Strut Questions

Seth Rose

Hey guys Im in serious need for new struts on my reatta and i saw some were and read something about a adjuster kit for the back but I have also seen something about the 88's not needing them. So would I need to buy this kit or not is my question also Is there anywhere in particular these engine would leak oil?? just trying to track down where its coming from and it only leaks when i drive which leads me to believe it might me the valve covers but any help there would be much appreciated to thanks

Two days ago I replaced the rear struts on my wife's '90 and yesterday I replaced one of the fronts. The other front I will get to today.

All four years had the same mountings front and rear and I know of no adjuster kits. They do try and sell you a "kit" but all it is, is a bolt and nut. New struts do not come with the rubber bumpers/mountings/cushions at the top but fortunately because I have parts cars I was able to add good cushions and dust sleeves as needed.

I did get mine from Rock Auto for $ 59 each for a total of $ 258 with shipping.

I like to buy American and local but the cheapest price I could find at a local auto parts store was $ 82 and $ 89 plus tax. The ones I got and the local ones were all Monroe made in the USA

Guest Recian

gm 3800s are common for valve covers and intake manifolds. theyre both easy to spot but sometimes they can be mixed up. theyll both puddle on the tranny and timing cover but only valve covers leak on the exhause manifolds and onto the intake manifold. seeing it only drips when the engine runs thats a crankshaft main seal. if youve got an 88 id bank its the rear one seeing as gm had a bulletin for updated part revision for the rear main seal. let the car run and jack it up and look underneath. if its dripping behind the crank pulley for the belt its front. if its dripping from between the engine and tranny its rear. in which case i wish you good luck. there is a rare chance its the oil pan gasket. if it splits or has a section missing the crankshaft splashes oil as it runs and could splash it out the missing section.

Years ago I became concerned when I measured 2 degrees negative in the rear. Spent considerable time and money finding a set of shims that go between the hub and the "axle".

Then noticed another '90 3800 that measured same and with 50k miles on Michelins that were wearing evenly.

It is more important to rotate front-rear than to bother about the rear camber. Toe-in is important and takes a 4 wheel alignment.

Hey guys thanks and if its the rear crank seal I think thatd just bump up the date for me to put in a supercharged 3.8. And Jim I have emailed you a couple of times wanting to buy some electrical components a bcm and possibly a crt. Maybe you didnt get the emails but i was just wondering if you had anything

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys I think I tracked down where the leak is coming from looks like the intake manifold and it running down to the oil pan and covering everything underneath when im driving so I got all the stuff to fix that and i think im going to check the pan gasket just to be safe and as for the struts I bought them from parts geek and I even got the rubber bumpers and all that good stuff so thank you all very much for all the feed back this site has always been a great help for me!