Dodge Roadster

Mop

TJ Richards cars had their TJR stamping on the firewall and one enameled badge on the passenger side lower cowl at least till 1941

It's such a shame that most of TJR's and Chrysler's early records were lost in a fire.

A little History

T.J. RICHARDS (TJR) was established in 1884 and in 1885 set up shop in Mitcham. As a blacksmith RICHARDS originally built horse drawn carriages, carts, buggies and sulkies building their 1st car body circa 1905 at Hindmarsh Sq Adelaide. 30 years later TJR built their first car body and went on to make vehicles for a range of companies, including Chrysler, operating on Anzac Highway (As stated now Le Cornu's furniture shop). Chrysler eventually took over T.J. Richards in 1947.

Until recently, the Chrysler name had not been used commercially in Australia since 1981. But for more than 50 years Australians had been buying Chrysler's for almost every purpose a vehicle could used for, from towing the family boat to racing around circuits and charging across the country.

Chrysler Australia was a subsidiary of the U.S. Chrysler corporation, a giant multinational concern started by the remarkable Walter P. Chrysler.

Walter P. Chrysler, a former railway worker, made his reputation working for Buick, then took over the Maxwell Motor Company which was heavily in debt. Soon afterwards he bought the Chalmers company and, in 1924, launched a completely new car called Chrysler.

This six cylinder model had a number of engineering refinements including four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Chrysler cars came to Australia during the 1920's and, in 1935, 18 independent agents formed Chrysler-Dodge-De Soto Distributors (Australia) Pty Ltd.

The distributors used their combined strength to purchase and market Plymouth, Dodge and De Soto vehicles. The company acquired a controlling interest in T.J. Richards & Sons, a highly successful Adelaide based body building company which had been the main competitor for Holden's body builders since 1922. For several years T.J. Richards had designed and fitted bodies to locally made Chrysler vehicles. For the 1937-38 selling season, T.J.Richards beat Holden's to the punch by producing Australia's first all steel sedan body.

For several years T.J.Richards had designed and fitted bodies to locally made Chrysler vehicles. For the 1937-38 selling season, T.J.Richards beat Holden's to the punch by producing Australia's first all steel sedan body. During World War 2 Chrysler-Dodge-De Soto Distributors manufactured munitions and aircraft components.

Most of the skilled workforce remained when the firm returned to motor vehicle production in 1945. The company was entirely owned by Australians until June 1951 when Chrysler Corporation bought a controlling interest and Changed the name to Chrysler Australia Ltd. A vigorous expansion plan followed, and inspired by the success of Holden, Chrysler Australia aimed at producing a range of cars and light commercial vehicles with 90 percent local content.

Hope this helps

Wayne

post-76350-143138665233_thumb.jpg

post-76350-143138665235_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys.

That is some great info.

Nozzle. Yes there is a lot of wood on this car. My top bows are OK they have warped a bit but the wood is all there in the whole car so I could easily replace any of it should it be deemed as bad.

there were no badges on the body or the firewall. Someone has painted this car along the way....may have even been restored once as the frame trans and motor are all painted and the paint is still pretty decent.

I would love to find the badges for a TJ body so if there are any out there for sale let me know.

The car is in storage now but I will visit it later this week and try to get some pics of the top bows for you.

G'day.

Mop

Mop

I can get you a flat body plate but the one with the Kangaroo usually comes from a later model and they seem pretty hard to find - my email address is wellery@asia.com send me you details and will get one to you.

Hope this helps

I just looked at your interior and it looks like it will work. Here are the other pieces. These are the metal pieces that go up the slope of the floor rails. Now, these (or at least the upper one) will have to come from a right hand drive car. The first photo shows them as they would look on the floor. The second photo shows how they separate and the third photo shows where the plywood pieces fit into the metal panels. The fourth photo is the rear side. The cutout in the middle is where the piece on ebay fits. These are for my 1931. Yours may differ slightly. John

post-37352-143138668293_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138668302_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138668312_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313866832_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Kinda what I was thinking. Now, if you get a left hand drive upper piece, the big deal would be to reverse the "bumps" for the screw heads. There is also supposed to be a sound/heat deadening pad about 1/2" to 3/4" think on the rear sides of the panels. You may be able to see the outline of where they were.

