Sign in to follow this  
Bee-Oh-Pee

Trunk cardboard

Glenn and my other 64 conv't friends: Did the '64 conv't have any kind of trunk cardboards or dividers from the factory? Wondering about the set listed in the Fusick catalog:

TCK634CV Trunk Cardboard Set (black) 1963-64 Starfire Convertible

153.00 4 pc.

Does anybody have a picture of their '64 Conv't trunk that has these? I have no cardboard of any kind, and was wondering if they might have been tossed at some point (along with my jack and spare!).

Thanks in advance.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Glenn and my other 64 conv't friends: Did the '64 conv't have any kind of trunk cardboards or dividers from the factory? Wondering about the set listed in the Fusick catalog:

TCK634CV Trunk Cardboard Set (black) 1963-64 Starfire Convertible

153.00 4 pc.

Does anybody have a picture of their '64 Conv't trunk that has these? I have no cardboard of any kind, and was wondering if they might have been tossed at some point (along with my jack and spare!).

Thanks in advance.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Yes '64 Starfires all had cardboards, that's why Fusick sells them but make sure you get the right color. There is also special clips used to hold the cardboards in place, but I don't know if Fusick has them:confused:

I haven't looked at the Fusick catalog in some time, but seems I remember the 63-4 set is available only in black.

Original pieces were black, blue or red depending on car color. As an example my Bermuda Blue 64 has blue liner, the Fern Mist one has black. There may have been tan for Saddle Mist or Tahitian Yellow, but I have never seen one. On white cars I think it matched the interior color so yours would have been blue. However, in modern times, any old port in a storm.

John, pretty sure your cardboards and mats got tossed along the way as the car is supposed to have them. If the trunk leaked any, they're likely to have been water damaged.

I need to learn how to take digital pics and upload them.

Thanks, folks. Yeah, somebody stripped the trunk; and mine would be blue, as well. The rest of the trunk is untouched... very odd. Has all original carpeting; never leaked. Maybe somebody reading will snap a pic and post....

So it came standard with a mat as well? Since the spare for the convertible is on the trunk floor, I'm guessing that would be different from the coupe and H/T as well.

You're right, though.... the repro's from Fusick only come in black. I could probably dye them.... but would start out with a coat or two of white.

Thanks again.

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee
typo (see edit history)

Glenn,

"Any old port in a storm." I love that idiom, and it's new to me. Thank you.

Also, Thanks to BOP for fixing the typo. We are, yet, men...

Doug

Anybody learn how to post pictures yet? (Hint, hint!)

Got the PCV system all in order, and got the intake red, as it should be. Also got the back-up lites and license lite working as they should.

I just need my jack handle, spare tire, and trunk cardboards to complete the picture... I just hate paying thru the nose for the cardboards and still have to dye them -- but I guess it's the only "port" available during this storm....

It would be fabulous to see a pic of your trunk, Glenn, since it's blue like mine. And I'd like to see what those clips look like.

BTW, wound up finding an original pcv tube in a junk yard in Mancelona, MI, that's been there for 40 or 50 (or more?) years.... they have some real gems... and some with oak trees growing out of them. Only problem is being in N. Mich., it's not a good place for wheels, since they're all rusty.

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee
Add pix (see edit history)

Or..you could have someone provide you with patterns of their's and then get your own cardboard (most likely from an upholstery shop - get waterproof material). Cut your parts according to the pattern, and then go to the local big box store, look for the color of rustoleum that matches (or pretty close) to the color blue you need and paint those puppies! The cardboard will soak up alot of paint, but 3-4 coats will do, then cover it with either a matt or semi-gloss clear. It will look really good and not cost the fortune that it will buying cardboard from some other dealer.

As a start, you could take a piece of scrap board after the cutting and test out the paint colors and clears to get the closest match.

Just a home restorer's approach on a pinched penny! Hope this helps

ps. You might find the clips at www.restorationspecialties.com

Sounds like an option if I did indeed have access to the patterns, Jim. But also, it's kind of like inventing the wheel. To put it bluntly, I ride on as many backs as I can since I work full time, and I also try to reward those who take the plunge and actually reproduce these extinct parts -- it's just too bad they don't offer my proper color.

Right now, I'd be thrilled to just get a picture of somebody's convertible trunk that showed exactly how all this stuff was supposed to look from the factory.

Thanks for the input!

I know a fella who had trunk cardboard made for a '62. Fusick's only offers it in red and blue. He needed gray. He contacted REM directly. They can make it. They have the patterns and they have the colors. Fusick doesn't offer all the colors because the demand isn't there. Somehow, Fusick had to be involved. REM wouldn't make them without Fusick's approval because apparently they own the rights to the patterns, or something. It can be done. He didn't tell me what it cost...

Paul

Hm. Seems to me that if Foosick is involved with these anyway, they could have REM make them up in any color needed on a special order basis. Good info to know anyway.

John, the cardboards are different between coupe and convertible in the shelf area.

Thanks, folks. I know they're different, Glenn. That makes just about everything in the trunk of the convertible as compared to the coupe or sedan. (That's just one more reason I wish I had a reference I could use to see exactly how they're supposed to be.)

I'm going to call those Fusick guys and see if they're really worthy to have a department called "customer service."

I have never had anything but the best customer service from Mike, Dave, Jason, or any of the good people at Fusick's--even to the point of referring me to other places if they did not have a part, or even parts that they were able to get that were not in their catalog. They should help you out immensely!!

Does anyone ever hear from Don O'Connor any more or is he still alive? If anyone knows how a 64 ragtop trunk is supposed to be, he will. I think he had eight 64 Starfires at one time...

