Transporting a Reatta across the US

Guest mounthopewalt

Guest mounthopewalt

I need to transport (by truck) the vehicle from the northwest to the east. No, it's not a Select 60, so I trying to keep the cost down. Any recommendations?

Please let us know what you find and any cost. I may very well have my Reatta

transported from the SE to the NW in the near future.

Google it and you will find any number of sites that will send you a quote from as many

as five different companies.

Also consider a drive away company.

Marck,

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up on the replies.

What kind of prices were you quoted from origin to

destination?

It was about a 300 mile trip, and I was quoted anywhere from $250 to $485. Of course, these prices are assuming that the car runs. I was told that since the car didn't run it would add about another $100 to $150.

Guest mounthopewalt

I'm finding that the quotes via rail are much lower than by truck. Some quotes would not reveal the fuel surcharge. Buyer beware.

Guest Kingsley

I had a very acceptable transport of two vehicles from New Orleans to Pacific Palisades, CA, using Dependable Auto Transport also called just DAS. That was in late 2004,

Just last summer was arranging the transport of an Escalade from LA to Norhwest Idaho and selecting a carrier was really a crapshoot. Ending up not doing it last year but by virtue of contacts was able to have a trustworthy young fellow fly down to LA and drive it back. Worked out to less than 50% of the traditional cost. That was an usual situation and doubt if would have worked if did not have the contacts.

You have to bear in mind that all of the quoters, generally, are just brokers. Once you get request a quote, the need for a truck is posted on a "board" for geographically positioned truckers to offer their services.

Unfortunately, the brokers, in most situations, have very little control of the truckers once they are engaged.

I guide I use is to deal with brokers who are properly rated by the BBB and that is about the most you will get. Customers are urged to report, and get a monetary amount, for making a favorable post. Also, best in my opinion to use carriers who own their own fleet as opposed to using "spot" truckers. Some owner carriers do both.

I have a friend who is engaged in arranging transporting fora newly purchased Reatta from the LA area to Indiana. There were some interesting revelations in some of the email exchanges and, if she agrees, I will send some excerpts from those exchanges.

Did not know that rail service was available and could be more dependable than trucking. Protection from road conditions for your vehicle is a prime consideration and I believe you can specify "top" location on the truck. Now, whether you get it or not and the service you get can be the crapshoot. Some times you just have to roll the dice!

Kingsley

Edited by Kingsley
Typos (see edit history)

SeaRail is another, but they require it moves on its own if I recall.

One time I dealt with a local company...they quoted a reasonable price, but they messed up at the border...then when I got the bill, they told me the charge was in US dollars...they had neglected to tell me that on the quote.