Peerless ignition model? year?

Guest TBH

Hi, I have a Peerless ignition starter ,I would like to know if some one would know what year and model it gave from. I would like to sell it but have no idea of it's value . thank you TBH

post-77549-143138605964_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Why do you think that is the year range? I had comments when this member posted further up under the AACA Buy/Sell. I know DELCO means it is post Cadillac Self Starter which I opined as 1913-1914.

It looks very similar to the instrument cluster on the 1924 6-70 Peerless Phaeton in MT and the 1927 6-72 7-P Deluxe Sedan in England. The one in MT is very weathered and there is not a great Peerless logo on it like this one. It could be from any year or model after 1912, I suppose. By 1928, a different instrument panel was in use.

Any particular reason you feel there is a connection between Delco and Cadillac?

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

TBH and Bryan,

I looked in my 1926 Peerless 6-72 manual and saw that for it to be for a 1924-26 ignition cluster, at least for a 6-70/6-72, there would be a small lighting switch where the logo is in this picture. Maybe it is for a slightly earlier model. It looks like it's in perfect shape! When I sent my last message, I was in a gas station and couldn't look at my files.

I am not doubting you (that it might be for earlier) but just leaning on your expertise in narrowing it down if possible.

I should buy it for the 24 6-70 :D

Bryan,

With my work schedule, I can't look up everything I want for some time.

I can't precisely ID the ignition switch. My hunch is it's for a 1921-1923 Peerless....mostly because I can't remember seeing pictures of them. I have very few pictures of instrument panels of pre-1928 cars. I think 1918-20s had a layout with side-by-side circles cut out in the dash. This one for sale has an oval shape similar to what a '24-'26 would have: 3 oval clusters side-by-side. The '24 in Montana has this far-right ignition switch panel (missing cluster is for ammeter & oil gauges, I think, on far left), but the 2 levers are a little different in appearance [more sharp-edged on the one for sale], and what's at the top is different [eagle logo on one for sale, light switch on 1924 6-70 & 1926 6-72].

So, I can't tell exactly what year and model it is for, until I get time to look at lots of records.

....Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
added data (see edit history)

Bryan,

Regarding this instrument panel item, I was going to say that the design of the instrument panel trim might be affected by the coachbuilders, since there were so many used by Peerless. Maybe a 1925 Springfield Peerless had a different dash layout than one with a body by Pullman, Raulang, LeBaron, Fisher or Peerless Body. I don't know if all six of these companies were making bodies for Peerless in 1925, but they did all build for Peerless. This type of triple oval instrument cluster was definitely on the '24 and '25 6-70s, 66s and 8-67s; was carried forward on the 6-72s in '26 and '27; but the 6-60 and 6-80 lines had a very simple dash which looked nothing like the one used on the 6-70 and 6-72.

I started looking through files and saw a match to the ignition cluster. There is someone with a 1924 Model 66 Peerless V-8 7-Passenger Suburban Sedan that was in the Dotson Collection(Virginia), then went to Ohio and Oregon. It appears the ignition instrument cluster for sale is an exact match for the 1924 Mod. 66 Sedan in OR...and slightly different from the 1924 Mod. 6-70 Phaeton in MT.

Interestingly enough, all the 1925 Springfield-bodied Peerlesses came equipped with radios!

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
Re-wrote for more clarity. (see edit history)