FS 1950 Super DeLuxe 2dr FS $2000

Guest BJM

1950 PACKARD SUPER DELUXE

1950 PACKARD SUPER DELUXE

2 Door fast back coupe. 327 CI/150HP 23 series. This is one of 365 coupes made in 1950. Motor turns free. Car needs restoring.

$2,000 cash

Call: Glyn Baldwin

210-478-7160

<!-- START CLTAGS -->

Pictures and general condition motor turn over? is the car a complete restoration in progress, or abandon.

This isn't my car. I emailed on it about 6 months ago and was told to call the number in the ad as a relative posted it for Glyn.

It's a fair price but I put the ad info in the post so when the ad drops off craigs list again I can check on it.

Remember, this is on the longer wheel base Custom chassis and is better proportioned.

I would encourage someone to call on it. Looks solid and it's a Texas car, so it probably is.

I think most of the discussion about that Custom Club Sedan over on Packardinfo.com centers around the asking price of $5,500.00 being too high and the suitability of the car as a candidate for restoration. It's true that two of the members stated that they thought the value was "scrap value" and "$500 tops". I would respectfully disagree. As a parts car to be used for the restoration of a better Custom Club Sedan I would put the value higher than scrap. As a car for parting out, the potential value is possibly much higher than scrap... how much higher would depend on the marketing ability and patience of the parts seller, the current/future market and demand for the parts.

Stating the obvious, if there is a buyer somewhere in the world that wants a 22nd series Custom Club Sedan badly enough to pay $5,500.00 for one in that condition, then the car is worth $5,500.00.

As far as the 23rd series Super Deluxe Club Sedan with the 22nd series front bumper in this thread goes, I think $2000.00 is a good asking price. Then, after inspection and depending on the extent of any rust-through and/or critter damage to the interior, a suitable offer could be made.

To some folks $2,000.00 is chump change, to others it represents a lot of money. It's all very subjective.

JD and West,

Timing for me, unfortunately, is everything (as you know from the 46 Custom Super Clipper thread). It's not that I don't have the money for this car but it's now a space consideration as I have literally 4-5 cars coming in.

I think a serious $1500 offer buys this car especially if the potential buyer can prove to the seller he is a Packard nut.

I love the car and I can't say that about all the 22/23 2 door Packards. Once again, it's the longer wheelbase that proportions the car better.

He obviously did not sell it from 6 months ago and may not again this time but I will revisit it in about 2 months and report back unless someone on the forum grabs it.

It would make a nice compliment to my 22nd series Custom 8 sedan but I need another one like I need a hole in my head.

Another quick note. The project car market is the softest I have ever seen it. Unreal what a person can buy for $1000 to $2000. Of course there is a reason for this. Cost of transport, cost of restoration and space are making people think twice.

Ten years ago the trucks and trailers would have been lined up wanting that car for $2500 or more, in my opinion.

I'd rather have the 23rd series Super Deluxe coupe over that incomplete Custom 8 coupe any day. Texas car for starters, 327 motor and all the cache of the Custom 8, even if Packard's reasoning was kind of lame, 1950 was a completely different marketplace then 46-48.

The seller of the Custom 8 coupe is just a dollar signs er er guy. He knows what he has, nobody will buy it for $5500 and so his ancestors will sell it years from now for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. Here's a link to a same-body-style Custom Deluxe, which is a more desirable car, and the folks on the PackardInfo site are thinking the value is only $500.

Packard Motor Car Information - Opinions please [Packard Forums - Post-War (1946-54)]

Check this one out, in my neighborhood --

1948 PACKARD CUSTOM 8

Now, from the brief description and looks of things, this is a bargain. Looks solid and complete, rare and desirable (if you like 22/23 series Custom 8's) and fairly priced. $1200.00.

$800 less then the Texas Super Deluxe 8. Patience pays off, there are still a lot of cars out there.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)