1931 Merchants Express

farrellg

Can anyone tell me if the Merchants Express was made in 1931? I have what we believe to be a 1931 Merchants Express, however, the serial numbers info I have leads me to believe this was only made in 1929. Not being an expert, looking for some help. Also, this truck had a pickup box on back. Appears to have been wood. Maybe covered in metal. Is there any one that has a picture or diagram of the bed detail that could be used to recreated the pickup box? I have the irons for the bed.

What model number is on the body? There should be a metal plate on the firewall (viewed from inside the vehicle) above the transmission. Check the model number and the serial number ranges shown on the attached. I have a 1931 Dodge UF-10 which is a 1/2 ton canopy express.

post-35794-143138594181_thumb.jpg

post-35794-143138594187_thumb.jpg

The number plate on the firewall was no longer on the truck when I purchased it. There is a plate on the passenger side of the dash, however, it is going to take some work to raise anything that may have been on it. I believe there is a frame number, however, I have not located it yet. My 1930 U133 is near the left from spring mount. However, on the 1931 Merchants, I dont see one there. I will try to look at it again later this month when I get back to where it is being stored for the time being.

Farrellg if you could post a pict of what you have left concerning the bed I could possibly find some sort of a diagram for the box, something in the ball park at least for sure.

Bob, That is it. Only difference is that mine was not a canopy as near as we can tell. We do have the small window behind the door. Will have some pictures in a couple weeks as we get the part in one location to take pictures. This is a restoration someone started and did not complete. So we have to inventory what is there and do some box digging to see what we have. Thanks, these really help.

• 2 weeks later...

George, I have many photos such as this, they are in a very frgaile binder and I have not had the time to scan this yet so I have to be carefull with handling it which takes time in itself. I dont just plop the book down on my lap and wip open the pages in other words.

If you can look over this page, look for clues on this page to help me identify better specifically what you are looking for than maybe I can help by going back to the book and seeing if I have a listing of what you need.

Right now I am in the middle of a project, my time is very small so I simply cant start scanning random pages in hopes that I am able to give you whats needed but I am also anxious and willing to help in any way that I can.

Do you know how to enlarge the pict. ?

post-48869-143138610918_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

1930, that is a great picture. Thanks. If there are any pictures or details of the bed frame cross braces. Trying to determine the number and dimension of them. I assume like my 1 ton, there is a piece that runs along the frame and then the cross pieces. Also any detail if the front of the box. Again, thanks so much.

We were also able to locate/raise the frame vin number last night if that helps any (D235XXX). This truck was last registered as a 1931 DB Express in 1941. I also have a 1930 U133 and the cowl forward is almost identical. Chome radiator cover, chrome headlight rings and bumper.

I looked up that number (given your other information) and found the following:

serial #'s D135590 thru D-237361 ran from April 1928 through January 1932. Your number would indicate that it is a 1931 production.

Also, 124" wheelbase was only available as follows:

3/4 ton w/6cyl model DA-124

3/4 ton w/4cyl model U-124

So, it looks like you have a 3/4 ton 1931. My earlier statements were based on my canopy express which is a 1/2 ton. Evidently heavier trucks used the carryover 1929/30 cab design as shown in some sales brochures.

Edited by dodgedh2 (see edit history)

Dodgedh2, that makes sense. This was the 4 cylinder. I am assuming it was the 175.4 ci, but not entirely sure yet. The motor had been rebuilt by the previous owner but never started. It was kept dry and oiled so we should be in good shape. We have inventoried all the boxes it came in and have found very few pieces missing. I do have to come up with about 14 Kelsey rim locks. That is the one thing that was missing. But the search is half the fun. :)

George, work with me here and teach me something, you have the truck, I only have some literature so you and I can learn something hopefully. I know how agravating it is for someone to say they have something that can help someone but then nevr produce so I am making time this morning to do my best and I hope these will help, if not there are other places to look but I think this is a good start.

I will try and be direct with what I say so there is less confucion.

George is this your truck.....I am assuming it is

post-48869-143138612326_thumb.jpg

George, this may be the best I can do on detail inside the bed for now unless i run across something else, if you look closely you will see 7 ribs. I show in later pictures what a majority of the pictures show inside the bed, zero ribs

post-48869-143138612332_thumb.jpg

Mechanical description

I am assuming yours is a 3 speed, yes???

Look at the page #s, somehow I got them out of order, where you see missing pages is where I am assuming it does not pertain to your truck IE 4 speed trans

I am assuming that since in many cases they did not differentiate 1/2 ton from 3/4 ton within the mechanical specification images that the reason would be that the two units were just to similar, do you know this to be correct ???

post-48869-143138612343_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313861235_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612356_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612362_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612367_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612373_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612379_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612385_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612391_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612397_thumb.jpg

More Mech spec.

Best thing to do is look over the pages, print them out, if you see text missing than let me know, maybe I missed something

Again where they mention 1/2 ton I am assuming that many of the same facts are carried over to the 3/4 ton.

It would seem the way the book is broken up ( but with corresponding page numbers ) that the 1 ton was a whole different animal.

Sidenote:::: David, I need to look into this further with the truck parts book but I think the larger diam pump could have been designated for these trucks. Trouble is trying to put a face to the number.

All I have is the numbers so I will see what I can come up with by comparing the model specific 1928 truck pump numbers with the 29 and see if their were changes, go from there. I found this an interesting notion and I thought you might as well. Your Dodge Brother ;) Jason

post-48869-143138612403_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612409_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612415_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313861242_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612426_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612432_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612438_thumb.jpg

George, this is the view of many of the inteior beds, I guess that the larger models had a solid steel plate bed? That would be my guess.

