1931 Merchants Express

farrellg

Just to clarify what I know, and its not much. My 3/4 ton model U124 was referred to as an express in the literature I have. It was always registered as a 1931 and this seems to fall into the serial number range for the U124. Shows only built in 1930 & 31. Mine does have the small window behind the cab.

This is an actual picture of the DD engine in my 32' DB 1/2 ton pickup.

Thanks, but I did finally find the correct master cylinder and just re-sleeved it. Going to install it today if all goes well.

And yes, I do have the 29' engine and trans for sale.

NICE....great job !

Care to post any pics of the body ? would love to see the rest of it. Pics are always informative and helpful to others :)

Just to clarify what I know, and its not much. My 3/4 ton model U124 was referred to as an express in the literature I have. It was always registered as a 1931 and this seems to fall into the serial number range for the U124. Shows only built in 1930 & 31. Mine does have the small window behind the cab.

Hi George,

can you by chance post a pic of that information ? It may explain somethings better that we aren't seeing. I have 2 Parts lists books for 3/4 tons, as well as a 1/2 Merchant Express E series, and a 1/2 ton F series trucks but I have also found no other mention of Merchant Express other than the 29 E series book I have. I'd just like know how it's showing up in your literature so I can make note of it so not to be confused any longer.

For some reason your truck is really throwing me, and I know it's because my thought process has always been the Merchant Express was referred to as the 1/2 ton Panels only, but evidently thats not true. If you say yours is a Merchant Express I trust that to be correct but I would like to know why a 3/4 ton 124 wb is being referred to as such. I remember your truck was the export and is a more rare truck but just trying to figure out why the title of Merchant Express was put on different weight ratings.

Sorry George, I stand corrected. They evidently did produce a Merchant Express beyond 1929 and into the 31-32 trucks. See photos below from the WPC newsletter dated Feb 1979. In this issue was also a Merchant Express Screen NUF-10 that was identical to the one on the cover only with screens added to the sides (note this truck is just out of view bottom right in the 2nd photo below, if someone needs a better scan of that particular screenside Merchant Express just let me know).

Guys, pictures are good because they are helpful to many others who follow. Please post pics in order to help those of us who have questions. Posting pics is not an act of boasting or anything like that, it's so we can all learn and gain knowledge that is correct for our restorations.

Heres what I found from the WPC news 1979:

post-69994-143141761429_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141761406_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]179030[/ATTACH]Post is old but thought I'd throw my two cents in.....I believe the Merchant Express was a 1/2 ton,1929 model only. It came with a 109" wheel base and a 4-cylinder engine. I have a 32' 1/2 ton F-10 pickup but it wasn't called a Merchant Express, 1/2 ton Models were UF-10 (4-cyl) or the optional F-10 (6-cyl) model both with 109' wheel base. Wood spoked wheels, No extra window behind the door and full rear window.

In looking at the 1929 Dodge Brothers Trucks Busses and Motor Coaches brochure listing all models avail 4 cyl brochure dated Jan of 1929 they show the W.B as being 110 inches.

There is also a brochure officially un-dated but shows as being received dated 8-20-1929 that shows the Merchant xpress 110 W.B as being avail in 6 cyl form and offered with the new lockheed hydraulic brakes over the old steer draulic.

Merchant Express was initially and for years prior G.B as well

EDIT: Actually reverse the info shown above, I mis-read publication dates

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Here are a couple of photos from publications. The Truck picture is from the Dodge Brotgers Club News in the Truck guide. (Assembly of Truck articles available from the club). It lists this Truck as a 1/2 Ton UF 10. However, it is the only picture close to my U124 I have ever found. Long box and window behind door. My truck is not a canopy though. The second picture is of another part of the book showing the mod U's. third photo is from the Truck Master Parts book showing the U models. My U124 was not an export. My other truck is the export, U133. Hope this helps and I do recommend the Truck Article book from the club. It is worth it just to have all the truck related articles in one place.

post-69599-143141761642_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141761647_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141761651_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of photos from publications. The Truck picture is from the Dodge Brotgers Club News in the Truck guide. (Assembly of Truck articles available from the club). It lists this Truck as a 1/2 Ton UF 10. However, it is the only picture close to my U124 I have ever found. Long box and window behind door. My truck is not a canopy though. The second picture is of another part of the book showing the mod U's. third photo is from the Truck Master Parts book showing the U models. My U124 was not an export. My other truck is the export, U133. Hope this helps and I do recommend the Truck Article book from the club. It is worth it just to have all the truck related articles in one place.

