I need a brake booster. Best source.

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Well, I've determined that my brake booster is bad, due to some investigation, and work today.

What is best source for a brake booster for a 65 Riv 401? This is not a show car, just a driver, so I'd like to get a cost effective unit, but one that works properly. I've done some searches, and it seems there are different types, so I'm a bit confused as to what to get.

Rock Auto has an A1 Cardone unit on their site, that is priced reasonable, and so does Autozone. I think it's also the same A1 Cardone rebuilt unit. Napa has one too, and it looks just like the Rock and Autozone one.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest Rob J

That's the last thing I need to check. Tomorrow, I will unbolt the MC, to check for the O-ring. But, with engine running, and I pinch the booster line, the engine revs lower, release, and it rev's higher.

Check what Jims says before laying out $$$ for a new booster. If you do need one, you first have to determine which of the two available systems your car has. They came from the factory with either a Delco-Morraine or a Bendix system. Parts ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!! If you have a Delco m/c, you need to get a Delco booster. If you have a Bendix m/c, you need to get a Bendix booster. If you do find out that the booster is bad, you might first consider having Booster Dewey rebuild the one you have.

Ed

Guest Rob J

Wasn't tired, so I decided to pull the booster out tonight. The MC did have the o-ring installed. (it's flat, not round, correct?) however, as I looked under the dash, I saw the booster pushrod improperly installed on the brake pedal pin. It was not fully engaged onto the pin. Looks like the hole in the rod was not large enough, so someone just stuck it partially on the pin, and at an angle. (Also missing the cotter pin) NICE!!! The pushrod eye hole on the booster was chewed up a bit, so it appears someone was trying to force it on the brake pedal pin, but gave up. So, I removed the booster entirely, and low and behold, I found that the plastic shaft on the rear side of the booster, under the rubber boot was broken (looks like it was due to the angle of the pushrod). There were also some loose pieces, ect. So, A new booster is in order.

The booster I have (which according to the PO was changed a while back), looks just like the A1 Cardone replacement I found online at Rockauto, Autozone, and NAPA. I have the Delco Morraine style MC.

I'm not sure if it's worth having this one rebuilt, as it's not the original one, but I'll look into the cost of having Booster Dewey rebuild it.

From what you're describing, it looks like you might have a mish mash of parts. You might consider purchasing a know system ( m/c and booster) from a parts car and having both rebuilt. That way you'd know you have the correct parts and they're good to go.

Ed

Guest Rob J
you can also buy the matched set from a parts place, as a unit, booster + MC.

Now would be a good time to switch your brakes to dual master cylinder. go with the '67 Riv drum-drum setup.

I'm actually thinking of going this route Jim, especially since I really want to drive and enjoy this car. What all is involved in this switch over? Is it simply just swapping parts, or is there anything else involved?

Rob,

I did exactly what Jim suggested with the '67 drum to drum setup and have had excellent results. I believe there is a write up on the conversion on the ROA member site. I disconnected the rear brake line from the junction box and extended it to the rear port on the master cylinder. I plugged the rear port on the junction block and ran a new line from the front of the master cylinder down to the junction block.

With regard to the O-Ring, when I couldn't find this part at any of the local parts stores, I called Booster Dewey to discuss my setup with him. I provided him details on my setup and he insisted that while I could install a new O-Ring, none was required. I did not install one and I have loads of power assist. I have seen a lot of conversation about the O-Ring on the forum and am curious if this was specific to just certain years.

Ron

Guest Rob J

Thanks Ron, will probably go this route. There is a fairly inexpensive booster MC combo on Rockauto for a 67 Riv drum/drum. I think I'll pick this set up.

Where did you purchase your 67 booster/MC?

Guest Rob J
I picked mine up from Advance Auto. They were the least expensive and I could get them the next day. The parts were manufactured by A1 Cardone.

I don't know what's going on, but nobody seems to be able to get these units any longer. The parts show up on Autozone, and Advance auto's website, but when I call the store to order, or try to order on-line, they all say they can't get the parts. Called Cardone, but it is impossible to get a live human being on the line. Left a message with Customer service.

I don't know what's going on, but nobody seems to be able to get these units any longer. The parts show up on Autozone, and Advance auto's website, but when I call the store to order, or try to order on-line, they all say they can't get the parts. Called Cardone, but it is impossible to get a live human being on the line. Left a message with Customer service.

Same issue I had when I wanted one for my 63. Two places on line took my credit card number, only to come back and say they had none and no prospects of getting any more. I was in Vegas at the time and found a good parts gal (yes, and she was good) at Advance that found a new one in one of their warehouses. A local parts guy can be a good friend to have when restoring an old car.

I did my upgrade less than a year ago. Hard to believe these setups are that scarce. I know when my local store looked the parts up they could only see stores in their region. The total was less than 25 stores. I had to ask them to expand their search and they found them. I have also found Carquest and O'Reilly's to be good local sources prior to shopping with someone like Rock Auto.

• 2 months later...

Update: OK, AutoZone seems to have these available again, so I just ordered one online with free shipping. I ordered part #50-1104. Combo Booster/Dual MC for a 67 Riv Drum brakes. I hope this is the right part, and fits properly on the 65 Riv to do the dual MC conversion.

You can also use the original distribution block in its original location. Remove the line which feeds the rear brakes and run it directly to the rear reservoir. Sounds like you are running new brake lines anyway, right? Then place a plug in its original location on the original block....simple!

Tom Mooney

You can also use the original distribution block in its original location. Remove the line which feeds the rear brakes and run it directly to the rear reservoir. Sounds like you are running new brake lines anyway, right? Then place a plug in its original location on the original block....simple!

Tom Mooney

Yes Tom, that is exactly what I was planning on doing. It should be straight forward. Yes, running new fuel, and brake lines. 46 year old lines scare me.

Rob,

Keep in mind, if you choose stainless, they may require a little more torque on the line nuts to get them to seal properly. The stainless is less prone to conform to a flare than regular steel. Double check your work for seepage after applying full hydraulic pressure.

Tom Mooney

Well, just got an e-mail from Autozone, that the booster is no longer available from the vendor.

Seem's A1 Cardone has disco'ed the part. Same trouble I was having a couple of months ago. Think I'm just going to pull the booster off of the parts car I have, and send it out to Dewey to get rebuilt.

If I still want to run the Dual MC, will a stand alone MC off of a Drum/Drum 67 work with the stock 65 booster?

I recently bought a booster/master set up from "booster dewey" at power booster exchange in portland or. I think his prices are reasonable and he is quite knowlegable.You can find him on the web or look him up in the riview

I find when dealing with these parts warehouses you are on your own and in my experience..."you cant put a price on agrivation"!

Mark