88' Reatta Dashboard Electrical Problem Issue

Guest Cobradvs

Guest Cobradvs

Hi everybody, I am new to the forums and hopefully somebody can shed some light on my problems with my Reatta, which I LOVE by the way. My speedometer and most of my touch screen, just do not work most of the time. About 90% of the time, it just says "electrical problem" where my speed should be displayed. However even when the speedometer and the rest of my dashboard is out, my radio is still fully functional. I can not go to the "gages" "climate" or any other page, just my radio. But in the rare occasion that the dashboard works, everything works great! So anyway I hope somebody can help me, thanks!

Tyler

Guest steveskyhawk

Sounds to me like you need a Central Power Supply. Mike at buickreattaparts.com has tested units and will explain how to remove and replace it. His phone is 480 239-2788

Good luck

Hi everybody, I am new to the forums and hopefully somebody can shed some light on my problems with my Reatta, which I LOVE by the way. My speedometer and most of my touch screen, just do not work most of the time. About 90% of the time, it just says "electrical problem" where my speed should be displayed. However even when the speedometer and the rest of my dashboard is out, my radio is still fully functional. I can not go to the "gages" "climate" or any other page, just my radio. But in the rare occasion that the dashboard works, everything works great! So anyway I hope somebody can help me, thanks!

Tyler

Welcome to the forum!

Touch screen going to radio only indicates the system is in RAP. What does RAP stand for? - Clixk here.

The problem is usually is caused by a bad start switch. You may have other problems as well.

Guest patriciabeth

My courtesy light stays on apparently draining the battery.....only happens intermittently.... Any idea why that happens?

Guest Cobradvs

Ok guys thanks for the replies. As far as the RAP, the windows, mirrors, seats, basically anything that runs off electricity will work when the car is off and the door is closed, of course when I open the door that is not the case but I'm fairly sure thats how its supposed to be.

Also I forgot to mention this in the original posting but when the dashboard and everything is working correctly, I get a notification in the diagnostic center that says "engine controls problem detected" and then it says something that it has encountered an electrical problem.

Ok guys thanks for the replies. As far as the RAP, the windows, mirrors, seats, basically anything that runs off electricity will work when the car is off and the door is closed, of course when I open the door that is not the case but I'm fairly sure thats how its supposed to be.

Also I forgot to mention this in the original posting but when the dashboard and everything is working correctly, I get a notification in the diagnostic center that says "engine controls problem detected" and then it says something that it has encountered an electrical problem.

You should check for codes stored in the ECM. Istructions on how to do it are here: Repair Instructions and Tutorials*-*ReattaOwner.com

It's a good idea to add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help answer your questions without repeatedly asking you about the specific model you own.

Click "User CP" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

Thanks!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Clean the connections on the common ground and hot studs above and behind the battery. Bad connections there will cause all kinds of squirrelly problems with the electronics.

Also how many volts does you battery read engine off?

Guest Cobradvs

Thanks for the tips there, I'll have to try that. I don't know how many volts the battery runs when the car is off, I'd have to measure it. What is it supposed to be?

Guest Mc_Reatta

12.6 is ideal. If not 12.2 or above battery is weak and can cause problems with the cars electronics.

Take into account that a cheap DVM may not be accurate to the tenth of a volt. May want to check other batteries to verify a low reading is correct.

I recommend checking the voltage between the negative post and the positive cable at the battery, the positive terminal at the alternator and the post behind the battery. They should all be the same if the cables are good and connections clean. Also between the positive post and the engine block and the negative post behind the battery. A difference of a few tenths of a volt or more indicates damaged cable or poor connections.