Dave Marcis makes it into the Daytona 500

ex98thdrill

For those who follow racing, Dave Marcis, made the starting field for Sunday's Daytona 500. Marcis, 61, will make his 33rd and final start at Sunday's race. In the days of multi-million dollar sponsorships, multi car teams, Dave is, and has been, operating his team on a shoe string budget. Congratulations to a driver who is truly "the last of the true independent drivers." It just goes to show that at age, and operating a team that is under-finanany ced, anyone can achieve anything if they put their heart and mind to it.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE TYPOS IN MY ORIGINAL POST<P>For those who follow racing, Dave Marcis, made the starting field for Sunday's Daytona 500. Marcis, 61, will make his 33rd and final start at Sunday's race. In the days of multi-million dollar sponsorships, multi car teams, Dave is, and has been, operating his team on a shoe string budget. Congratulations to a driver who is truly "the last of the true independent drivers." It just goes to show that at any age, and operating a team that is under-financed, anyone can achieve anything if they put their heart and mind to it.

I have watched Dave race since he started up here at State Park Speedway in Wisconsin when the track was dirt. He has always been a hard worker and a tough competator as well as a damn good driver. I wish him the very best. The sport will miss him and his kind and be the poorer for it. Now, if Nascar could only have 2 races on dirt.

Yeah I've got to admit, there will be a large void in those "wingtips." I know I'm going to miss him. He seems like one of the few people who is still the same guy as he was 30+ years ago when he first strapped himself into the car. He may have never been rich, he didn't win many races, but he was and probably always will be "common folk" chasing his dreams and doing what he liked to do.