There are many more photos that I can share but this is a good start I hope.

post-48869-143138612443_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138612449_thumb.jpg

1930, thank you so much for the picutures and information. To clarify, my truck did not have a canopy, it was just a pickup box on the 124" wheel base. Cab did have the small window behind the door. Rear of cab has two windows. I have included a picture of the cab. The motor is the 4 cylinder, transmission 3 speed, without the reverse thumb latch like is on my 1 Ton 4 speed. The book you have has a wealth of information. What is the book called?

post-69599-143138612465_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138612493_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138612519_thumb.jpg

Its a salesmans data book George, its not a bound published to the public book. They were intended to keep sales people up to speed on the different offerings avail.

This particular compilation of info is within a 3 ring small binder with a graham brothers logo on the front.

Evidently the pages were sent to a graham dealership, sad part about these books and the reason so few still exist is because when you received an updated section ( you will notice section identifications on the bottoms of the pages ) you were instructed to discard the old outdated sections so that there would be less confusion.

In the earlier books I have dealing with the 4cyl models as an example they uses the words tear out and destroy.

I buy the books when I can ( even though I dont have the particular model and have no intention of buying the particular models ) because it gives everyone the chance of getting the information they need instead of being stuck on a shelf until the current owner dies and then the book gets recycled again ( hopefully ) so no thanks is neccesary

1930, I really appreciate you scanning the pages. I know how much work that is. It certainly helps fill in the holes to what I have. I have a couple books I picked up. I have a reprint of the truck parts book from these years. I have the original Operators guide that came with my 1 Ton U133. Between the books, I can figure most things out. Tough thing is going to be recreating the bed wood on the Merchants without the detail. From the pictures, I have a much better start then 3 days ago. Thanks again.

George, no problem at all, what is the truck parts book you mentions, maybe I need a copy of something. Operators guide, that sounds interesting.

I have quite a few original truck parts books unfortunately the majority of them are Victory trucks although I do have a DA and some others that slip my mind.

I am always looking for info, I dont care if its a copy ( of course I prefer original ) the information is always helpfull with my hobby.

1930, The parts book is the Dodge Brothers Truck Master Parts List. It is a reprint I got on EBay. The other book is the instruction book that came with my U133 1 Ton. It covers a lot more than today's owners manuals. Has some engine adjustment specifications and brake adjustments. I have included copies of the covers.

post-69599-143138613426_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138613448_thumb.jpg

1930, are there any pictures in your books of the rocker panels of the cab? My cab, they were rotted out. I am currently making new ones. But one question I have is if the rockers are one piece from the beaded body line below the doors all the way to the interior of the cab. Also, how far into the cab they go?

post-69599-143138613549_thumb.jpg

Ill check but I am dont know if I can get anything that will show those details, I need the first few pages of that masters scanned if thats possible for you, I have an original and the first few pages are there but tore up pretty bad. I think 2-3 pages at most. If this is possible for you than e-mail me at jhason2@yahoo.com

Views like this are about as close as I am going to have and I doubt the views you need exist in any book that anyone has today, best bet is to find another similar truck owner within the roster and ask him for pictures. I may have this view specifically for your cab but this is the first one I ran across just to give you an idea. I am sure many of these measurements were standard.

Also I ran across a 3/4 ton parts book for your truck I forgot I had if you need any info from it

I have a 28 or 29 book dedicated to taxi cabs and the interior pictures remind me of this one only there are some much closer and detailed. Makes me wish I had a taxicab, for my own car I am lucky to have the same few crappy shots that show the same views. Signs of the depression I guess

post-48869-143138613573_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138613579_thumb.jpg

Nice interior details anyway on this one, looks like maybe a flip for 2 speed rear end ( just a guess ) and that door pocket shot is too die for

I am restoring a 28 Dodge Bros. Mine is the 3/4 ton "E" series Screenside. The frame is flat with no arches at the end. The last pictures shown look very similiar to mine.

I also purchased a 31 dodoge bros or parts and was it identical to the 28 except the were more streamlined. Both frame #'s start with a "S". This means they were build in Stockton CA.

Guest 1hooligan

Bob: I was just brousing by, and had to say wow what a great little truck.

And all of the fun is in the restoration and search. Regards Pat

Bob, Is this your truck? if so, any way to get some additional pictures of behind the rear fenders? I am trying to identify some parts I have from my truck and it looks like you may have the same thing on the pictures you posted. Look at this one of your pictures, just behind the passenger side fender, look like a tan triangle and view my pictures below.

post-69599-143138621333_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138621334_thumb.jpg

Guest wolver1ne
a couple of photos

Can I get a close up view of one of those center caps on this picture? I believe I foud a complete rear end (shaft, leaf springs, break leavers, fuel line & all ) of a 29 dodge brothers merchant express... One of the center caps was still intact. the emblem on it is a capitol DB interlaced together on what apears to be aluminum or forged of some lightweight metal of some kind...

• 3 months later...

hey i just purchased a 1929 db truck. it had wooden spoke wheels. it also has a thumb lock deal on the shifter. besides the silver dome engine # where on the frame is identification #s. trying to determine if it is a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton , the rear axle looks a little big to be a half ton. any help would be appreciated.

The thumb lock Gizzmo on the gear leaver is to stop reverse gear from being selected when going forward The leaver [thats the little one that you lift with thumb] has to be lifted to let gear leaver over to align up with the reverse selector otherwise the gear can't be engaged regards Ron