Oh yeah, this helps ! Thanks for posting those George, very helpful.

Forgive me though but, I still do not see where your 3/4 ton 124"wb is labelled a Merchant Express other than the statement in the middle photo that reads " Said to be a Merchant Express by it's owner" and then this statement "It's possible that the general public called them all Merchant Express".

Again, forgive me but I don't see this as proof that 3/4 tons were ever labelled Merchant Express's by either the Dodge Brothers or Chrysler camp. Is this what your basing your conclusion on for your truck being a Merchant Express or am I missing something ?

EDIT: this is a great topic. I'm just trying to understand.

In looking at the 1929 Dodge Brothers Trucks Busses and Motor Coaches brochure listing all models avail 4 cyl brochure dated Jan of 1929 they show the W.B as being 110 inches.

There is also a brochure officially un-dated but shows as being received dated 8-20-1929 that shows the Merchant xpress 110 W.B as being avail in 6 cyl form and offered with the new lockheed hydraulic brakes over the old steer draulic.

Merchant Express was initially and for years prior G.B as well

Jason,

what about this though ?

post-69994-143141761714_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141761655_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141761687_thumb.jpg

Unless you can remind me of something George or teach me something I am under the impression as well that the x-press trucks were 1000 pound or 1/2 ton trucks, in ( Jan ) 1929 they were listed as this in SE and SEW form, 1500 pounds or 3/4 ton were commercial truck DE DEW DEF and then the 1 1/4 ton BE BEW IEF BEF IE and IEW.

Those were as far as I am aware the only smaller tonnage trucks avail in 1929 until you got to the 3 ton and school buses.

I am also anxious to learn as well though!

Maybe I need to look beyond January

Jason,

what about this though ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]179081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179083[/ATTACH]

Are you referring solely too the W.B, if so than I guess their are again discrepancies and in this case I would agree obviously with what you have shown over what I was referring too.

But wait, maybe I can do you one better, give me a minute!

Ok I can save face after all, if you will notice in my post above I mention Jan of 1929 as my reference point, up until April of 1929 they carried a 110 inch W.B, May of 1929 W.B change was reported a new model and that is when W.B was decreased to 109.

Let me look at the manual pages above and see how this info fits in with them.

If you have the time do the math, see how this fits, doing what I did is one way we can identify better transition periods with these trucks.

Ok I can save face after all, if you will notice in my post above I mention Jan of 1929 as my reference point, up until April of 1929 they carried a 110 inch W.B, May of 1929 W.B change was reported a new model and that is when W.B was decreased to 109.

Let me look at the manual pages above and see how this info fits in with them.

If you have the time do the math, see how this fits, doing what I did is one way we can identify better transition periods with these trucks.

Sorry, I'm not following what you mean by this. I'll gladly help but what math are you speaking of ? Can you be more specific and remember I have different literature than I believe your referring to.

EDIT:

If your referring to the 3 pics of the 109"wb pics in post 91 the published dates on the pages are November 1st 1930 and the corrected pages are dated May 10th 1931

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I will try to get a picture of the thumb lock on the shifter tomorrow. Kept forgetting.

On the U124. I have used Merchants Express and Express interchangeably, but incorrectly. I am posting a couple more pictures. I believe Jason provided these to me a while back. Now my truck is 4 cylinder U124. However, they refer to the U124 as Commercial Truck. However, they refer to the body type, as Express. My oldest registration from 1941 lists body type as express. So my net of all this is that the 3/4 ton is not the model Merchants Express, it is Model U124 with an Express body, or what we would call a pickup. The one picture I sent calls the U124 "Commercial Truck" express bodied. Now, as I learn, things could change the next piece of literature I found. Like the club truck book says, 1927 thru 1932, when things got confusing. Hope this helps.

post-69599-143141762013_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141762017_thumb.jpg

I will try to get a picture of the thumb lock on the shifter tomorrow. Kept forgetting.

