1939 wiring diagram

Guest buicks39

Guest buicks39

would anyone have a diagram for a 39 special showing the wires on the generator to the relay on the firewall?im having trouble with my charging system and the only wires i can remember possibly screwing up when i rewired the engine area are those three wires.maybe does not make a difference but i eliminated just about everything else. thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

We have the schematic that Rhode Island Wiring provided us with when we bought our new wiring from them. Perhaps a call to them might help in the short term?

Cheers

Grant

The manual does not refer to wire color,

Field of generator goes to Field of relay

"A" terminal on generator goes to center terminal of relay

other relay terminal should be marked "B" for battery and wire goes to charge indicator on dash.

Guest buicks39

took the car today to get an electrical check and was told all components are good.he did say that i had a voltage drop from the regulator to the battery and the readings were at the battery6 and the battery 7.he advised me to sandpaper all the connections.hopefully this will solve the problem.

buick39, as a temporary fix, try running a wire from the battery terminal on the regulator to the battery .This will bypas the charging indicator, but should not be a problem. It will just be an additional path to the battery. When I rewired my '50, I used 8gauge wire instead of the 10gauge in the original harness. My belief is that the 10gauge is a little small. Also, do you have the correct battery cables? The positive one should be as big as your thumb. The ground is about 1 inch wide, flat.

Hope this helps

Benl

Guest buicks39

meant to say 7 at the regulator.i cleaned all the connections and same problem.i will try running the wire like said and if no success i will leave the car and shell out some bucks to have it fixed