64 Riv need wheel spec advice

Mikesan

Hi, I'm restoring a '64 Riv and want to put 18 x 8 torque thrust II wheels on it. Intend to use a 235/50/18 tire all around. I know it's a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, but what about offset, spacing, etc do I need to know? Car is painted and interior starts to go in tomorrow. Engine is at machine shop getting an entire overhaul. thanks for any advice.

You can also get a good idea of how your new tires will fit by using this guide.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I use 225/70/15 as the OE tire, and 5.5" for the OE wheel with a 0 ET (offset)and then plug in the tire and wheel you want. Make sure that you know ALL of the details of the wheel in question. You need to know the ET (offset) in mm, the backspacing will be calculated for you.

Lots of guys are worried about back spacing, but you only need to be concerned with it as to how the rim will fit over the brake drum or rotor/caliper. Make sure that your new wheel has at least a 3.08" center hole for a '64 or later (something like 3.48" on '63 and earlier) and that there is room on the back side of the wheel for the rivets that hold the drum to the hub (front only - ever wondered why the OE wheel has dimples between the bolt holes? - now you know.) A 225mm tire on a 5.5" rim has a lot of bulge in the tire. A 245mm tire on a 8.5" rim has hardly any. Therefore, if you lay wheel on its face and lay a straight egde across the tire and measure the distance from the straight edge to the back of the bolt surface, it will be less than .5" than a 245mm tire on a 8.5 in. rim even though the back spacing on the OE wheel is about 3.5 inches and the new wheel backspacing will be much more. It's the tire that rubs, not the wheel. Measure, measure, measure. Don't just look at backspacing. If a rim is 3 inches wider, it's going to have a deeper backspacing - common sense.

Use the tools yourself. Make sure YOUR tire and wheel, fit YOUR car. Don't worry about what the other guy has.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I went with Newstalgia and ordered a set of American Racing AR-500 wheels in 17X8. They are listed in 5X4.5 and 5X4.75 sizes, but they called A.R. and were able to make them in a 5X5. I was excited to keep it an (original) look but with a little more mass to the wheels and tires.

I went with Newstalgia and ordered a set of American Racing AR-500 wheels in 17X8. They are listed in 5X4.5 and 5X4.75 sizes, but they called A.R. and were able to make them in a 5X5. I was excited to keep it an (original) look but with a little more mass to the wheels and tires.

Glad you found something you like for your car. Of course, we want to see pictures when you get these on. I have attached a view of the AR-500 wheel you chose here.

post-53315-143138623939_thumb.gif

What size tires did you end up with?

According to the math I did on clearance on the inside, based off of the current 225/75R15's barely rubbing at full lock, a 245/45R18 should have ~0.25 of clearance with 3.85in backspacing. With a 9.6in wide tire, think there's be rubbing on the outside at ~1.5-2in lower than stock?