Headlight Switch Compaitability 1990

Roadster90

Nic-

For 1990, the Rivi switch will work in the Reatta for the headlights -BUT- you will loose the ability to turn your fog lights off and on, as the fog lamp switch on the Reatta version is displaced by the twilight sentinel control on the Rivi version. Actually, that assumes the Rivi had twilight sentinel, I think it was optional on some years. If the donor Rivi had no TS functionality, then I assume there is a blank spot in the face of the switch module there.

Just ran into a gentleman here locally about 2 weeks ago who had a 90 driftwood coupe, and he asked if I know why his fog lamps didn't work. I looked and saw the headlamp switch was taken from a Riviera (had a slider and "twilight sentinel" where the fog lamp switch would have been) so I informed him he had the wrong switch. I also told him how difficult it was to find a correct 90 headlamp switch in good working order.

I further invited him to check here on the forum, and join the group. Whether he does or not remains to be seen.

As for 1991, I believe the headlamp switches for Rivi/Reatta are the same from 91 on (so 92/93 Riviera switches can be used as replacements) since the 1991 Reatta has twilight sentinel as a standard feature, and the fog lamp switch was relocated to the center console. KDirk KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Jim, why do some of the switches have the tiny dots on the buttons and the others don't. Braille?

Ronnie,

Strange you asked that question right now.

Yesterday I was showing my 12 year old grand son how I fix these switches and that is the first time I also noticed that some of these have the raised dots and some don't. Maybe GM realized right away that these switches might come apart if pressed too hard on the right side so they put the raised dots on the left to tell folks to push on that side of the switch.

Since these are a '90 only switch the fog button is a '90 only button and some of them have the dots and other don't so maybe GM added the dots mid year.

3895 (Feb) no dots, 8220 (June) dots.

Thats weird. My VIN is slightly lower than yours, 81-something, yet it was built in July.

I wonder if the 'braille' version of the switch happened about the same time as the headlight relay was added. Does your Feb car have the relay? (It is to the left of the fuse block on the drivers side of the console.)

I rescued a minty non-T/S switch from a Riviera a while back. It looks just like the others, with the identical LIGHTS switch (w/braille), Park switch, and Panel Lights slider. Just has a flat area where the FOG switch or T/S slider would be. I should probably post a photo of it.

Guest blue72beetle
Maybe the switches with the dots (braille) were only installed in Reattas that were going to be driven by blind people. www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-lol-risa-007.gif

They need to be able to turn on the lights to see!

yet another 400 point item... Maybe better not to know.

Ronnie,

Very good reply.

Padgett,

This would definitely not be a judging issue. If you had a Riviera switch in your '90 and the guy doing the interiors happened to see it you might get one point taken off but either the switch with the dots or without is correct.

Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

I judged interiors last week and did NOT notice the dots/no dots on the switches. The stuff you learn on this forum!!! Next year I will be ready!!!

I believe one of my car has dots on the switch and the other does not.

Tom

Here are the four variations of the '90-'93 headlight switches that I have found. From left to right, '90-93 Riviera base, '90-93 Riviera/'91 Reatta with T/S, '90 Reatta with fog and braille, '90 Reatta with fog and no braille. All work just fine in a '90 Reatta for basic headlights, parking lights, and panel lights. But only the ones with the FOG button will control the fog lights. The T/S switch has no effect, as it uses a different pair of pins than the pair used for the fog lights.:

6147-various-90-93-riviera-reatta-headlight.jpg

Edited by wws944
Clarifications (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley

Talking about braille and folks who cannot see ... both Jim Finn and I have sold parts to blind Reatta owneers. Yes and they install them themselves with a very little bit of help! Now driving would be a different issue but I am sure that they enjoy the ride nevertheless!

The A/C in my Reatta was recharged by a blind friend of mine. Family was in the commercial HVAC biz for several decades. His cousin, also a HVAC guy, found some R-12 in the back of his shop, and of course they had all the gauges. None of us knew anything about Reattas at the time. Nonetheless, we spent a very enjoyable morning getting it working again.

Copied from the other thread, Padgett wrote:

One thing I am curious about is were the ones that failed, late 90 (braille) switches installed on early 90 (no relay) cars ? Could the later ones have been designed to be "light duty" ? YWTK

While I haven't disassembled the switches, the pins on the back are identical between braille and non-braille. The pins that carry high current (pre-relay) for the headlights are larger than the ones for the other functions.

Am wondering if early '90 Rivs had non-braille variants of the base and T/S switch. If so, that would make six variations in all.