31 Brakes

Guest Crotra

Guest Crotra

Hello, I am attempting to re-line the brakes on my 31 Coupe. Having trouble removing the left rear drum, the other 3 came off easily. Can anybody advise on removing this drum?

Also, anybody have instructions for adjusting these brakes after the shoes are re-lined?

Thank You,

Crotra

You do not say, but since you are having trouble pulling the hub I assume you have artillery wheels. Several choices: A. Use a proper wheel puller. Tighten it up and then HIT the center of the puller with a ten pound hammer. B. Jack up th wheel on the opposite side, leave the wheel you want to remove on the ground. Back off the axle nut flush with the end of the axle and HIT it with a ten pound hammer. C. Or use a proper puller that replaces the nut and once again HIT it with a ten pound hammer.

The biggest problem is that people are affraid to hit the end of the axle. They just tap it and this does nothing but burr the nut or the end of the impact puller.

The Pontiac Oakland Shop Manual has a quite clear section on adjusting Midland steeldraulic brakes.

Midland Steeldraulic also has a good manual (some of the instructions are different).

Raybestos also have an excellent manual on these brakes ( with some instruction different from the other two).