Alarm and remote start recommendations

Guest Brigop

Guest Brigop

I am looking at installing or getting installed an alarm with Remote start. Has anyone done this and are there any major watch outs. I realize that the pass Key might be an issue. The OEM Fobs just do not have the reach/distance for activation and the remote start in the winter would be nice.:D

Additional:

As I came from Naval Aviation I can pretty much wire anything in and keep it as clean and neat as can be, I went back and read the other threads, from way back and still am curious about any big watch outs or distasters.

Edited by Brigop
additional comment (see edit history)

I've not done one [have contemplated it] but pass-key is the major stumbling block. Most remote start setups have optional bypass modules available (or could just bypass the PASS-KEY system with a resistor of the correct value). The other concern is the stock security system, and how to connect an aftermarket system in without causing problems there as well.

There have been threads here in the past where someone had problems with the security system due to a previous owner's aftermarket install. If wiring is hacked up, or not restored to stock when an aftermarket system is removed, all manner of problems can occur, including no-start and false triggers/nuisance alarms.

KDirk

Guest Brigop

As far as I can tell my car has not been altered to much in that manner. I would love to keep it as clean as possible. Was there ever a remote start option on the Reatta's? Can the remote communications be improved? I know that from the sides it is very tempermental. I have yet to have a chance to look under the dash to check on some wiring cominf from the drivers side fuse panel. But based on my initial looking it is still pretty much un modded.

Fuse panel doors--- Mine are nearly impossible to lock in and are pretty much just resting in the door was so to speak. Is there a secret to snapping them into place?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Antenna for the keyless entry receiver is in the rear window so it works best from the front or rear. Think the compatible later year Cadillac fob has a stronger signal but still not up to a modern fob's range.

How strong is the battery in your fob?

Fuse panel doors--- Mine are nearly impossible to lock in and are pretty much just resting in the door was so to speak. Is there a secret to snapping them into place?

I haven't been able to play with mine much, but I have the same issue.

You obviously have a '90.. they're very hard to get pushed in correctly.. I eventually had a little luck, but I don't remember what I did.. :o Just keep trying, perhaps get a little persuader to help you out.

Thriller, Your car won't have these problems. The '88/'89 fuse panel door is much better designed, and actually goes in like it's supposed to.