Maybe I get fancy and put a sheet metal heat shield between floor and trans/engine....;)

I will look for something more up to code when we get there. Driver first then details later right mate?

Keep em coming...I'm going to the cave to get some pics of the top bows for Nozzle.

Thanks as always,

Mop

Ease up of the crudness (lots of laughs) of the Aussie bodies - down under the main manufacturer was Holden and I know of several including my own that have lasted the test of time.

can send you the link to the production numbers if you like!!

Good luck with it - need any help down under give us a yell

Cheers

Do you have a link for production numbers in Aussie land? :rolleyes:

Would love to see....I found some already but nothing specific to down underland..:D

Thanks mate

Mop

Guest stephen48
Do you have a link for production numbers in Aussie land? :rolleyes:

Would love to see....I found some already but nothing specific to down underland..:D

Thanks mate

Mop

There is a book called "The History of Holden Since 1917"by Norm Darwin.It has a lot of information and pictures of Aussie bodied cars from the early days through to 1982.

Some of that information in the book will be very helpful to you. Is that steering wheel broken? It looks to be the same as the 1931 DH6 and 1932 DL6. The 1931 Plymouth PA, 1931 Chrysler CM6 and the 1931 DeSoto SA6 steering wheels should be the same.

Dont waste your money on that manual, Faxon does not know how to bind a book properly and the pages will fall out one by one in short time. Originals pop up on e-bay every now and again for less than the asking price of the repro.

Dodge didn't make a domestic roadster in 1932...a few convertible coupes, yes, but nary a roadster.

A 32 DL6 convertible coupe has always been my dream car...and, at long last, here one is!

I've never actually seen or heard of one (that wasn't hot-rodded) until I stumbled on this image tonight. Only 226 were made. Ain't she purrty?

Anyone else know of one?

post-61720-143138686573_thumb.jpg

Guest Nozzle

Mop

I bought the CD version of the manual and when I need a specific page I just printed it out and laminated it and took it to the garage - also if it gets messed up you can just print of another - with the manuals from the US havent found anything to different on my 29 Ply except some body panels and mountings but the mechanics seem identical - excpect of course where the Righ Hand Drive components come in to play.

Most of the cars the were imported into Australia where flat packed (cant remember the correct term - Keiser???) with dash forward and the body was constructed and installed here - so the mechs seem identical except as mentioned above.

Sorry Mate I lost your email (the young bloke must have deleted it) for you address so I can send you tag over.

Thanks for the pics - the door mechanism is identical to my 29 Ply.

Cheers

Noz

Hi Moparman....I have an excellent gas tank and radiator for a 32 if you are needing? Thanks, Jim

Let me check mine out....car is very rust free and was inside for 30+ years so I may be OK.

Just so I can budget how much for each and can you post some pics. 3 views each.

Thanks,

Mop

• 4 weeks later...

Mop

No worries mate - all I want is some picture of the car in certain areas if possible - bodies like yours are rare down here in that condition - I will look through the pictures u have as to where to place the winged badge (I might be able to something about the number you need to stamp on it so you can get it right) - still looking for the round one have it here somewhere!

Cheers & God Bless

Nozzle

What ever you need Nozzle..... I am so stoked about getting into this car it's ridiculous.

I have to finish my wife's car first.....our cruising season ended tonight with the start of ice and snow.....so hers is back on the main BarbQ.

Hate to put my Fat Blu Fish (Pictured) away for the season but it's time to move on to the her Jamaican Blue Baby Roadster.:D

I'll post a pic of her roadster (69 barracuda vert) later when I get back into it...she's a rusty beech.

Thanks again....just ask when your ready for pics or info. That goes for everyone else too.

Thanks,

Mop

post-78990-143138717702_thumb.jpg