Sign in to follow this  
earl e rizer

'56 Mark II needing resto. WIW?

I agree with Lincolns being a great value in general, but at the risk of being stoned by the more Lincoln knowledgeable (a process in which I may learn something), I think the V12 Continentals are a mixed bag vs the competition. Arguably superior styling (at least up through 41), inferior mechanics.

time to duck

Benefits of AACA Membership.

The Lincoln Continental "Mark I" was an alternative for me but I was concerned about mechanics, and did not want a repowered car. So elegant though...

again, no Continental from the 40's or the 56 & 57 mark II's were ever "Lincolns"

They were Continentals.

They may have been sold at Lincoln dealers but they were NEVER a Lincoln Continental

They DID become Lincoln Continentals in 1958 when they morphed the line with the standard Lincoln body

The 39 Continentals weren't "Continentals" either. They were Zephers. Ford didn't use the "Continental" name until either 40 or 41. The V12 is a little under powered for the cars but the engine and mechanicals are very reliable as long as you don't lug the engine. You do have to down shift to avoid over-stressing the motor. The later V12 's with the overdrive are good 60-70 MPH hiway touring cars as long as you don't push them too hard to get there.

They DID become Lincoln Continentals in 1958 when they morphed the line with the standard Lincoln body

Not quite. For all intents and purposes, Continentals and Lincolns in 1958 were the same car, but at that time they were still marketed just as the Mark II's were. All of the literature for 1958 separately refers to the "Continental Division" / "Continental Mark III" and the "Lincoln Division" to differentiate the trim levels. It wasn't until '59 when they finally blended the two. It's all semantics since they came off the same line, but still an interesting piece of marketing trivia.

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

It has always been my understanding the Continental Division was formed in the 50s to support the Mark II; and earlier models were in fact made by the Lincoln division. I believe badging on these cars say "Lincoln Continentall"? Zephyr was a model - is Continental the same for the '40 - '48 cars? Otherwise, what did the division do from '49 - '55?

That said, you learn something new everyday guys, right - would be interesting to know for sure. It seems like fairly nice examples of these can be had in the $35K or under range in a coupe. CCCA Classic and styling are pluses, and I think, despite the relatively low production, parts are not too bad either, not like an obscure Classic anyway.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

The Division was formed in '53 but wasn't called Continental until '54, I believe. The only places on the car that say Lincoln are the washer spray bottle and the airconditioning package in the trunk.

The first generation Continentals were built by the Lincoln Division.

Ahh - "Ask the Man that Owns One" er, Continental that is.... :D

THANKS Barry!

Back to poster's question - looks like at least one project in HMN this month, I think in the $15K range though.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

It has always been my understanding the Continental Division was formed in the 50s to support the Mark II; and earlier models were in fact made by the Lincoln division. I believe badging on these cars say "Lincoln Continentall"? Zephyr was a model - is Continental the same for the '40 - '48 cars? Otherwise, what did the division do from '49 - '55?

Zephyr was a low priced Lincoln line that used the Lincoln V12 drive train but with their own sheet metal that looked more like a bigger, streamlined Ford than Lincoln. Ford built 3 or 4 "Zephyr specials" in '39 for members of the Ford family using Zephyr platform and fenders & hood that were spliced and extended. In 1940 Lincoln built about 600 or 700 production Continentals based on the 39 design and those were also made up of Zephyr parts. The 40's were sold as "Lincoln Zephyr Continentals" but they had Zephyr badges on the hood and "Zephyr" on the hubcaps. The 41's were the same Zephyr based cars but from 41 -48 they had Lincoln badges and hubcaps and were sold as Lincoln Continental. Post war advertising sometimes referred to them as "Continental by Lincoln"