1939 Pontiac 249ci Straight-8 - Need a Starter

Jbann

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1939 Pontiac straight-8 motor that is mostly complete but is missing a starter. I have been having difficulties locating one. Would anyone know of a good source? Or even better, an idea if any other starters worked from other engines (cross-referencing)?

Also, which sites or dealers do you recommend for engine parts? I need distributor internals (points, rotor, and condenser) as well as a head gasket. Oddly enough, I am missing one head-bolt. Any ideas where to source another?

Thank you and best regards,

Jan

IMG_1068.jpg

here is the starter part # for 39 Pontiac , 8 Cyl. 1107914

Dan.:)

Thanks, hopefully that will help! By chance, does anyone have a parts interchange guide for a starter? Perhaps some other GM starters (considering they were all Delco-Remy) would fit?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest goose-em

I had a heck of time finding head bolts for my L6. Went with cap head bolts instead and they are working fine.

Check Fastenal.

Believe it or not, I ended up finding head bolts at Lowes. Just made sure they were Grade 8 and off I went! I think it was $1.35 or so? Couldn't beat that. I bought a couple for the heck of it.

Otherwise, I did find a starter! But the armature was bad so it took me a little while, but I ended up finding a nice NOS armature on eBay for half the price a dealer/distributor offered me.

Guest goose-em

Did you try CPR, California Pontiac Restoration? I had a starter I thought was bad so I called them and they had a really nice one for around $115. By the time it got to me, about 4 days, I had figured out what was wrong with the old one, no ground to motor, duh!!!!!

Is that motor going to be stock? If you plan to increase the compression you will need to increase the torque on the head bolts. Mine are at 75 ft lbs.

Guest goose-em

A word of advice. On the vent tube that hangs from the valve cover. Get a piece of window screen and a clamp and clamp it over the end.

Why you ask, to keep the creepy crawlies out. Mice love to climb up in those valve banks and raise all kinds of problems.

A word of advice. On the vent tube that hangs from the valve cover. Get a piece of window screen and a clamp and clamp it over the end.

Why you ask, to keep the creepy crawlies out. Mice love to climb up in those valve banks and raise all kinds of problems.

Actually, that is what I have already done. I can't believe the size of that vent though! Jeez, it is as thick as the exhaust pipe.

Otherwise, thanks for the advice on the starter too. The engine will remain stock for now. We shall see what the future brings!

Be carefull with bolt sold in store, you must have the small «step» under the bolt head to seal with the engine head. You may experience coolant leak. Look at this picture you will see on the new bolt I made for my L6 239 1953.

Fitz.

post-64934-143138650979_thumb.jpg