Don O'Connor is alive and well and living in Youngstown, Ohio! AND, he will be taking his old 160K+-mile Dodge van to Hershey this coming week along with Rich Hilko and Tony Valdez! Talked to Rich a couple hours ago, they'll be across from Fusick's, and will be there Thursday through Saturday. Don is THE '64 Oldsmobile guru, for sure (though you're right up there, Glenn!)

Give them all my best. Great guys, all.

Reckon you could pick Don's brain about the convertible cardboards? Maybe get some pictures?

Hey folks... FYI... Spoke to Kevin at Fusick this afternoon regarding trunk cardboards in a nonblack color; he called REM and learned they could get the cardboards for my car in blue.

So for all you guys that would have otherwise settled for black, there is hope! Thanks to all on the board, as usual, for your help.

Best,

John

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee (see edit history)

chequenman or anyone else familar with this,

I'm looking for a good picture of one of those trunk cardboard clips. You are right about Fusick not selling them, and I wasn't able to get any info from them on the clips at all.

Can anyone post or e-mail me a clip pic? It would be great if I knew how they were installed and how many of them the cardboard installation requires, too....

John

Yes '64 Starfires all had cardboards, that's why Fusick sells them but make sure you get the right color. There is also special clips used to hold the cardboards in place, but I don't know if Fusick has them:confused:

1957buickjim,

Yeah, I have.... they most likely do have something that would be either exact or close enough to pass... but few of them have the exact application listed. That's why I'm looking for a picture, so I can at least have a clue about what I'm looking for. Right now, I have neither clip nor clue....

BTW, I dealt with those guys a lot when I had my Buick and they really are are an invaluable source for hard-to-find hardware.

Thanks for the input!

John

Things move slowly in Louisiana, but they do move! I wanted to give everybody an update on the trunk and the cardboards. I hereby declare with 99% certainty that my car never had any cardboards from the factory. Don't know if it was a fluke, or the particular assembly plant; or time of the model year, or what….but there's no way that panels like the ones I've been playing with for the last couple months were ever installed in this car.

There are MANY reasons I say this; and I did have my doubts from the outset that they were ever installed; but everybody seemed so certain when I broached the subject, I more or less took it as gospel. Here are my reasons:

The #1 reason is that the trunk – aside from missing the spare and jack – is incredibly original and pristine. It obviously has all its original blue carpeting, and (prior to my pulling up around the edges trying to figure out how the hell to install the miserable cardboards) had all the original bonding intact. Further, there is absolutely no trace of where the cardboard edges would have contacted (especially for any period of time) any area on the face of the carpet.

The cardboards, on cars with them, had inward flaps that attached to two little tangs on each side of the trunk. After I pried up the carpet that should have been on TOP of the cardboard, I found the tangs, which were absolutely flat and seemed to blend in perfectly with the surrounding surface, almost as if they were camouflaged. “Fresh as a daisy.”

Further, the carpet was bonded all the way down the outward-facing areas of the trunk-side wells (not the inside of the fender sheetmetal). The many pictures I’ve studied over the last half year (from helpful folks who’ve shared their trunk compartments with me) show the carpet bonded to the cardboard flaps. That just wasn’t the case in mine.

Also, the elusive “clips” that attach the small cardboard panels near the hinges have sharp points that dig into the paint on the sheetmetal near the hinges. There’s no trace of a clip ever having contacted any of the metal in that area. And I can tell by some of the negligent things that were (and were not) done to my car through the years that nobody touched-up anything up back there. It’s all original, and was obviously not painted at the time the car was. The trunk (and the carpeting back there), as I said, is 100% original – except for the tossed spare and jack.

Since there were only a couple thousand of these cars made, I guess nobody can document one way of the other whether any or how many were built without “cardboards”; but I’d love to know if there’s anybody out there with a ’64 Linden SF conv’t who could corroborate my observations.

Cheers.

The trunk (and the carpeting back there), as I said, is 100% original – except for the tossed spare and jack.

Cheers.

Just curious, but does your Trunk Floor Well have the loop and the threaded "J" hook that secures the spare to the Trunk Well still in place as you have mentioned several times the car came without a Spare or Jack?

chequenman,

Yes, it still had the loop and threaded hook. Funny you should ask, b/c I ordered the shiny threaded retainer for the spare tire board from Fusick (one of which may or may not have been part of my original equipment), and it does not fit the rod. The threads on the retainer are too small.

I believe the retainer was reproduced for the A body cars, perhaps? I might pass a tap through it and get it to fit.

And in looking at the Fusick catalog, the repro spare hold-down rod they sell for my car doesn't even have the "hook" at the end; it seems to attach to some sort of boss on the well floor with a cotter pin. (Glad I didn't order that.) And just as another example, the battery hold-down I bought from them wasn't an exact match, either... but I was able to get it to fit. I think they take things that are fairly close and then sell them under a different application.

Take care.

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee (see edit history)

chequenman,

Yes, it still had the loop and threaded hook. Funny you should ask, b/c I ordered the shiny threaded retainer for the spare tire board from Fusick (one of which may or may not have been part of my original equipment), and it does not fit the rod. The threads on the retainer are too small.

I believe the retainer was reproduced for the A body cars, perhaps? I might pass a tap through it and get it to fit.

And in looking at the Fusick catalog, the repro spare hold-down rod they sell for my car doesn't even have the "hook" at the end; it seems to attach to some sort of boss on the well floor with a cotter pin. (Glad I didn't order that.) And just as another example, the battery hold-down I bought from them wasn't an exact match, either... but I was able to get it to fit. I think they take things that are fairly close and then sell them under a different application.

Take care.

What you have been saying is very informative and it gives insight to others in the future, as I myself have not come across your problems yet as I'm still try to assemble a '62 Starfire Conv. that was a basket case when purchased.:)