Sign in to follow this  
noncompos

Lycoming Truck/Tractor Engine Parts Sources

Going thru my obsolete engine etc parts sources lists the other day, to update, and still have no Lycoming engine parts sources.

My primary interest is industrial (truck/tractor/eqpmt) engines rather than auto engines, so I hesitate to ask Auburn/Cord etc owners to advise sources they undoubtedly treasure, and which would probably have no parts for the industrial engines.

Does anyone know of any sources, or if any of the professional dealers (Egge, Foley. M&M etc) have anything for Lycoming industrials??

Other posts have said Lycoming is no help on the car/truck/tractor engines; has anyone here had any contact with Lycoming re' advice/sympathy/parts for the car etc engines??

Any comments appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud

My Dad's Diamond T Pak-age-car has a Lycoming 4 cylinder motor in it. I only remember him having to have two timing gears custom made as replacements could not be found. The "Pros" that did the work made an error in the keyway cut. This resulted in the motor having to be dismantled a second time after paint work was complete and installed. Never a good thing. What parts are you looking for? We do have a second drive unit which was located at a latter time.

It seems to me that Stewart Trucks also used a Lycoming engine. As far as farm tractors and industrial equipment goes, Lycoming engines are a very rare bird. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Many thxx for quick replies.

MS: Yes, the Pac-Kar/Pac-Age-Kar/Pack-Age-Car (spellings vary, incl Pak-) originally had a two-cyl, hor-opp, located at the rear with the trans; Stutz acquired in 1932 or so, redesigned it (bigger, fancier) and put in a Herc IXA. Then it was sold to a piece of Auburn (1938) who apparently put in the Lycoming. The Auburn outfit supposedly had no dealer network left, so some, or maybe all, were badged Diamond T and sold thru Diamond T dealers (all per Mroz' truck book)

Does your dad still have his?? One source said the Lycoming was the CT, which has a very poorly designed potmetal oil pump which cracks and swells into place, usually has to be destroyed to get it out, with no replacements available, or, if in another engine, just as bad. Sems to be an aging problem. I believe some owners have reported theirs is cracked but, knowing the problem, just cross their fingers and keep mileage down. On oldihc some AU/NZ IH truck owners are working on fab'ing a replacement.

Jim Tremble in Vancouver Wa has the oil pump problem but I don't know if he needs anything else. I would assume the Diamond T and/or Stutz people would love ro know about any extra parts.

DD: Yes, Stewart and a number of the other "assembled" truck makes, as well as IH, used Lycomings, and, yes, they seem to be few and far between. Without going thru my notes I don't believe Lycoming penetrated the Ag field to any great degree; Jim's overhauling a Fageol tractor engine, but Fageol was just dabbling in the tractor field at the time, using Lycoming Ks, CFs and CT's, all of which IH trucks were using, and may've purchased them from IH instead of Lycoming if IH had a surplus.