Off topic--------where rust must be imported

Jim

I was just reading a post by Padgett and noticed part of his signature or ???? said "Orlando, where rust must be imported"

Many years ago I was looking for a rust free truck in Texas and came upon a truck that had been near the coast. The bottom was fine but the top was terrible. I have seen other near the sea cars with the same problem.

Every year we go to Mazatlan and last year I took some pix of some cars stored in locked yard. Mazatlan is right on the Pacific.

Here are some pix.

Jim

post-30613-143138603803_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143138603809_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143138603816_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143138603824_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Odds are that rust free vehicles wont be found in Texas either. Some people will identify a vehicle as "rust free" if it has no rust holes in the body. Not so. All vehicles will have some corrosion but the amount will vary exponentially. The Desert Southwest definition of a corrosion free vehicle is one that can be disassembled with nothing but hand tools and without the aid of wd40 or the like. It just comes apart the same way it was assembled. I lived in the "rust belt" for far too long and it is a joy to work on a truly corrosion free vehicle. A vehicle that was operated in the inland part of Florida such as Orlando could easily meet the "rust free" DSW definition.

Edited by steveskyhawk (see edit history)

Guest Recian

We have that problem with cars here near atlantic beach NC. Cars will have rust all over the body and none underneath or lots underneath and none outside from being beach cars or cars that stay at beach houses

Guest Richard D

Padgett, Do Fiero space frames have any rust problems? How about suspension stuff on the dirty side?

Guest Richard D

I have been looking at a few of them that have been sitting and I can not see the space frame and the bottoms look very clean for 24 year old cars sitting outside for years. After my experiance with an early production 84 model I said I would never buy another one, but I spent three years looking and can't find a good Gremlin or Cricket, so.....NO I am crazy, I need to make my Reatta perfect ( tires, wheel hub, interior trim piece) before I buy another project