On the U124. I have used Merchants Express and Express interchangeably' date=' but incorrectly. I am posting a couple more pictures. I believe Jason provided these to me a while back. Now my truck is 4 cylinder U124. However, they refer to the U124 as Commercial Truck. However, they refer to the body type, as Express. My oldest registration from 1941 lists body type as express. So my net of all this is that the 3/4 ton is not the model Merchants Express, it is Model U124 with an Express body, or what we would call a pickup. The one picture I sent calls the U124 "Commercial Truck" express bodied. Now, as I learn, things could change the next piece of literature I found. Like the club truck book says, 1927 thru 1932, when things got confusing. Hope this helps.[/quote']

One more picture.

post-69599-14314176205_thumb.jpg

On the U124. I have used Merchants Express and Express interchangeably, but incorrectly. I am posting a couple more pictures. I believe Jason provided these to me a while back. Now my truck is 4 cylinder U124. However, they refer to the U124 as Commercial Truck. However, they refer to the body type, as Express. My oldest registration from 1941 lists body type as express. So my net of all this is that the 3/4 ton is not the model Merchants Express, it is Model U124 with an Express body, or what we would call a pickup. The one picture I sent calls the U124 "Commercial Truck" express bodied. Now, as I learn, things could change the next piece of literature I found. Like the club truck book says, 1927 thru 1932, when things got confusing. Hope this helps.

Yes, good reasoning and I think you have it, merchants express was a specific body style offered by G.B D.B but an express body meaning ( I am assuming ) that it was designed with loading un-loading in mind could have prob. technically ( just a guess ) been attached to any size chassis if a custom body were to be ordered. Or they did offer an express body already built/ set-up specifically for some larger tonnage trucks as we see here.

George when you post that picture will you post a couple with a clear explanation of how it works and maybe what trans. in your opinion it may have been offered on, thanks.

Sorry, I'm not following what you mean by this. I'll gladly help but what math are you speaking of ? Can you be more specific and remember I have different literature than I believe your referring to.

EDIT:

If your referring to the 3 pics of the 109"wb pics in post 91 the published dates on the pages are November 1st 1930 and the corrected pages are dated May 10th 1931

Well than excellent, you did not have to do much math, I meant will you use the serial numbers found on the front cover, use my listing of the month where the change in wheelbase took place and try to figure out a date for the material/parts manual you posted by using the few serial number guides we have for dating material. I forgot that the parts manual was dated.

Ok, now I see how you came to that conclusion. I assume this is the same literature that Jason has in regards to Buses and Motor Coaches.

Interesting, I've never noticed that before. Definately need to find more correspondence for this for a more thorough explanation of the term "Express" with a total coverage of the usage of that term and how it applies.

Thank you George, that helps alot but I do have a question.

Do you happen to have a parts list book specific for the U-124 ? The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious to know if you have a factory photo of your truck in the beginning of it ? For instance, like the photo of the Merchant Express Panel truck in post #91 above. I just wonder if that may help shed some light on your truck as well. If you don't have that book we'll need to know so we can keep an eye out for it and make sure we can get it to you. EDIT: In post #26 page 2 of this thread you show a Master Parts Book for trucks and the Instruction Book specific for your the 133" wb truck but just trying to see if you have the parts list book specific for your type of U-124 with the Express body ?

I have a Truck Master Parts Book, it covers both my Trucks U124 & U133. But it has pictures of trucks in the front. I would love to find the model specific parts books for them. Additionally, I have the instruction book for both models. However, publish date is in 1929. The U133 book is the actual one that came with the truck. The original owner had it. The U124 book I picked up.

George,

give this guy a shout. Maybe he'll have something specific for your U-124 Pickup ? If you call and he has one, I'd make sure of what type of truck body is pictured on the inside cover first before committing to purchase. Hes pretty helpful and knowledgable about these trucks and should be able to help or point you in the right direction if he doesn't have anything in stock. I didn't see anything that matches your U-124 in his current database online but I'd still call him if I were you, a call may turn up different results. Good luck.

