Sign in to follow this  
Dave Mellor NJ

1936 assesmbly line

Funny, I didn't see anyone painting nuts and bolts with a squirrel hair brush after assembly.

Great video. I didn't see OSEA anywheres. Looks like you had to pay atention to what you were doing and actually do your job, knowing that the machine would keep you in line or kill you if you didn't.

Makes you see why the USA was once a great industrial nation!!!!

Wish we could say that again.

I was supprised to see all the machinery in the plants,I dont know what I was thinking but thought much more was done by hand back then.

Wow, that was a great video! (The music is 'haunting' tho.........)

Are those Chryslers?

Chevrolet. You can kill the rotten music by the sound control at the lower right of the screen.

This would be a good video to illustrate why sedans and coupes had fabric inserts in the tops until the mid 30s. Note the size of the sheets of metal going into the stamping press around the 6 minute mark. Such wide sheets were not available before 1934. The Chevrolets shown are the Turret Top model, first to have a solid steel roof.

Most all of these type videos (a lot of them have been posted here) are from Chevy. I was thinking the same thing as Rusty about the roofs, especially since the whole back and quarter panels to the beltline was incorporated.

Somewhere I have seen pics of the Hudson assembly line circa 1948. The dashboard was stamped from a big sheet of steel pre printed with the woodgrain. I always wondered how they painted the wood grain, it seems they painted flat sheets of steel then stamped them to shape without damaging the paint.