition is not a '32 coupe but likely a Model A or other 30s sedan.

1,500 plus hits - maybe Zip doen't need to look further than this post... :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest aerocolor

I realize I`m new to this forum but it seems like you guys have a realistic idea about restoration vs modification as far as car value impact. I would hate to think I would sell my Coupe because I don`t want to change and it would happen anyway. But once someone pays their money it`s their choice on what happens to the car. I`m a hotrodder and I can`t do it but to buy one closer to what I want, it`s almost the same money.

Maybe I`ll put mine in the classifieds eventually when I get bored with it.

I own a couple of `29 roadsters and a `30 coupe that are a lot of fun but of course not stock. I would really miss any one of those cars.

Edited by aerocolor (see edit history)

Guest Zipper69

Just so you all know Im still here. Im soaking up all this info like a big sponge.

I would love to keep the car and restore it as my father intended to do 40 years ago.

Unfortunatley he left us 5 collectable cars and a few uncollectable cars. I have my favorites and the 32 5 window coupe isnt one of them.....I dont know why....I just dont like the car.

Fortunately for me it appears to be the most valuable one left behind.

I want to use part of the proceeds from it to finish one of my Jeep projects and then get the 36 Ford 3 window coupe street rod back on track.

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate the info you've given me.

Zip

My biggest problem right now is the title. I know he had one but I cant seem to put my hands on it.....now what???

Zip

There are various "lost title" services online. Maybe someone here can recommend one.

Zip:

Very, very sorry about your loss! Hopefully retaining a couple of your Dad's cars will be a comfort to you, somewhat. And then you have the memories! Hard to put a value on the 5 Window; but the Four "ADDS" value in my warped opinion! $40,00 would be my asking price. Success with your sale and the restoration of the 1936 and the WILLYS! tom

Zip, call the registry and explain the situation. If he had one, they should have a record of it. Be sure to take care of it now though. There is a lot of value in having the title. It is a pain otherwise....I know. took me 3 months to get mine. When you get ready to deal with the hotrod, switch over to the Fordbarn forum...more hot rodders over there.

In Massachusetts you would apply for a duplicate title (assuming that it was originally titled) and that is a fairly easy process. Each state has different rules. Steve, I can tell you that it would be a show stopper here as it is impossible to title an untitled car in Massachusetts unless you bought it prior to the sales tax in 1967 and than you need to prove it 10 ways.

PA will likely have no way to retrieve their record of a title for that car unless it has been transferred in the last 30 years or so. If it isn't in their computer system they have no way to access it. The executor of the estate will need to apply for a duplicate title. Should be a simple matter. Each state is different. Any title advice from a non PA resident is meaningless in your situation.

I agree with Restorer. I was told that all hard copies were lost in the 1972 hurricane Agnes floods in Harrisburg. In any case, I tried to get a copy of records on my 50 Farm O Road from Harrisburg. I had the license plate number from its last registration in 1958 and the VIN. I took them to DOT in Harrisburg and got laughed out of the building!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If I had it, I'd probably give $30K for it. I read the whole post and I'm not surprised at any of it. That car's worth that much in parts. B or V8, no matter. As far as the "...please don't hot rod..." sentiment, well I'd rod that one in a heartbeat. And why not? There's no other car as iconic to that part of our automotive heritage than the Deuce Coupe, 3 or 5 window. AT that point it's mine anyway and done my way. I can see a bitchin nailhead, dropped axle, white tuck n roll...

Sorry if I some of you realized a spike in mood or blood pressure for the last part of the reply. It's just the way it is. Good luck Zip. I'm guessing it won't last.

Guest Zipper69

I'm sorry I haven't been back to check in sooner. I started a new job building a natural gas pumping station (I'm an IBEW electrician by trade) and going back to running rigid pipe from an extent ion ladder has kicked my ass.

I've had 12 inquiries about the car in 3 days. I'm now sorting thru the BS and talking to people.

I now realize how great it is to discuss cars with another car lover. This car doesn't need to be sold anytime soon so I'm just going with the flow.

I will be taking some better and more detailed pics this weekend and will certainly share them with you all.

I will also post some pics of my 53 CJ3B. I think you will enjoy them.

Zip