Arizona Parts

Sorry took so long to post these photos. These are of the reverse lock out on my U133 1 Ton. The rod goes though a hole or slot in the base of the shifter. The lever by the handle must be pulled up to allow the transmission to be shifted into reverse. This prevents accidental shifting of the transmission into reverse.

post-69599-143141764482_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141764486_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141764489_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141764493_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed in the Master Parts book different frame part #'s for the DE and the DA 120. They must be different frame shapes since both models have have different #.

Do the DA 120 and DA 124 have the raised hump over the rear axle ?

My DA 124 has the raised hump over the rear axle, don't know about the 120s

A Diamond in the rough............1932 Dodge Brothers F-10 1/2 ton PU /w 109" wheel base.

I wish mine were that rough

Here is some more info on the reverse lockout. They show the models, shift pattern etc. This was a four speed. Reverse was all the way to the right and down. The lockout prevented the operator catching reverse when trying to get fourth.

post-69599-143141783398_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141783402_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141783406_thumb.jpg

post-69599-14314178341_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199981[/ATTACH] That of you when I seen this George. I realize it's earlier than yours but thought it was neat to see the Merchant's Express listed.

Looks like the "E" series 1 ton. Where did you find this ad? Is it possible to get a better resolution picture I could put with my files?

Same place I found this one of two right hand drive models in a British advert. I saved this one because of the Panel truck that is one year older than my panel. That's the best I can do for you Sherman. Try clicking on it a few times to blow it up to see if that works if you haven't already.

post-69994-143141968758_thumb.jpg

Looks like the "E" series 1 ton. Where did you find this ad? Is it possible to get a better resolution picture I could put with my files?

Pretty sure this identical add is on e-bay over and over again, nobody wants to spend the 5 dollars so he keeps re-listing, maybe the B.W add too but cant be sure on that one

Pretty sure this identical add is on e-bay over and over again, nobody wants to spend the 5 dollars so he keeps re-listing, maybe the B.W add too but cant be sure on that one

Yes Jason that's where I found them. Sorry Sherman, wasn't avoiding your question intentionally just thought you would have known after I posted them. It's really some incredible artwork, the nostalgic impression it leaves us with today is pretty incredible for such a simple ad. I wish I did have a larger version of it too.

I wish I did have a larger version of it too.

For 5 dollars or so either of you could have a slice of the American dream :)

For 5 dollars or so either of you could have a slice of the American dream :)

I could see your point if it was one of our trucks specifically but for one piece of paper and a buy it now of 9.99 I think I can wait till a true match to my Panel is listed at another time ;) Like this one for instance, it's closer but still not correct for what I'm lookin for. By the way, I believe this is truly what is meant by "Merchant's Express" in this ad. That's the 120" wb model I would think. What are your thoughts guys ? I know what George means by his being a "Express" but I still believe the term "Merchant's Express" is the 1/2 ton trucks and this panel shown below . I think George has it right, his is a Commercial 3/4 or U124 labeled as an Express.

post-69994-143141970961_thumb.jpg

Very close to my 31. In 31 the bed was not attached to the cab on my truck. More like a modern pickup with a bit of separation. But you can see the use of the express term.

And the Ford guys think they had the first unibody... ;)

I could see your point if it was one of our trucks specifically but for one piece of paper and a buy it now of 9.99 I think I can wait till a true match to my Panel is listed at another time ;) Like this one for instance, it's closer but still not correct for what I'm lookin for. By the way, I believe this is truly what is meant by "Merchant's Express" in this ad. That's the 120" wb model I would think. What are your thoughts guys ? I know what George means by his being a "Express" but I still believe the term "Merchant's Express" is the 1/2 ton trucks and this panel shown below . I think George has it right, his is a Commercial 3/4 or U124 labeled as an Express.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]200238[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting ads. I was able to get the better resolution photo of ad. Just learning how to use the Apple computer methods.

I know this truck isn't a Merchant's Express but thought it may be of interest to some of you. Here is his email reply to me : "Yes I still have the truck, last time I offered it $2500 or best offer. No I don't have a title, I have

a hand rote bill of sale. I bough it from a lady that inherited all of her grandfathers estate. She

said he owned the truck ever since she could remember but she could not find a title. It has a Texas

tag dated 1934".

post-69994-143141971817_thumb.jpg

His original ad reads :For Sale "Graham Brothers Truck. It is a 1 1/2 ton the engine turns over and is almost complete".