Hood emblem sizes...what's what?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I pulled a hood emblem off a 90 yesterday and I was surprised at how small it was. I didnt measure but it looked to be about 2 1/2 to 2/ 3/4 in width.

The one on my 90 has got to be around 3 1/2 plus.

Did Buick change the sizing on certain years?

I bought mine off Ebay a few years ago so perhaps mine is the non-correct size?

Thanks, Kit

Guest steveskyhawk

Sounds to me like the small one is correct for 1988. A 1990 model should have the large version. The only exception being the Select 60 special hood ornament which is larger than the 88 and smaller than the standard 89-91. Coincidentally all convertibles have a small 88 style hood ornament affixed to the upholstery, centered and behind the seats.

I have often thought about substituting a hood ornament for the center plastic logo found in a center cap. They are a little heavy but might look rich.

post-53748-143138605697_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveskyhawk (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

If you are correct, then this 90 in the PickNPull had theirs replaced with an 88 because it is most certainly the top one in your pic.

I'm curious as to why the bigger size later?

Kit

Guest steveskyhawk

There were lots of changes after 88. Some were obvious and some were more difficult to spot. In this case the bigger hood ornament looks better on that big hood in my opinion.

Guest steveskyhawk

Vincent is correct. A nice 88 emblem is hard to come by. When installing do not tighten the attachment nut. Overtightening the nut breaks the glass also.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I did pick it up. :)

And I got it for free. (but that's another story)

Speaking of condition this one has the typical dark bruising.

(in the gold area) It is in the center area of the emblem.

By the way, I have also noticed that many get "tweaked" or warped, perhaps

from someone over-tightening the nut or hitting it with something.

Other than the bruising mine is in great shape. :)

Kit

Guest steveskyhawk

That "bruising" in the gold area of the hood ornament is corrosion. The hood ornament has almost a ceramic finish produced with powdered glass in a kiln. When this glass finish is fractured, air gets underneath and the discoloration begins. This can be repaired but the process is quite expensive.

This ornament was was not cheap to produce originally. They could have gone with a plastic part but optioned for the nice one we see on our cars today.