Brakes...

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

While I am trying to sort out my problems (and thanx to everyone for their help) it occurs to me the ideal solution has already been found in some of the conversions using more standard parts from newer cars that I have read about right here at this forum.

Admitedly I do not follow who posts what and when, but this seems to be a problem that will be with us for a long time. I really dont want to start a debate on the original designs' pros and cons, so lets avoid those responses if possible.

What I would like to propose is...

If those that have done the conversions to a non Teves style brake that also incorporates a one pump emergency brake could possibly...

First, make a list of all the actual parts and what cars they come from and...

Secondly, if we could figure out these specific part numbers and if they are available then

Third create a shopping list of these parts.

Forth... sticky the list on the forum.

Perhaps a future owner, could use this to solve problems that may come up in the future if and when specific Teves parts become unavailable or too expensive to rebuild.

I know this isnt an easy thing to do, but it would make things easier perhaps in the long run to keep our beloved Reattas running and stopping in the long run. If I had such a list, the time and money as well, I would, simply order the parts at a auto parts store and begin the process.

I know, I know... this will change perhaps the collectability of a specific car, but there are many of us, whose car will never see judging at a show and we just want a safe car like myself that dont care if we loose points for a non original brake system. Personally, I would rather drive my car to a show and loose points then crash into something on the way!

Again, Id like to begin the process of helping people do this, not start a debate on how good or bad the braking system is.

Just an idea and just trying to help:)

Well the Riviera of the same year also had conventional power brakes. The only diificulty is handling that the Teves uses a single rear brake line and the Riv has two. Think I saw one such that just capped one rear outlet. No idea if it worked.

The vac outlet for the PB is just capped on the Reatta.

post-31022-143138612815_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Angelo's question is a legitimate one. The bodies in rust belt cars hold up quite well but the brake lines in the back of the car suffer from some serious corrosion. Might not be a bad idea to evaluate the condition of those brake lines and replace them while you are at it.

After reading Angelo's posts on his repetitive and intermittent brake problem I suspect that his wire harness has a little corrosion in a not so convenient location. Difficult to troubleshoot a complex system that is intermittent.

Guest Double M

Thanx! I just want to see if we can continue with what we do to keep our cars on the road in to the future. Problems that we are not aware of are going to pop up and hopefully we can pop up with solutions!

The posting police must have thought my suggested (humor) of putting Reatta emblems on a Riviera to solve the brake problems was somehow inappropriate suggestion.

Obviously I am not a good judge of of content, otherwise there are many other post that would have been deleted.

Guest steveskyhawk

In time I think more and more Reatta owners will be converting our cars to a vacuum assist system as Angelo suggests. The loss of the anti lock function would not bother me one bit. I have never been fond of ABS. Years ago when ABS was in its infancy I worked for a company that bought semi trailers that had ABS. The drivers complained so much that the company took the ABS hardware off.

The posting police must have thought my suggested (humor) of putting Reatta emblems on a Riviera to solve the brake problems was somehow inappropriate suggestion.

Obviously I am not a good judge of of content, otherwise there are many other post that would have been deleted.

Well, I thought it was funny.... :rolleyes:

Guest Double M
In time I think more and more Reatta owners will be converting our cars to a vacuum assist system as Angelo suggests. The loss of the anti lock function would not bother me one bit. I have never been fond of ABS. Years ago when ABS was in its infancy I worked for a company that bought semi trailers that had ABS. The drivers complained so much that the company took the ABS hardware off.

Exactly. I am not a fan of ABS either, but it has saved my butt once or twice (in cars that it worked, that is)... Our Reatta also have a systems from ABS's infancy and as parts and suppliers dry up or go away, so may our ability to keep these cars on the road. A good case in point was those posts of a few months ago about a manufacturer that makes a new but similiar accumulator. Someday that may be our only option.

Between us forum members and clubs getting parts may be easier, but to the average joe trying to get his car fixed at a shop, that isnt exactly a solutions. Not every mechanic has this guy on that forums info to fix that part or another.

Modifications, retro fitting and more are things we should be getting prepared for and I think since we have a passionate group of Reatta lovers here, that this is the perfect place to start creating these resources to help future owners as well as present ones.

:)

I'm a believer in ABS, has saved my a$$ many times over over the years. I don't avoid cars without it or anything, but given the choice I'd rather have it than not.

That said, I'm certain that a later model vacuum-operated ABS system could be retrofitted, just a matter of time now 'till one of the more advanced forum users here does it...

If my Teves system gets to the point where it is too costly to repair, or I can't fix it, I intend to use this non-ABS unit to replace it. It appears to have all the parts needed in one package. It's available at Advance auto parts. Even using this package some modifications to the push rod or to the brake pedal may be needed. Anyone know?

Cardone Reman/Brake Power Booster

For your 1989 Buick Riviera 3.8L FI OHV 6cyl

Price:

$149.99

Core*Core value is the used part that manufacturers use for rebuilding. AutoZone charges the core value to customers because manufacturers include it in their prices. When you return your core to AutoZone, we'll refund your core charge.:

$7.00

Total:

$156.99

Enlarge Image

Part Number: 50-1055

Alternate Part Number: 62-1366

AVAILABILITY:

STORE PICK UP

SPECIAL ORDER

Visit your local store to special order.

SHIP TO HOME

SPECIAL ORDER

Ships within 3-5 business days.

Add To Cart

Features & Benefits

Cast iron units premium phosphate coated. Extends on-car and on-shelf life.

Part Number: 50-1055

Weight: 15.3 lbs

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Application: Without anti-lock brakes

Notes: With master cylinder

Pedal Rod ID: E10

Diaphragm Type: Dual

OEM: Delco

Diaphragm Diameter: 10 3/4 in.

Bracket: Not included

Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Here's posts from folks who did a conversion awhile back.

Doesn't seem all the parts needed got documented.anywhere though.

Neither one was a direct swap.

Follow on attempt using a 91 Riviera unit:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/1989-buickl-reatta-doing-away-abs-249112.html

First attempt using a 89 Riviera unit:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/teves-conversion-debacle-241779.html

Guest Double M

Thanx for those links. They reasured me that replacing the Teves system can be done, has been done, but just not well documented. It also was reassureing to find others that believe the system is a problem that must be dealt with sooner or later. I seem to be on the leading edge of this subject at the moment, but hopefully my mechanic figures out that my particular brake problems can be solved with one of the solutions proposed in my other thread.