timing 1931 ford

Guest cyrus

Guest cyrus

I just can't seam to get this car running right? I have a 1931 ford mod A. New carb. mew plugs new wires new points new cap new condenser. I found top dean center put the rotor on #1 turned cam counter clockwise gaped point @ .022 then turned cam back to #1 till closed and tightened. adjusted fuel idle screw and gas screw 1-1/2 turn. i don't seam to have exhausts leaks.

I still back fires some when i reve the gas and just dont have the power it should. I was ok till i replaced the original card (zenith) with a new rebuilt carb with an external gas bowl in the gas line. I have no fuel leaks.

I don't know im getting frustrated.

please help Jim Brennan

cyrus,

I would try switching back to a known good carburetor. Just because you have a rebuilt carburetor does not mean that everything is OK with it. Other possibilities to check would be plugged gas cap vent, crud in fuel, old fuel, crud in fuel line, fuel line sticking too far into carburetor inlet causing obstruction, and so on and so forth.

Where are you located? Perhaps there is an experienced Model A guy near you who could take a look at it for you.

Do you have Les Andrews Model A Mechanic's manual? I would try the trouble shooting flow charts in it until you find the problem.

Guest cyrus

I am in Griswold Ct. My old carb (zenith) has a damaged upper body if i could find one i would fix it and replace it right away. I don't like this one.

thanks

Here is a list of AACA Chapters in your state. If one of these is near you, they will probably have someone who could help you.

CONNECTICUT

Annex Classic Cruisers/Southern Connecticut Region

President - Mark A Rogers II

15 Damien Rd

Branford CT 06405

Central Connecticut Region

President - Nick Nesci

104 Brooke Meadow Rd

Berlin CT 06037

Connecticut Valley Region

President - Robert Watkins

76 Honey Pot Rd

Southwick MA 01077

Fairfield County Connecticut Region

President - David Reed

17 Middle Brook Pond Rd

Redding CT 06896-0653

Housatonic Valley Region

President - Robert Brown

253 Whisconier Rd

Brookfield CT 06804

Westerly-Pawcatuck Region

President - Peter Steelman

142 Whitehall Ave

Mystic CT 06355

Here is a list of a few local MAFCA Chapters in your state. Perhaps one of these may have a member close by who can help you.

MAFCA - Connecticut Chapters