Heat Wave

TxBuicks

I know Texas is not the only place experiencing record hot temperatures, so let's vent. To keep this Buick related, I must say my 1991 Roadmaster Wagon has the best A/C of any car I've owned recently. Except I wouldn't want to sit in the back seat under the moon roof!

post-31046-143138622073_thumb.jpg

Yes sir. The AC in my 96 Century Custom carried us though some hot days up here as well. Blows nice and cold. :cool:

While everyone trys to be Cool, Just think, Dandy Dave is Cool in a speedo! :D Dandy Dave!

We aren't quite that bad, but warm for us snowmen...it feels like my spare tire is melting, but I don't seem to be losing weight nor tightening the belt any more holes.

July was the driest on record here with about 4/10"...we still had some days with humidex around 106 (working from memory).

I love the A/C in the truck, but I'm beginning to wonder if it needs a charge. The A/C in the Wildcat isn't blowing particularly cold and the '75 Electra didn't work last summer when Suzanne drove it to Ames.

What we're currently experiencing is historical. Today is the 34th day in a row with temperatures over 100 degrees and no rain. The 10 day forecast shows the same. The record was set in 1980 with 42 days in a row over 100 degrees, so we'll break that. Also, the last three days have set record single day highs and records for the highest low temperatures or 89 degrees at night. So this isn't normal, even for Texas.

A cooled pool is right. News item in yesterday's paper: The water temperature in Lake Texoma, which is a very large recreational lake near here, reached 90 degrees--hotter than I ever remember. They are now concerned about bass and other fish dying due to that kind of water temperature, which also hastens the oxygen depletion. Taking a dip in the water at that temperature isn't even refreshing!

And to relate this to old Buicks, I'm not getting much work done on the various projects in my garage in this weather.

Pete Phillips

In Austin, the latest craze is to have a ice truck cool your pool, They bring 10 tons of ice and dump in your pool for some amount of money.

Cools the pool to swimming temperature for a few days. Just what you need for your kids B-day party or your adult party.

But a fews days later the water is back to the mid 90's.

My Brother in Law has the job I want this time of year, he works on the robots that package Ice Cream for Bluebell. -20 year round, he wears an Artic suit to go to work.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

In Austin, the latest craze is to have a ice truck cool your pool, They bring 10 tons of ice and dump in your pool for some amount of money.

Cools the pool to swimming temperature for a few days. Just what you need for your kids B-day party or your adult party.

But a fews days later the water is back to the mid 90's.

My Brother in Law has the job I want this time of year, he works on the robots that package Ice Cream for Bluebell. -20 year round, he wears an Artic suit to go to work.

An Artic Suit, -20 :eek: You won't catch this Dandy Dave doing any repairs there! :P

Guest sintid58

In my job when its hot you turn up the A/C, when its cold you get out the chains. I much prefer turning up the A/C. However that said over 33 days is a bit much.

• 3 weeks later...

This is from the NPR website, you can find it elsewhere if you're against public radio. ;)

August 24, 2011

At around 2 p.m. in Austin, Texas, an unhappy record was broken: this is the 70th day that temperatures have exceeded 100 degrees. The last time that happened was in 1925.

Hey Mike,

We finally hit 90 degrees last weekend for the first time this year. Before that we had several weeks of 60s - 70s. I really do feel for you guys...

You can come work on some prewar Buicks in my shop without the fans if you want....

I'll keep the beer fridge full...

The 112 Bill mentioned tied an all-time record for hottest temp recorded in Austin.

As has been mentioned at least we aren't shoveling it.

If you had to Shovel it, You would definitly need a Buick Snow Master. I guess I would have to re-name it the, "Heat Master" and add AC of course. :D If I could only send all y'all some of last years snow. Some of the piles up here did not melt until July. :cool: Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

I live up the road a spell from Wichita, Kansas and I am

here to tell you that we had days that were hotter than

Wichita. I remember my Dad saying that the summer of 1936 was a SOB - people slept outside at night because there was no ac back then. The weather guy said the all time high in Kansas was 121 degrees in the summer of 1936. We truly suffered from 'Severe Sunshine' this summer. I'll take the winter any day. You can always put on a sweater if you are cool. If that doesn't do it, put on a light jacket. I'm here to tell you that when you you get down to naked and you are still miserable, you are in deep crap. Been there - don't like it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas