1931 Dodge DH 4-Door

Is that not just a later engine? When I had the 29 DA I was told the swap to a later flathead 6 was nearly a simple bolt in.

It is a DH engine. I see the prefix on the engine number and "touringcuda" says it is stamped with the "DH" prefix.

post-37352-143138650633_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The stamping in the engine block was hard to read so we lit it with a flashlight from an angle to read. DH 23037 or DH 28037. We couldn't determine the second digit with what we had at hand. Maybe some chalk would have helped. We tried white out and I now know that is not a good idea.

What is a model 238 Engine?

The manifold setup. Is that a minus or plus?

The present owner said he used to foul plugs a lot but a carb rebuild solved that.

He bought the car with this setup. Was this a common handyman upgrade as more modern cars had downdraft carbs?

The "VIN" number on the passenger side door post is 3543262.

Did you recieve all 23 pictures?

The cowl vents are gone. Is there a reason someone would do this? leak? whistle?

The engine side covers have some mysterious holes. Maybe missing chrome. Could they possibly be wrong?

Did you see the odometer picture. To my untrained eye this is a fairly well preserved car. It is kept in a basement garage and he said it dosen't even drip on the floor. The interior appears to have been redone in the original pattern but with 70-80's velourish material maybe trying to duplicate mohair??

Saturday when we arrived at 11:00 it was already pushing 90 with high humidity. It cut our visit short but this was just a preliminary to see just how desirable the car may be. I think the car demands a closer inspection and a longer drive. Although the car is for sale he seems in no hurry to sale and said the price is negotiable.

I don't want to be a downer here, but the more I look at the car, the more problems I see with it. I see that the body has been filled at the rear where the gas tank cover should be. I see that the running boards look to be wood and the splash aprons above the boards are flat (which means they have been fabricated) and the body sill bead is gone completely. That, along with the vents being sealed up tells me that the car was a rust bucket that someone has salvaged. I would walk away with my hand over my wallet pocket and be glad to have not purchased it. I see that it looks good as far as paint, but I think it's just that....paint. Yes, I got all of the photos. The holes around the louvers on the hood sides have been added to attach trim, it looks like. Not original. I have already discussed the lack of original lights and other items. I also noticed that there is an instrument missing on the dash. Anyway....if you are looking to purchase a solid, restored or restorable car, I would not choose that one. John

Oh...don't know what the 238 means and the manifold setup is a plus, to me.

post-37352-143138650839_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650848_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650858_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650862_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650867_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313865087_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650875_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650879_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650883_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650886_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I appreciate your honest judgement on the condition of the car. You opened my eyes and had the patience to mentor me when I needed help. I now have a higher appreciation of the older classic cars and I trust that I can turn to this forum if further needs arise.

The hood didnt seem to fit exactly right. When looking from the front the center seam wasn't exactly centered, like there was a little too much material.

Touringcuda